Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help with Advanced Connection settings for RBR50: Verizon Wireless / Samsung S9 App Data Issue

AG11937
Follower

Need help with Advanced Connection settings for RBR50: Verizon Wireless / Samsung S9 App Data Issue

Hi, I'm running the Orbi AC3000 System (RBR50 plus 2 satellites) in Router Mode and I need help and guidance making adjustments to some of the advanced networking settings to fix a connectivity issue with certain apps on my Samsung S9 (my carrier is Verizon Wireless, and my ISP is Spectrum-Cablevisible).

The Orbi system runs at a second house in a rural area. The Verizon Wiresless mobile network is barely at one bar at my house, so I use an Orbi wifi network spread across 2  daisy chained satellites for all calling and data done at the house. I've been away for a few weeks, but since being back, I'm having serious connectivity issues with certain apps when I'm only using wifi.  Wifi Calling works flawlessly, as does most of my data, including browsing, email, streaming video, skype, etc.  But a handful of apps that I use are now unable to use data or access the network. This wasn't a problem when I was here last, but there has been a firmware update to the phone.

Since only some apps are having this issue, it occurs me that perhaps some of the specific nework protociols required are not cofigured correcting in some of the very technical advanced wireless settting. Does anyone have any exprerince with how best to configure the network to fix this issue, and allow whatever specific network protocols are requiired. The apps that have issues on the wifi network (not when I'm on the mobile network anywhere else) include some of the social networking apps, a dating app, a travel app, and maybe one or two more?

Orbi is running the most recent firmware (V2.5.1.8), and the location relative to the router or satellites makes no difference. I've tried various combititions of enabling and disabling things like BEAMFORMING, Fast Roaming, MU-MIMO etc and it hasn't made any difference. Any ideas assistance would be much appreciated.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need help with Advanced Connection settings for RBR50: Verizon Wireless / Samsung S9 App Data I

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Enable Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Need help with Advanced Connection settings for RBR50: Verizon Wireless / Samsung S9 App Data I

@AG11937 wrote:

This wasn't a problem when I was here last, but there has been a firmware update to the phone.

I would take this as a "clue" and look toward Verizon for a solution.  Nothing changed on the Orbi.  Firmware changed on the phone.  Now the phone is having problems with certain apps.  Perhaps look on Verizon message boards?  An alternative might be to delete and reinstall those apps.

If you are willing to expend a lot of time and energy, the LAN/WAN traffic on the Orbi can be captured and examined by a packet browsing program, such as Wireshark.  (wireshark.org)  Use the Orbi "debug" facility to turn on "LAN/WAN" capture.  Begin a capture, than use the phone for several applications (some that work. some that fail.)  Then, turn off the LAN/WAN capture.  Save the debug file to your computer.  Unzip it.  Open the LAN file with Wireshark.  Knowing the IP address of the phone, look for packets from the phone.  (Wireshark can filter on IP address (ip.addr == 192.168.1.x)

This is tedious and time-consuming.  Oh, look.  My phone does a DNS query for "Facebook.com".  Now, it tries to open a connection to that IP address. Now it....  This can take HOURS.  (I do it frequently.)

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Enable Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Please provide feed back to question presented. 

@AG11937 wrote:

Hi, I'm running the Orbi AC3000 System (RBR50 plus 2 satellites) in Router Mode and I need help and guidance making adjustments to some of the advanced networking settings to fix a connectivity issue with certain apps on my Samsung S9 (my carrier is Verizon Wireless, and my ISP is Spectrum-Cablevisible).

The Orbi system runs at a second house in a rural area. The Verizon Wiresless mobile network is barely at one bar at my house, so I use an Orbi wifi network spread across 2  daisy chained satellites for all calling and data done at the house. I've been away for a few weeks, but since being back, I'm having serious connectivity issues with certain apps when I'm only using wifi.  Wifi Calling works flawlessly, as does most of my data, including browsing, email, streaming video, skype, etc.  But a handful of apps that I use are now unable to use data or access the network. This wasn't a problem when I was here last, but there has been a firmware update to the phone.

Since only some apps are having this issue, it occurs me that perhaps some of the specific nework protociols required are not cofigured correcting in some of the very technical advanced wireless settting. Does anyone have any exprerince with how best to configure the network to fix this issue, and allow whatever specific network protocols are requiired. The apps that have issues on the wifi network (not when I'm on the mobile network anywhere else) include some of the social networking apps, a dating app, a travel app, and maybe one or two more?

Orbi is running the most recent firmware (V2.5.1.8), and the location relative to the router or satellites makes no difference. I've tried various combititions of enabling and disabling things like BEAMFORMING, Fast Roaming, MU-MIMO etc and it hasn't made any difference. Any ideas assistance would be much appreciated.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7