Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need advise on wifi extender

BonBon9
Tutor

Need advise on wifi extender

I have Google fiber and use my Nighthawk as my router. I need extenders added due to poor connection at different areas of my house. I have alot of walls that interfere with my connection. Is there something that can be recommended that works well? 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Need advise on wifi extender

What type of walls are they (what are they made of)? 

Do you by chance have ethernet or coax ran through the home (or both)?

How many are you thinking you'll need? (if its more than 1, its better to move to a true mesh system and not extenders)

Message 2 of 6
BonBon9
Tutor

Just the normal house walls. Our home is older, but from my understanding our kitchen appliances interfere with the connection. My office is at the front of the house next to the kitchen and the router is at the back of the house. 

I was thinking I may only need one. My doorbell and computer tend to have poor connection. Would mesh extenders work with what I currently have or would I have to start with all new products?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Normal house walls as in sheetrock and wood? 

Or plaster lathe walls? 

When you say normal and older house, it could be anything. 

If you're only needing one, then a single extender should work fine. 

I'm a fan of the triband extender as they don't take the throughput hit that the single/dual band extenders do. 

So they tend to be faster and more stable. 

Message 4 of 6
BonBon9
Tutor

Sheetrock and wood. Thanks for the advice, I will see if I can find the triband extender. Is that the name of it or does it have a specific name? 

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to find something and my wifi work like it should. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

the triband extenders are the EX7500, EX7700, EX8000

the orbi RBS40V and the RBS50Y also have an etender mode but are a bit more expensive. Every once in a while the RBS40V goes on sale pretty cheap and can be cheaper than the others. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7