Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need help contacting Orbi to iAquaLink

Pc12349
Aspirant

Need help contacting Orbi to iAquaLink

I have a very large home (8,000sqft) & upgraded to the Orbi. I had no problem linking everything to this new system (Wifi is wonderful now). The only one I can not link it to, is the aqualink / pool controls. Before I had the nighthawk & i had a problem linking to it in the beginning also. I was able to link the pool to the plug in netgear30 extender. The pool company said "extenders you can link into easier." but the nighthawk is almost impossible because of the security... whatever, I was just happy it worked with the plug in extender. Now with the Orbi it's the same problem! I can't link into any of them. I saw another post with the same problem, but they never posted a solution. They were told the same thing that the Orbi is to "advance". I tried to plug in the old extender & link to Orbi. So I could run off of the old one, but they don't seem to be compatable. Any advise is much appreciated! Thank you
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

hi

is it a version 1 or 2

Message 2 of 6
GinaFitz
Aspirant

Hi - yes I have same question - and was wondering if anyone was able to use an extender.  I understand that for some reason the iAqualink will only connect to a 2.4ghz network (not a 5.0) ... and that perhaps the Orbi network isn't combatible even though it is supposed to be "smart" enough to know what to send.  So, I wondered if the extender worked. 

FYI  I just tried a nighthawk router as well to see if that works for us and am having trouble with the plug in extender ... cant seem to get that to connect to iAqualink... the signal just isn't strong enough to reach equipment I think.  Orbi signal was only one that reaches. 

Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@GinaFitzThe fact the the Orbi signal is strong enough to reach your equipment is misleading.  For an effective WiFi connection, the signal must be strong on both sides of the connection.  So, unless your iAquaLink is sending an equally strong signal back to where the Orbi is located, it may not work reliably.

If the pool controller supports wired connections, then your best bet is to run an Ethernet wire to it.

If the controller is WiFi only, then your best bet is to run an Ethernet wire as close as you can to the pool controller, then setup a cheap wireless access point (WAP) dedicated to the pool controller, and run it on 2.4 GHz only. If you have power outlets near the pool controller, you could setup a powerline adapter and connect the WAP to that.

Message 4 of 6
GinaFitz
Aspirant

Thank you st_shaw ... this is helpful. Certainly the iAqualink signal is not strong enough to reach all the way back to the home location of the router or extender ... it has such a short signal reach. That seems to be counterproductive in a way ....as this is why we need the reach of the extender. If this is the case, then I am not sure any solution will work for us . without some special cable wiring I suppose... just given where our home modem is located vs. the equipment (far away from the house). Separately, do you happen to know if Orbi modems work with iAqualink? If so I can at least settle on that and work towards how to move other stuff around. Thanks for the comments.
Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@GinaFitzSorry, but I don't have experience with the iAquaLink. I do have at least two devices that cannot talk to Orbi myself.  Some devices cannot handle a single SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7