Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need to reboot daily.

nelsonrl
Aspirant

Need to reboot daily.

I have had to reboot my RBR50 and RBS50 almost daily for the past few days to keep the internet reachable.   Firmware is V2.2.1.210.  Very straight forward config - daisy chain is off.  Again, nothing fancy.  Is this happening to others?  Should I downgrade the firmware?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
nelsonrl
Aspirant

Re: Need to reboot daily.

I guess I will call this one solved.  I downleveled the firmware, Netgear upleveled back to what had.  The system seems to be stable again.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 17

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Please tell us more about your setup. Is Orbi in Router or AP Mode? What ISP modem are you using? Wired or wireless backhaul? What devices (wired/wireless) type do you have? When the problem happens can you login to Orbi? What is the status of the Internet Port when this happens (in the web GUI under >>ADVANCED>>ADVANCED HOME>>INTERNET PORT>>STATUS)?
Message 2 of 17
nelsonrl
Aspirant

Wireless backhaul, Netgear cable modem.   Orbi is setup as a router.   I have about 20 devices ranging from Samsung TVs, MacBooks, ipads, YAMAHA receiver, thermostats, light switches, etc.  I can log into the Rbr50 without a problem.   The satellite disconnects when this happens.  

Will check internet port next time it happens,

Message 3 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Thanks,
- Are you sure that the cable modem doesn’t have any router functionality?
- Which of your devices are wired to Orbi?
Message 4 of 17
nelsonrl
Aspirant

I am positive that the cable modem is just a modem and nothing more. Only devises hardwired are the cable modem to the RBR50 and the AV receiver to the RBS50. The AV receiver has not been powered on the last 3 or 4 times this has happened.
Message 5 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@nelsonrl wrote:

........The satellite disconnects when this happens.  

How do you see that the satellite disconnect? What about other devices, any device will loose wifi connectivity when this happens?

You have only one satellite, right? Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled?

@nelsonrl wrote:

Will check internet port next time it happens,

Can you please check what lease time your ISP has in the INTERNET PORT STATUS.

Message 6 of 17
nelsonrl
Aspirant

I see the satellite is disconnected by logging into the RBR50.   Only one satellite and daisy chain is turned off.   I have a second satellite ordered.   A couple of devices do loose connectivity when this happens.   I do not see lease time on my modem, but will keep looking,

Message 7 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@nelsonrl wrote:

.......   I do not see lease time on my modem, but will keep looking,

You should be always to see the lease time in Orbi under >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> INTERNET PORT >> CONNECTION STATUS as follwos:

Namnlöst 2 (2).png

Message 8 of 17
nelsonrl
Aspirant

0C671752-15E7-448F-A400-8A465932872A.jpeg

Message 9 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Please post the snapshot as an attachement otherwise I will not be able to see the picture until a moderator approves it. 🙂 Thanks

Message 10 of 17
nelsonrl
Aspirant

Lease Obtained 1 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes
Lease Expires 0 Days, 22 Hours, 1 Minutes
Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6

@nelsonrl wrote:

I have had to reboot my RBR50 and RBS50 almost daily for the past few days to keep the internet reachable.   Firmware is V2.2.1.210.  Very straight forward config - daisy chain is off.  Again, nothing fancy.  Is this happening to others?  Should I downgrade the firmware?

Message 12 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@nelsonrl wrote:

Lease Obtained 1 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes
Lease Expires 0 Days, 22 Hours, 1 Minutes

It seems that 1 day is too long and something -for some reason- happens that causes WAN to just "freezes". I noticed this in my system as well with others.

The only thing that confuses me is that you also say that the satellite disconnects when you get this issue which should have nothing to do with the WAN port.

If you can get the status of the internet port when the issue happens then we can probably conclude if it's the WAN port or not. We can then try to reduce the time that Orbi asks for lease renewal to 1 hor and see if that helps. This can be done with telnet commands.

Message 13 of 17
nelsonrl
Aspirant

For what it’s worth, I downleveled the firmware. The issue has cleared for the past 1 1/2 days. Not ready to declare victory just yet.
Message 14 of 17
nelsonrl
Aspirant

I guess I will call this one solved.  I downleveled the firmware, Netgear upleveled back to what had.  The system seems to be stable again.

Message 15 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

There is a new version in testing right now -- it looks stable and has resolved quite a few issues, so that is something to look forward to.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time you upgrade, try do a manual FW update with web browers and PC. Factory reset the router and setup from scratch. There are other postings about how Auto Update causes problems, usually a factory reset and setup from scratch fixes this, however sometimes a manual load of FW and reset and setup from scratch gets the system to stablize. v210 has been working for others. 

I would check out the beta as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@nelsonrl wrote:

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7