Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help with NETGEAR Orbi

Cooltwou
Aspirant

Need help with NETGEAR Orbi

Also don’t see my model type here:
Router Orbi: RBR40
Orbi Satellite: RBS40

I am having a problem here I got the router to connect to the app but the satellite has never turned blue at all it has turned white green orange & red.
I have hooked the Satellite several places upstairs & I have hooked up 3 places downstairs & I last had it hooked up with like 2 inches from the router so I am not sure what the problem is.
Also can you use the Ethernet cable already connected to your modem.
One question the quick start guide only gave 7 steps & it never listed where you are post to put the satellite at.
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need help with NETGEAR Orbi

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. The RBS needs to be connected to the RBR. 

I would first get the RBS connect while in the same room as the RBR. 

For wired back haul:
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

Message 2 of 8
Cooltwou
Aspirant

I don’t know what FW is on them because I have never made it that far to find out.
The Modem is Motorola Model number: MB7220.
I don’t know many Sq Ft the house is.
Also the time I tried to connect the Router & the Satellite they where right next to each like inches apart & they where both on top of the computer desk we have.
Also I tried connect the Satellite in my bedroom & living room another bedroom & 3 places in the kitchen & no luck at all.
I only have one Satellite & what do you mean by IP Address reservations
Message 3 of 8
Cooltwou
Aspirant

Still help here I don’t know how to tell what the problem is either because I have never encountered this problem setting up a router before.
Message 4 of 8
Cooltwou
Aspirant

I have got the router to connect but not the Satellite & the Satellite always flashes white & the white never cuts off & I get green & orange & maybe red & I have done hard reset & eveything like that & nothing helps.
Also I tried to manual update the satellite but before you can do that it has to detect the satellite.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Factory reset the RBS using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, Then press the black sync button on the Orbi router then press sync button on the RBS. Do this while having the RBS in same room as RBR. 

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected in final placement in home.

Message 6 of 8
Cooltwou
Aspirant

Also I can’t tell firmware is for the satellite because it never detects the satellite at all & I don’t know any other way to find the firmware for the Satellite.
I have done that & nothing changed & it’s in the same room as the router & the Satellite never quit blinking white I thank the Satellite is defective because no matter how long you have the Satellite hooked up it never quits flashing white
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

One thing to try, connect up a wired PC to the back of the satellite. Power it off then back on, wait about 5 minutes. See if the PC get a 192.168.1.something address, if it does, try to log in to the RBS at 192.168.1.254 in a web browser. If not, then RBS needs to be replaced. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7