Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need help on updating Orbi RBR40/RBW30 firmwares

BleedingCash
Tutor

Need help on updating Orbi RBR40/RBW30 firmwares

Hi,

I need some advice on what to do.  I have the RBK33 kit, which includes the RBR40 base and the RBW30 satellites.  When I first installed them, I manually updated them to firwares 2.2.1.210 for the base and 2.2.1.204 for the satellites.  It seems that the base has been updating itself and is currently at 2.3.1.44 with a status of "V2.3.1.58", but the satellites are still at 2.2.1.204 with a status of "Waiting for connection".  I guess I might as well get the base and satellites up to the latest, but I don't know how to proceed.  I know that the satellites were supposed to be updated first, but it looks like the auto-update messed that up.

- Should I downgrade the base back to 2.2.1.210, then upgrade the satellites to the latest (2.3.0.4) and then upgrade the base to the latest (2.3.1.58)?

- Should I update the satellites as-is right now all the way up to the latest and then do the base to the latest and say "oh well" in regards to upgrading them in the proper order of "satellites first and then base"?

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
BleedingCash
Tutor

I just wanted to report back.  Everything went well.  Steps taken were as follows (to help myself in the future, if needed):

1. Disconnected the router base from my modem so that it had no internet so that the router base wouldn't automatically update itself while I'm trying to update the satellites first.
  2. Over wifi, logged in to the router and manually downgraded the firmware of the router directly from 2.3.1.44 to 2.2.1.210.
  3. Had to unplug and replug in the satellites to their electrical outlets to get them to change from "Waiting for connection" to "No internet" so that I could update their firmwares.
  4. Updated the firmwares of the satellites (one at a time for my own feeling of comfort) directly from 2.2.1.204 to 2.3.0.4.
  5. Updated the firmware of the router base directly from 2.2.1.210 to 2.3.1.58.
  6. Plugged the router base back into the modem.

Internet is up and running and statuses are good on all 3 devices.

Thanks for the help, Furry!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if you can downgrade the RBR, then upgrade the RBWs first. Once the RBWs are fully updated, then update the RBR to the latest v58 version. Manually download and push the FW files. 

Message 2 of 12
BleedingCash
Tutor

Hi Furry,

Thanks.  Do I have to downgrade in steps, or can I just jump all the way back down to 2.2.1.210 for the base?  Same sort of question for the upgrades...when I go up, can I skip all firmware levels and go straight to the latest, or do I have to do them in steps?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can go to v210 I believe...

You can go directly to v58 on the RBWs first. For the RBR, you may need v212 first, then v58. 

Message 4 of 12
BleedingCash
Tutor

Hi Furry,

Okay.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it works....Good Luck.

Message 6 of 12
BleedingCash
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hope it works....Good Luck.

Thanks.  Last question.  Should I disconnect the base from my modem during the manual downgrade/upgrade process to make sure that the base doesn't try to update itself automatically before I finish manually upgrading the satellites, or will this totally crash the manual firmware update process?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you could do that if you wish. 

Message 8 of 12
BleedingCash
Tutor

I just wanted to report back.  Everything went well.  Steps taken were as follows (to help myself in the future, if needed):

1. Disconnected the router base from my modem so that it had no internet so that the router base wouldn't automatically update itself while I'm trying to update the satellites first.
  2. Over wifi, logged in to the router and manually downgraded the firmware of the router directly from 2.3.1.44 to 2.2.1.210.
  3. Had to unplug and replug in the satellites to their electrical outlets to get them to change from "Waiting for connection" to "No internet" so that I could update their firmwares.
  4. Updated the firmwares of the satellites (one at a time for my own feeling of comfort) directly from 2.2.1.204 to 2.3.0.4.
  5. Updated the firmware of the router base directly from 2.2.1.210 to 2.3.1.58.
  6. Plugged the router base back into the modem.

Internet is up and running and statuses are good on all 3 devices.

Thanks for the help, Furry!

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it all working. Mark your thread as sovled so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
BleedingCash
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Glad you got it all working. Mark your thread as sovled so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Got it.  Thanks.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos