Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nest X Yale lock disconnects

dalewebb
Aspirant

Nest X Yale lock disconnects

Orbi RBR40 plus 2 satellites

Have many Nest products including thermostat, Nest Protects, Nest Hello, and a Nest X Yale lock.  The Nest x Yale lock keeps dropping it's connection (maybe other devices are too; I don't know).  The Nest x Yale tech support agent is blaming the router (Orbi with 2 satellites).  Anyone else have trouble with this device?  Any clues how to fix it?  Firmwear is up-to-date.

Dale Webb

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
dalewebb
Aspirant

Thank you for all your help.  I think I have my modem bridged and the PPPoE set up on the router.  Things appear to be working fine.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@dalewebb wrote:

The Nest x Yale lock keeps dropping it's connection

"Dropping its connection" can mean different things:

• The device disappears from the Orbi "Attached Devices" display.
  • The app that controls the device stops functioning.

Is it correct to assume that the lock appeared to install correctly and operated successfully for a period of time?

How does the lock get reconnected?

Thanks

Message 3 of 14
dalewebb
Aspirant

I'll try and answer all your questions:

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Model NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatus
RouterRBR40RBR40V2.3.5.30No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBW30Orbi Satellite-1V2.3.5.6No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBW30Orbi Satellite-2V2.3.0.4No new firmware version available.

Zyxel C3000Z

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

About 1200 sq ft.  Modem and router are in the basement.  Satellite 1 is almost directly above the modem/router in the upstairs.  Satellite 2 is about 20 feet from satellite 1.

What channels are you using?

2.4 Ghz: 11

5 Ghz: 48

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

My phone "sees" about 4 wifi networks.  Most are quite weak.

Is it correct to assume that the lock appeared to install correctly and operated successfully for a period of time?

Lock has operated successfully for up to a month, then will go offline (Nest app tells me it is offline.  Guess I don't know exactly what that means.)  Nest tech support tells me the LOCK is offline.  The Nest Connect is working nominally.

How does the lock get reconnected?

Occasionally, it just seems to reconnect without intervention.  Usually, I have to remove the batteries for a time and then put them back in to reconnect.

I'll try the suggested changes in your list.

Thank you.

Dale Webb

Message 4 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

2.3.5.6 shows as the current firmware for the RBW30.  Might be worth a few minutes to download the firmware from the support site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBW30.aspx#RBW30%20Firmware%20Version%202.3.5.6 

Unzip the file, navigate to the satellite web page, and then do a manual firmware update.

What does the Attached Devices display show the lock connected to? (router, satellite1, satellite2)

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

@dalewebb wrote:

Zyxel C3000Z

This has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

About 1200 sq ft.  Modem and router are in the basement.  Satellite 1 is almost directly above the modem/router in the upstairs.  Satellite 2 is about 20 feet from satellite 1.

The distance between the RBWs and RBR is too close. This is probably causing too much wifi signal over lap between these devcies. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 6 of 14
dalewebb
Aspirant

I called Centurylink to configure my modem (Zyxel C3000Z) to bridging mode and all he had me do was switch the WAN settings from the current PPPoE setting to Transparent Bridging.  My internet went away.  He said now, I needed to contact Netgear to configure the router.  Is there an article somewhere to configure the Orbi router?

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the user manual for Orbi 

https://www.netgear.com/support/

If your using PPPoE, you'll need the account login and PW for your PPPoE account with your ISP. 

Message 8 of 14
dalewebb
Aspirant

I have been using PPPoE for a long time and I have the modem's router radios turned off.  The lock has stayed "attached" for the last 24 hours.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, when the ISP modem is briged, the PPPoE connect needs to be now handled by the RBR. The PPPoE account information needs to be input in the RBRs web page. 

Message 10 of 14
dalewebb
Aspirant

Can't find anywhere to input the PPPoE information in the Orbi configuration software.  Can you help?

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 12 of 14
dalewebb
Aspirant

Thank you for all your help.  I think I have my modem bridged and the PPPoE set up on the router.  Things appear to be working fine.

Thanks again.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation