Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need guidance on what models are needed

jthespartan
Tutor

Need guidance on what models are needed

I recenty moved to Virginia, and my house has ethernet cable running throughout it. I want to use an Orbi Router at the Verizon Fios point of entry in the basement. I also want to feed the ethernet cables that are running throughout my house with the same Orbi Router.

On the main floor I want to connect another Orbi Router (RBR40) to one of the ethernet ports (effectively connecting an Orbi Router to an Orbi Router via ethernet). This will better allow me to hard wire entertainment devices (AppleTV and such). It should also give me a stronger WiFi signal on the main floor.

On the second floor, I plan to use the Satellites that I already have (RBW30).

Does anybody see an issue with this setup? If all looks good, should I buy another RBR40 for the basement?

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Need guidance on what models are needed

Your best option is to have another Satellite not a Router. If you want to have only one SSID throughout the house, then you need only to have one Router and couple of Satellites.

So if you already have the RBR40 and RBW30 then you just need an additional RBS40 or RBS20. The RBS40 will give you more Ethernet ports than the RBS20.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
jthespartan
Tutor

And because I like pictures...

56A9EA12-3B60-4482-97B0-24CA7C07DDEB.png

Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Your best option is to have another Satellite not a Router. If you want to have only one SSID throughout the house, then you need only to have one Router and couple of Satellites.

So if you already have the RBR40 and RBW30 then you just need an additional RBS40 or RBS20. The RBS40 will give you more Ethernet ports than the RBS20.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 7
jthespartan
Tutor

Thanks for the advice! With that setup I'd put the RBR40 (which I already have) in the basement and the RBS40 (which I'd be buying) on the main floor, correct? No issue connecting the RBR40 to the RBS40 via an ethernet cable? I ask because I looked at the back of the RBS40 and I don't see a designated spot to receive traffic... I only see that on the RBS50.

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@jthespartan wrote:

.......With that setup I'd put the RBR40 (which I already have) in the basement and the RBS40 (which I'd be buying) on the main floor, correct? ...........

Correct

@jthespartan wrote:

........No issue connecting the RBR40 to the RBS40 via an ethernet cable? I ask because I looked at the back of the RBS40 and I don't see a designated spot to receive traffic... I only see that on the RBS50.

RBS40 has 4 LAN ports (please see picture below from the product's data sheet). You will need to connect one of those LAN ports to one of the LAN ports on the RBR40 to have a wired Backhaul.

Namnlöst.png

Message 5 of 7
jthespartan
Tutor

One final question... is it possible to go with a RBS50 instead of an RBS40 on the main floor (when using a RBR40 in the basement)? Having a tough timing finding a new RBS40... I can only find a new RBS50.

If that doesn't work, I have two choices... start from scratch with the RBK53 or buy a like new RBS40.

Message 6 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@jthespartan wrote:

One final question... is it possible to go with a RBS50 instead of an RBS40 on the main floor (when using a RBR40 in the basement)? Having a tough timing finding a new RBS40... I can only find a new RBS50.

If that doesn't work, I have two choices... start from scratch with the RBK53 or buy a like new RBS40.

Yes, RBS50 will work with your Router RBR40 but it will work exactly as an RBS40, that is with 2x2 backhaul instead of 4x4 backhaul since the RBR40 only supports 2x2 backhaul but that should be ok for the solution you plan to implement,

Good luck!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7