Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nest Thermostat with Orbi - Unable to Connect

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Nest Thermostat with Orbi - Unable to Connect

Hi, I have two Nest thermostats that refuse to connect to my Orbi. I spoke with Nest tech support and they said that this is a known issue and that I need to enable ports 80, 443, 9443, 9543. How do I do this, and has anyone else had this issue?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's working! Odd, but after I put the Orbi in AP mode and completely disconnected from the Internet (whoops), I reset the Orbi to get back to square one and after setting it up I noticed that the Nest downstairs was connected. I went upstairs and tried to connect the other Nest and...it worked! All I did was reset the Orbi after putting it in AP mode in error.

One of my Nest's did have a message that it was last updated on January 24, so maybe that has something to do with it too. 

Thanks all!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
timch
Luminary

I have a Nest thermostat and it connects perfectly.  I haven’t enabled any ports so the only thing I can think to suggest is to make sure that you have the Orbi in AP mode if it is getting its internet connection from another router.

Message 2 of 8
Joelcc
Tutor

I also have a Nest Thermostat. I don’t recall having to anything special to connect it to Orbi. It just worked after scanning WiFi, selecting it, and entering the password from the Nest. My Orbi setup is also in wireless AP mode (wireless AP from cable modem/Xfinity is disabled).

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 8
sfsdfd
Star

I had a second-generation Nest, too. It worked OK, if not great, with the Orbi for about a year, but the 2.1.1.16 upgrade came along and just... totally broke it. I couldn't connect to the network at all.

I rolled back my Orbi to 2.0.0.74 (which had worked OK before) - and yet, the problems did not resolve. The Nest claimed to be able to connect to the network, but I could never get an "app key" via the network to re-add the thermostat to my account.

Get this: When I called Nest tech support, they asked me to check the network config page... where I found that ping value between the Nest and the Orbi was...11,000 ms. That's right: a ping of 11 seconds. The Nest was literally 20 feet away and with unbroken line-of-sight from the Orbi base station.

I have no idea what happened, but it was clear that I wasn't going to be able to reconnect my Nest to the network (or my Nest Protect smoke detectors, which pull their network settings from the thermostat - and hence also could not connect). I ended up buying a new Nest thermostat and connecting it to the network, and that worked fine.

tron1982x, I didn't have to do any port configuration to get the new Nest online - nor did tech support suggest that during my call with them about the old one.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
Joelcc
Tutor

I'm on the current latest firmware 2.1.2.18 FWIW. Installed same day it was released and haven't had any issues with any any of the connected devices.

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks

wrote:

I have a Nest thermostat and it connects perfectly.  I haven’t enabled any ports so the only thing I can think to suggest is to make sure that you have the Orbi in AP mode if it is getting its internet connection from another router.

Thanks for the tip, but I put my Orbi in AP mode but it gronked the entire internet (I had to reset and setup my Orbi again)...!

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

wrote:

I had a second-generation Nest, too. It worked OK, if not great, with the Orbi for about a year, but the 2.1.1.16 upgrade came along and just... totally broke it. I couldn't connect to the network at all.

I rolled back my Orbi to 2.0.0.74 (which had worked OK before) - and yet, the problems did not resolve. The Nest claimed to be able to connect to the network, but I could never get an "app key" via the network to re-add the thermostat to my account.

Get this: When I called Nest tech support, they asked me to check the network config page... where I found that ping value between the Nest and the Orbi was...11,000 ms. That's right: a ping of 11 seconds. The Nest was literally 20 feet away and with unbroken line-of-sight from the Orbi base station.

I have no idea what happened, but it was clear that I wasn't going to be able to reconnect my Nest to the network (or my Nest Protect smoke detectors, which pull their network settings from the thermostat - and hence also could not connect). I ended up buying a new Nest thermostat and connecting it to the network, and that worked fine.

tron1982x, I didn't have to do any port configuration to get the new Nest online - nor did tech support suggest that during my call with them about the old one.

Thank you for this response, it's much appreciated. Man, I don't know what to do now.

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It's working! Odd, but after I put the Orbi in AP mode and completely disconnected from the Internet (whoops), I reset the Orbi to get back to square one and after setting it up I noticed that the Nest downstairs was connected. I went upstairs and tried to connect the other Nest and...it worked! All I did was reset the Orbi after putting it in AP mode in error.

One of my Nest's did have a message that it was last updated on January 24, so maybe that has something to do with it too. 

Thanks all!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7