Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need another ethernet port

sethm1
Guide

Need another ethernet port

Rbk50. 
This one only has 3 ethernet ports - I need a fourth.

I preordered the Wyze outdoor camera which comes with its own wifi base station. 
would I be able to use a splitter such as this....

https://www.amazon.com/Network-Ethernet-Splitter-Suitable-Connector/dp/B085ZSD6K6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=F0...

thx.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Wouldn't be overkill, switches are inexpensive and easy to setup. Turn ON and plug in play. Your up and running. You can plug any wired device into the RBS. 

@sethm1 wrote:

Thanks.  5 port is overkill.  But that wont degrade speed correct.

The satellite has ports right? So instead of the switch, I should be able to plug in the wyze base station into the orbi sattelite??

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

Not a good idea.  That splitter is a hack and only allows one device to be active at a time.  From that product's detail page:

But Beware that Ethernet splitter will not make two Ethernet ports from one, meaning that you cannot use two computers at the same time using this splitter. ONE AT A TIME ,doesn't support all computer to connect onto the internet simultaneously.

Instead, get an unmanaged network switch.  These allow multiple network devices to be active at the same time.  Avoid the "green" (less power) ones as there have been problems with them with Orbi (I think because they deactivate ports inappropriately).  For example: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07S98YLHM/

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Short answer, "no".  Notice the comment, "Cannot use two computers at the same time."

What you need is an inexpensive, unmanaged gigabit switch, such as the Netgear GS305

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07S98YLHM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchil... 

or the equivalent from any other vendor (I have TP-Link.  No particular reason.  Just what I bought at the time.)

Message 3 of 8
sethm1
Guide

The satellite has ports right? So instead of the switch, I should be able to plug in the wyze base station into the orbi sattelite??

Message 4 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@sethm1 wrote:

The satellite has ports right?  So instead of the switch, I should be able to plug in the wyze base station into the orbi sattelite??

Yes for both questions.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mikey94025is correct.

The Wyze camera controller can be connected to either the router or the satellite.  How well it will work depends on how strong the signal will be when it reaches the camera(s).  The farther the Wyze controller is from the actual cameras, the weaker the signal will be.

Yes, 5 ports is "overkill" for today.  What happens when day after tomorrow you want to connect something else to the Orbi router?

I now have an 8-port gigabit switch that has 7 of 8 ports in use.  I keep finding reasons to want "yet another" ethernet port on the Orbi.  First it was the printer.  Then another PC.  Then my first Raspberry Pi. Then my second Raspberry Pi.  Then my Powerline adapter. Then a way to connect my laptop for testing.  Then......  It just goes on and on.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Awful bad and misleading product, causing guaranteed nightmware for consumers.

The idea came from what used to be named Cable Splitter, deployed in pairs at the end of an installed "full" four pair cable two connectors with two pairs each, to be put in pairs on the end of an installed network cabe, allwing to run either two Fast Ethernet links or a Fast Ethernet link and a POTS phone over the same cable.

With all four pairs available on both ports, it can and will cause many kind of issues if to interfaces are connected. Powered off interfaces still have passive components changing impedance heavily if put in parallel, many modern interfaces keep the links up for WoL, and I don't want to think about what will happen in combination with PoE .... This all does kill the "only" product feature: Not having to unplug and replug network cables. 

And I can't wait for people coming to the community complaining that their switch does fail to establish an Ethernet link to whatever devices.

A 100% useless product! Fingers off!!!!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Wouldn't be overkill, switches are inexpensive and easy to setup. Turn ON and plug in play. Your up and running. You can plug any wired device into the RBS. 

@sethm1 wrote:

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7