Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear ORBI RBK53

snow999
Follower

NetGear ORBI RBK53

Hello,

I'm about to buy an Orbi RBK 53 home wifi extender with 2 satelites,  but I may need to add more satelites.  My house is large about 6000sq feet and extends over a fairly large area.  My question s more about my Internet speed from my ISP.  I currently have 150mbit\sec and have the option to upgrade to 500mbit\sec or 1000mbit\sec.  Given that the satellites cannot connect to the devices in my home at higher than 800mbit\sec for 5g and 400mb\sec for 2.4g is there any point in upgrading my Internet speed beyond 500mbit given that the the devices can only connect to the Orbi at less than this.  I'm assuming that in some areas of the house i will have to use 2.4g due to the large floor area.

I'd appreciate your help

Thank you

Seamus

Message 1 of 3
Starbucky
Apprentice

Re: NetGear ORBI RBK53

It depends on how many devices you have. If you have wired devices then they can take the extra ISP bandwidth. Also in theory it's 866+400, where you add the capacity of both radios. I've seen some of my stationary wireless devices jump between 5 and 2.4 also depending on other mobile wifi clients roaming and I guess interference/quality of signal fluctuating. If you have many devices simultaneously using the WAN then more more bandwidth would typically be better.     

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NetGear ORBI RBK53

What is the Mfr and model of the current ISP modem? Built in router.

When you upgrade ISP service, will the modem be changed out. 

If the new modem has a built in router, you should use the Orbi system in AP mode. 

Also distances between router and Satellies are a factory. I have just 1 Satellite that covers the remote side of a 5000sq ft house. Coverage, range and performance is steller. Distance between router and Satellite is about 40-50 feet. 

@snow999wrote:

Hello,

I'm about to buy an Orbi RBK 53 home wifi extender with 2 satelites,  but I may need to add more satelites.  My house is large about 6000sq feet and extends over a fairly large area.  My question s more about my Internet speed from my ISP.  I currently have 150mbit\sec and have the option to upgrade to 500mbit\sec or 1000mbit\sec.  Given that the satellites cannot connect to the devices in my home at higher than 800mbit\sec for 5g and 400mb\sec for 2.4g is there any point in upgrading my Internet speed beyond 500mbit given that the the devices can only connect to the Orbi at less than this.  I'm assuming that in some areas of the house i will have to use 2.4g due to the large floor area.

I'd appreciate your help

Thank you

Seamus

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7