Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nest camera drops

Nest camera drops

Is there a stable firmware & settings for using the ORBI RBR50/RBS50 with the indoor Nest Camera in the UK?

Symptoms: Camera streams for a period of time then either (a) feed drops entirely, (b) video stream freezer with audio still live, or (c) video frozen with no sound. Happens through Google Home/Nest App/Nest website across Android Mobiles/Nest Max Hub/Windows PCs. Sick of that blue spinning ring.

Setup:

RBR50 + RBS50 firmware V2.6.1.40

2.4 Ghz channel 11.

5 Ghz channel 36 (have also tried 48)

House c.2000 sq ft. Orbi seperation distance difficult to tell prob 20-25 ft but through a couple of walls & floor.

(I bought this specifically for the dedicated back haul to effectively wire in gaming pc and work laptop - aware that it is overkill for sq. ft of house - generally the performance is awesome)

Tried all the suggested variations of:

20/40 MHz Coexistence on/off  [Currently off] [I live in semi-rural area... so this won't cause issues with neighbours]

Daisy Chain on/off [Currently off]

Enable Mu-MIMO on/off [Currently off]

Enable Implicit Beamforming on/off [Currently on]

So many variations of Transmit power (low 2.4 high 5, high 2.4 low 5, high 2.4 high 5... med/low low/med low/high...) [Currently 100% - 100%]

Enable SSID Broadcast 5 Ghz band on/off [Currently on]

Non-router settings varied:

Telnet commands to turn off the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands on the Satellite only.

Both the camera and Orbis have been factory reset (once each) & power cycled (multiple times in various orders).

Nest Camera quality tried on low/med/high

All devices that can be ethernet wired in have been

Test using Sonos speakers in each of Wifi / SonosNet modes (using 2.4 Ghz channel 1)

Devices that could cause interference have been moved.

Armour +/- Circle off.

With these things left constant:

WMM enabled for both bands

CTS/RTS at 2347 both bands

Preamble Auto

Fast Roaming Disabled

Security WPA2-PSK

Router Mode

UPnP Enabled

DNS servers set to Google.

Broadband connection is 500 Mb per second [and is outstanding across all devices]

Guest network off

Things not yet done:

Telnet to turn off 5ghz on both satellite and router (but leave 2.4 in place on both).

Static IP made available for the nest camera.

Fiance is about ready to strangle me... And I'm frustrated as there's isn't any obvious reason for the conflict/issues.

It felt like the situation was more stable before the firmware was auto-upgraded c. 2 weeks ago (to 2.5.2.4) [but we weren't using it as much then]. I've since manually updated to FW 2.6.1.40. Unfortunately I don't know what firmware I had before 2.5.2.4 when i thought it was stable.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@SteveLivingston wrote:

Is there a stable firmware & settings for using the ORBI RBR50/RBS50 with the indoor Nest Camera in the UK?

Symptoms: Camera streams for a period of time then either (a) feed drops entirely, (b) video stream freezer with audio still live, or (c) video frozen with no sound. Happens through Google Home/Nest App/Nest website across Android Mobiles/Nest Max Hub/Windows PCs. Sick of that blue spinning ring.

Setup:

RBR50 + RBS50 firmware V2.6.1.40

2.4 Ghz channel 11.

5 Ghz channel 36 (have also tried 48)

House c.2000 sq ft. Orbi seperation distance difficult to tell prob 20-25 ft but through a couple of walls & floor.

20-25 feet would probabaly be too close. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What is the distance of the camera to the RBR or RBS? 

(I bought this specifically for the dedicated back haul to effectively wire in gaming pc and work laptop - aware that it is overkill for sq. ft of house - generally the performance is awesome)

Tried all the suggested variations of:

20/40 MHz Coexistence on/off  [Currently off] [I live in semi-rural area... so this won't cause issues with neighbours]

Daisy Chain on/off [Currently off]

Enable Mu-MIMO on/off [Currently off]

Enable Implicit Beamforming on/off [Currently on]

So many variations of Transmit power (low 2.4 high 5, high 2.4 low 5, high 2.4 high 5... med/low low/med low/high...) [Currently 100% - 100%]

Enable SSID Broadcast 5 Ghz band on/off [Currently on]

Non-router settings varied:

Telnet commands to turn off the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands on the Satellite only.

