Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need to change WiFi password but can't get anywhere to change it.

Taurus548
Aspirant

Need to change WiFi password but can't get anywhere to change it.

I need to change my WIFI access password but can't seem to get any where to change it. The ORBI APP just wants me to set up the system I can't access all the other bits. There seems to be multiple things wrong with my set up.

One thing at a time. I have it set up with modem and am trying to use it as just a router. My provider insists I use their modem. So I take an ethernet cable from the modem and plug into the RBR50 but if I plug it in to the internet port that has the yellow highlight around it, no connection is made (Cell phone says could not get IP address from DHCP). If I then plug it straight in to one of the ethernet ports then I have WiFi internet but the router has red light coming out of it around the top.

Is this a problem before I go any further.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Need to change WiFi password but can't get anywhere to change it.

The only way an Orbi will work in router mode is to connect the yellow WAN port to the ISP modem with an ethernet cable.  It is often a good practice to power off both the modem and Orbi, connect the cable, power on the modem and wait until all the lights come on correctly, and finally power on the Orbi.  Quoting Netgear's web site: "Your Orbi router ring LED might pulse magenta for the following reasons: the WAN port link is down, the router is unable to get the IP address from the modem or ISP, or the router is unable to connect to the Internet. "  All the colors are explained here: https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean

Just to be clear: the ISP device is a "modem only" or a "modem/router"?

How many ethernet ports are on the ISP modem?

What is the make/model of the ISP modem?

Message 2 of 15
Taurus548
Aspirant

To be clear, when I set up with ethernet cable running to an ethernet port instead of the internet port I get excellant wifi from both the Orbi modem and satelitte, but the modem has a Magenta ring permanently on it, no pulsing. I think it is telling me the the set up is wrong. But it has worked well for a year and a half delivering excellant WiFi throughout my home. Unfortunately somebody in the neighboughhood must know the default FiWi password and is now stealing my internet and so I need to change the WiFi password. However I cannot get in to the admin for the Orbi to change it.

I have tried again by shifting the ethernet cable from the router to the internet port instead of the ethernet, then press the sync button and the magenta ring goes away. Unfortunately now when I try to connect to the Orbi WiFi network the devices all say "Couldn't get IP address"

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Taurus548 wrote:

To be clear, when I set up with ethernet cable running to an ethernet port instead of the internet port I get excellant wifi from both the Orbi modem and satelitte, but the modem has a Magenta ring permanently on it, no pulsing. I think it is telling me the the set up is wrong. But it has worked well for a year and a half delivering excellant WiFi throughout my home. Unfortunately somebody in the neighboughhood must know the default FiWi password and is now stealing my internet and so I need to change the WiFi password. However I cannot get in to the admin for the Orbi to change it.

I have tried again by shifting the ethernet cable from the router to the internet port instead of the ethernet, then press the sync button and the magenta ring goes away. Unfortunately now when I try to connect to the Orbi WiFi network the devices all say "Couldn't get IP address"

Message 4 of 15
Taurus548
Aspirant

Huawei 659g is the model number of the ISP I use.

Message 5 of 15
Taurus548
Aspirant

As far as Firmware on the ORBI I cannot get into the Admin page so would not be able to tell you.

Message 6 of 15
Taurus548
Aspirant

Sorry model of ISP Provided is Huawei 659b (not g).

Message 7 of 15
Taurus548
Aspirant

Modem/ Router

Message 8 of 15
Taurus548
Aspirant

The ISP device is a modem router.

The ISP device has 4 Ethernet points and is a Huawei 659b.

Message 9 of 15

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode.

Setup Bridge Mode - Huawei HG659/HG659b | Spark NZ

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Many people put their Orbis into AP mode.

Message 10 of 15
Taurus548
Aspirant

I have been trying to set up the ORBI as an a Wifi Access point (A/P), but I cannot get into the admin part to make the changes.

Message 11 of 15

@Taurus548 wrote:

I have been trying to set up the ORBI as an a Wifi Access point (A/P), but I cannot get into the admin part to make the changes.

Do you mean that the Orbi is in AP mode and you cannot get into the browser graphical user interface?

Or are you trying to set it up in AP mode?

If it is the latter, then this conversation may help:

Orbi RBR40 - not able to switch to AP - NETGEAR Communities

If it is the first, then how are you trying to get into the Orbi?

Message 12 of 15
Taurus548
Aspirant

No it is not in A/P mode as far as I know. But as I can't get into the administration page (i.e.use IP address in web-browser and then log in) I really don't know what state it is in.

Message 13 of 15

This discussion is going all over the place.

For a start, the title does not really represent what you want to do. Which password are we talking about?

You said:

Unfortunately somebody in the neighboughhood must know the default FiWi password and is now stealing my internet and so I need to change the WiFi password.

It would be nice to have evidence of that.

Later on you say:

This does not need any password change.

Take this task a step at a time.

You have a modem/router. You say it is Huawei 659b, but Google suggests that it is probably Huawei hg659b. This message explains how to put it into bridge mode:

Setup Bridge Mode - Huawei HG659/HG659b | Spark NZ

If you do not want to do that, but prefer the Orbi in AP mode, I posted a link to another discussion that would have explained to you how to do that. I see no  response from you suggesting that you tread that discussion.

So I will repeat the key bit here:

If you want to put an Orbi router into AP mode, it can be easier to do this "off line". Do what the manual advises, configure the Orbi router before you connect it to your modem.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Read the section Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point.

In either case, modem in bridge mode or Orbi in AP mode, you will need to set up the local network correctly, which means doing things in the correct order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You should then be able to get into your Orbi to change its wifi password.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Skip the wizard and after entering in a admin PW and setting up that portion of the wizard, go in and configure AP mode on the RBR directly under Advanced tab/Advanced settings/Router and AP mode. Once you get this setup and apply the change, then connect the RBR to the ISP modem. 

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Taurus548 wrote:

I need to change my WIFI access password but can't seem to get any where to change it. The ORBI APP just wants me to set up the system I can't access all the other bits. There seems to be multiple things wrong with my set up.

One thing at a time. I have it set up with modem and am trying to use it as just a router. My provider insists I use their modem. So I take an ethernet cable from the modem and plug into the RBR50 but if I plug it in to the internet port that has the yellow highlight around it, no connection is made (Cell phone says could not get IP address from DHCP). If I then plug it straight in to one of the ethernet ports then I have WiFi internet but the router has red light coming out of it around the top.

Is this a problem before I go any further.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7