Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need able to assign device stay 5ghz

zhangy
Aspirant

Need able to assign device stay 5ghz

I just purchased the orbi yesterday. Like the idea of merge 2 band into one name. But my lg tv sometime switch to 2.4ghz and makes 4k streamming not working. Some device like google home mini next to it stay 5ghz all time. need a feature to manual assign which band device can use. Thanks
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Not really possible with Orbi. The system auto assigns where devices get connected automatically based on signal, noise, range and device support. There maybe factors causeing your TV to change frequencies like interferences and distance. 

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What channels are you using? Try manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and other unused channels on 5Ghz. 

Diable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming. 

Whats the distances between the router and satellites. 

Whats the distances between the router, satellite and TV? 

Message 2 of 11
zhangy
Aspirant

i guess it's because google home mini is always connected to wifi and the first time when it connect, it's lucky and connected to 5GHz. Even thought i don't think google home need a 5G at all.

while my tv is turn off and on everyday so when it's unlucky it's connected to 2.4GHz and stick with it.

really need a feature to assign manually so device could be useful when they need 5Ghz.

2.4G for 4k streamming is disaster.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What channels are you using? Try manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and other unused channels on 5Ghz.

Diable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

Whats the distances between the router and satellites.

Whats the distances between the router, satellite and TV?

Be sure your TV supports 5Ghz as well...check with the TVs Mfr for help and information...

Message 4 of 11
mith_it
Luminary

This is purely anecdotal, but I noticed some of my devices occasionally find themselves on a 2.4Ghz network instead of 5Ghz even if I'd have a closer satellite available.

It would be great if there was a way to "incentivize" clients to switch to the best and closest 5Ghz and use 2.4Ghz only when no better option exists.

Personal opinion is that Orbi is better than a regular extender, but isn't a refined system at this point.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 11
loomis1975
Luminary

Right now, I think one of the only things you can do for this situation is adjust the 2.4ghz transmit power level down 1 or 2 steps. It's not a cure all, but it might help. I too wish you could reserve which band to use, just like you can reserve ip address.
Message 6 of 11
martyfp
Luminary

@loomis1975 wrote:
 I too wish you could reserve which band to use, just like you can reserve ip address.

I 2nd that request.  It would be really beneficial for fixed-location devices that should always be able to connect to the same band.

Message 7 of 11
Schmak01
Apprentice

Just set this up today, on my old router I had separate 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks, looks like I will have to do that here.  I have a MacBook air on 5 G right next to my Surface Book 2 that I am typing this on, inches from each other, and the SB2 defaults to 2.4 which also never goes about 20 Mbps.  The 5 Ghz gets up to 80 Mbps, which is just shy of my connection.  This is highly annoying.

Message 8 of 11
loomis1975
Luminary

I ran into a similar problem with my work ultrabook Win10 which has an Intel ac 8265 wifi chipset. Since I couldn't fix it on the orbi end, I went into device manager and under advanced tab, changed preferred band to 5.2 ghz from no preference and roaming aggressiveness to medium-high from medium. This seems to be working for me, but would sure be nice to just force it on orbi end.
Message 9 of 11
Schmak01
Apprentice

That would be an option except my HDMI wireless adapter from MSFT requires the 2.4 radio to be turned on for the WiDi/Miracast. I created a shortcut to the properties on my desk top in the interim.
Message 10 of 11
martyfp
Luminary

@loomis1975 wrote:
 I went into device manager and under advanced tab, changed preferred band to 5.2 ghz from no preference and roaming aggressiveness to medium-high from medium. This seems to be working for me, but would sure be nice to just force it on orbi end.

I do the same on my laptop and desktop PC and both are working just fine on 5GHz only.  Without that setting, they would keep connecting to 2.4.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7