Both the camera and Orbis have been factory reset (once each) & power cycled (multiple times in various orders).

Nest Camera quality tried on low/med/high

All devices that can be ethernet wired in have been

Test using Sonos speakers in each of Wifi / SonosNet modes (using 2.4 Ghz channel 1)

Devices that could cause interference have been moved.

Armour +/- Circle off.

With these things left constant:

WMM enabled for both bands

CTS/RTS at 2347 both bands

Preamble Auto

Fast Roaming Disabled

Security WPA2-PSK

Router Mode

UPnP Enabled

DNS servers set to Google.

Broadband connection is 500 Mb per second [and is outstanding across all devices]

Guest network off

Things not yet done:

Telnet to turn off 5ghz on both satellite and router (but leave 2.4 in place on both).

Static IP made available for the nest camera.

Fiance is about ready to strangle me... And I'm frustrated as there's isn't any obvious reason for the conflict/issues.

It felt like the situation was more stable before the firmware was auto-upgraded c. 2 weeks ago (to 2.5.2.4) [but we weren't using it as much then]. I've since manually updated to FW 2.6.1.40. Unfortunately I don't know what firmware I had before 2.5.2.4 when i thought it was stable. Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 13

Thanks for getting involved so fast.

Distance Router-Satellite. With the arrangement of rooms eeking out any extra distance is not hugely viable.

- The connection is absolutely rock solid for anything other device (wired/wireless)

- I can see wireless devices attaching to each of the satellite and router connections

- The Nest Camera is the only thing displaying any ill symptoms.

Camera to Router... 20-25 ft.

Camera to Satellite... 5-10 ft.

Factory reset and setup from scratch have been completed since last FW applied.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You might turn OFF the RBS and see if the cameras will change behavior with the RBR alone. 

I would make sure NEST cameras are updated as well. Contact NEST support for additional help and information regarding there products. 

WiFi over lap is important between the RBS and RBR. Too close causes too much over lap thus causing problems for some wifi devices. 

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@SteveLivingston wrote:

The Nest Camera is the only WiFi device having problems?

One step people commonly take is to connect the camera to a different WiFi source. For example, do you have a smartphone that can create a Hot Spot?

Is the WiFi router that was replaced by Orbi still available?  It could be plugged in temporarily with the same SSID/password as the Orbi.

I did not see mention of moving the Nest camera to different locations. (Maybe I missed it, sorry).

Message 5 of 13
vajim
Master

Message 6 of 13

Only the Nest Camera has issues.

Going to try the following tomorrow and see what happens.

1) See if FW update available on the Nest Camera

2) Use a non-Orbi Router [Which is some bog standard piece of rubbish supplied by Hyperoptic]

3) Run RBR only [Not a long term solution]

4) RBR and RBS both on... But shift the two as far apart as physically possible.

Will let you know how I get on.

From searching forums here it doesn't feel like I'm the 1st person to have Netgear-Nest issues.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 8 of 13
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know how it goes. 

Especially the part of WiFi overlap 

Message 9 of 13

Going to get on to Nest customer services. Issues persisted with the non-Orbi router.

Thanks for help so far... hopefully they send out a new cam which doesn't suffer the same problem.

Message 10 of 13
vajim
Master

@SteveLivingston wrote:

Going to get on to Nest customer services. Issues persisted with the non-Orbi router.

Thanks for help so far... hopefully they send out a new cam which doesn't suffer the same problem.

Thanks for the update 

please share with us what you find out.  

Message 11 of 13

New camera sorted the issue. Streams pretty perfectly now.
Message 12 of 13
vajim
Master

@SteveLivingston wrote:
New camera sorted the issue. Streams pretty perfectly now.

Thanks

Issue resolved?

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7