Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nest issues much improved

hdorfan
Follower

Nest issues much improved

I have an Orbi router and 2 satelites. 2 outdoor NestCams, 8 indoor NestCams and 2 NestProtects, all running on my Orbi network.  Dropouts were an unexplained and repeating problem until about the time the new firmware war released.  (cause and effect?) Things are much better now without disablin Beam Forming.

Someone asked if the firmaware up date helped.  I cant find that postRE

Message 1 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello hdorfan

Thanks for the feedback I was asking about this and our engineers are still working on the issues that is happening with these products.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 15
bs6mjb
Tutor

Hi Darren, my Orbi is working great but nest cams are the only devices which are seeing disconnects (beam forming is disabled). Are we likely to see new firmware before Christmas?
Message 3 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello bs6mjb

I have no ETA on firmware but I do know that they are still working to make nest devices work better.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 15
Yld2rob
Luminary

As soon as I enable Mu-MIMO and Beamforming, my Nest cameras start going off line

Message 5 of 15
dmystic1
Apprentice

Does the new firmware fix the Nest issue?  My Orbi is boxed up until this is fixed, so appreciete on getting updates from you guys.

Message 6 of 15
Yld2rob
Luminary

See my previous post. I just tried enababling Beamforming and MIMO on my ORBI with the router on the latest firmware. Within 10 minutes, my Nest cameras started going offline. It is NOT an issue as long as you DO NOT enable Beamforming and MIMO. Which honestly is dumb. We should be able to enable these two features. 

Message 7 of 15
dmystic1
Apprentice

I saw your post but there was a new firmware released yesterday.

Message 8 of 15
Yld2rob
Luminary

I just saw that and downloaded 4.0.34 and enabled beamforming and MIMO. Now to wait and see if they disconnect. I will respond back with my results

Message 9 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

I tried the latest 4.0.34 and soon after my Nest cameras disconnected, so no improvement for me.  This is not surprising since the release notes don't say anything about it.  I'm just leaving beamforming off and then no problems with my Nest cameras.

Message 10 of 15
dmystic1
Apprentice

I just find it strange that other netgear router (I have an R9000) that does not have an issue and beamforming is on. Maybe it has more to do with the combined ssid?
Message 11 of 15
Yld2rob
Luminary

Issue NOT fixed. About 45 minutes after I enabled MIMO and Beamforming, the Dropcam cameras started going offline. Still waiting...... Come on Netgear!

Message 12 of 15
adaptdabull
Tutor

I'm having this same issue with or without beamforming on my Orbi with two satellites. Happens to my Dropcam Pro camera, and Nest Protect fire alarm. This is unaccpetable. Just bought the router, and was enjoying it before seeing these issues, and may need to return.

Message 13 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello adaptdabull

Have you tried to position the satellite in a different location. or change the wireless channels 

DarrenM

Message 14 of 15
adaptdabull
Tutor

Yes. I've even tried removing both satellites altogether and change the MTU size (from 1500 to 1350). Still getting several alert emails and notifications. The fluctuations in speed from my tests is also very bad. One second to the next I'll go from 350mbps down to 30mbps down, then back up to 130mbps, to 4mbps. Been experiencing this across roughly four different firmware that I downgraded to. Funny thing is, when I first set up the Orbi system, the speed was consistently 300-350mbps everywhere in my home. I picked up Google Wifi and Erro mesh systems and going to compare over the next few days. If the experience is less wrought with bugs elsewhere I'm likely going to switch to a competitor and suggest to my friends and family to do the same, until we the customers no longer beta test for Netgear. Just my $0.02 on the matter. Thanks.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7