Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nest Hello and Orbi : my two cents (regarding DNS, and WiFi issues...)

Anthony_L
Aspirant

Nest Hello and Orbi : my two cents (regarding DNS, and WiFi issues...)

Hi,

My two cents regarding Nest Hello / Orbi issues :

To start with, I've installed my Nest Hello in a non optimal way : it is installed "flush" inside a concrete post of my fence (concrete walls and posts + metal fence), with a piece of laser cut stainless steel to cover it up, so that it looks like a regular wired video intercom for most people.

WiFi :

The RBS50 sattellite in my garden is placed only 3m away from the doorbell, but it happens to be placed just behind the back of the concrete post and just below the level of the metal fence : I had many disconnexions.

I've then changed the position of my my router (which is 12m away from the doorbell) so that it is placed higher than the fence and not in the alignment of the concrete posts. And it has been connecting flawlessly to my WiFi network since then.

==> So I would say that strategic placement, and a bit of testing in the field could help some people to troubleshout that kind of issues.

DNS :

Despite the quality of the connexion, I also had disconnexions that I believe were depending on which DNS I'm using.

I was using 1.1.1.1 as my primary DNS and had lots of disconnexions (I chose this DNS because they are supposed to keep less data compared to Google or my internet provider's DNS).

So I switched back to Google 8.8.8.8 DNS which is probably "optimized" for their own products, and had no issues since then.

FYI. In this configuration, I'm finally using my router (placed in a higher spot) + 1 satellite.

I also have MiMo and Beamforming enabled without issues.

Voilà!

Hope it helps! I spent a lot of time trying yo make it work, so I thought this could be useful to some others, since I didn't see this DNS issue discussed much often!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nest Hello and Orbi : my two cents (regarding DNS, and WiFi issues...)

Thank you for sharing this. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7