Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nest Camera Increased Drops

Tgterm
Guide

Nest Camera Increased Drops

Not news to anyone here that this happens...but my drop rate has gotten ridiculous!  About once per hour, based on the emails I get from the Nest. 

When I contacted Nest, they informed me that Orbi is on the 'incompatible with Nest Camera list'.  Didn't realize it was that bad.

Anyone find any peace with this?  Besides getting rid of their Orbi, that is...

Thanks.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
Tgterm
Guide

Just noticed the other thread, so apologize for posting again.  I have sent a request to try out the beta firmware with the correction for this.  Has anyone had any success with that?

Thanks!

Message 2 of 11
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

@Tgtermwrote:

Just noticed the other thread, so apologize for posting again.  I have sent a request to try out the beta firmware with the correction for this.  Has anyone had any success with that?

Thanks!

No, the newer firmware won't help you. The software development for the Orbi's is a garbage fire.

However, we also have Nest cameras and were able to make them stable. While it might not work for you, a way to avoid the drops is to have all the Nest cameras connect only to your Orbi router.

If they connet to satellites, you'll see the issue you described. A long time ago, there were wifi problems with the Nests, but for the past 8+ months it's just backhaul problems. You'll notice it more with the Nest cameras because drops there are more obvious.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 11
Tgterm
Guide

So...dumb question...is there any way to get the camera to connect to the router if it is nearer to a satellite?  I have noticed that sometimes the camera is connected to a satellite (I have 2 sats and one router) that is further away than the one that is closer to it, but I have never seen it connect to the router directly in its current location.  Can anything be done to get it to do that?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

@Tgtermwrote:

So...dumb question...is there any way to get the camera to connect to the router if it is nearer to a satellite?  I have noticed that sometimes the camera is connected to a satellite (I have 2 sats and one router) that is further away than the one that is closer to it, but I have never seen it connect to the router directly in its current location.  Can anything be done to get it to do that?

Thanks!

The question isn't dumb, but the answer is.

The only way to ensure that the router is what your Nest Cameras connect to is to position the router closest to the Nests (and then restart them). Depending on your home layout, that may not be possible.

If more advanced options where available on the Orbi, such as the ability to have SSID's that are only used on a specific AP, then you'd be able to do it. However, the Orbi software development is nowhere near a level where a feature like that would be considered. They can't even get their modest feature set to work with any sort of reliablity.

Message 5 of 11
Tgterm
Guide

That's what I was afraid of...thanks very much for the input!  Just restarted my Orbi router to see if that might have any effect, but I am no too optimistic...

Message 6 of 11
Tgterm
Guide

Rebooted my router, and my nest camera connected to the router!  Go figure...

Message 7 of 11
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

Great! As long as the camera stays on the Orbi Router, it should be stable.

A word of advice when testing, don't use your home wifi :-). If the device you're testing from is using an Orbi Satellite, it will certainly cut out from time to time. Either use your phone's cell data or some other connection for testing. I made that mistake when chasing it down the first time.

Message 8 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

I have 5 Nest cameras and haven't had any Nest camera drops with my Orbi once they released the fixed firmware (that didn't require beamforming turned off).  This was a long time ago.

3 of my cameras are connected to a satellite (I have 3 of them) and the other 2 are connected to the router.  I'm running V2.0.1.4 now but I was also running V2.1.xx before downgrading (after the recent announcement that they were pulling the V2.1 release).

Message 9 of 11
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

@Mikey94025 Cool story bro. 

What help is it to say "works for me" when somebody is clearly having a problem? 

Message 10 of 11
Tgterm
Guide

Don't want to speak too soon, but I went all night without any drop emails from the nest.  Whatever is responsible- the reboot or the direct to router connection- seems to have made the camera happy.  Thanks!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7