Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need some advice to move to Orbi or stick with Ubiquiti Unifi in my situation

RedskinsFan
Follower

Need some advice to move to Orbi or stick with Ubiquiti Unifi in my situation

Hello everyone,

I have been a very happy Ubiquiti Unifi user in my home. I have ~7,000 square feet across 3 levels. I have just one AP centrally located on my top level ceiling mounted over POE which is located as such that gets entire coverage (pretty impressive if you ask me) in my home across all levels. It is basic drywall and wood studs interior which may explain it.

The issue I am having now is I setup several outdoor Nest cameras (4 over wifi) and am finding them not to work very well. They get disconnected or are on the fringe. I had an old Ubiquiti Unifi AP which I hooked up so I had 2 near the front of my home but I don't know if its a matter of having a separate SSID, the fact the channels may be conflicting (I set them up separate) or the fact the front of my home is brick or I cannot get close enough to where I have POE to power the cameras but I can't get a decent signal outside. I even puchased an Ubiquiti mesh device but its only powered over POE so not much help.

My home is pretty well wired with ethernet throughout so I thought that I could leverage the wired backhaul on the Orbi to get better coverage in my deck/yard and front driveways as well to power everything. Based on the size of the home I thought the AC3000 from Costco would be a good fit but am concerned I am reading about firmware issues and possibly restarting of devices, etc. I have literally had NO issues with my Ubiquiti after setting it up for almost 2 years. I have Gigabit Fios at my home but still through my AP I am only getting 200 MB up and down and also think I should get more with the Orbi. I have Cat 5E through my home and only using Gigabit cables between my router and switch and would only use them to the Orbi.

At this point not sure if I should get additional Ubiquiti products or not (and since they are POE like the Mesh device that is a bit of an issue). I know I am on a Netgear forum so may be biased but hoping I can get some advice here. Is the AC3000 overkill? I want the best speeds and coverage possible.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need some advice to move to Orbi or stick with Ubiquiti Unifi in my situation

"If it works, don't fix it!"

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7