Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear CM1100 modem and Orbi Issues

JRob555
Aspirant

Netgear CM1100 modem and Orbi Issues

I have a Netgear modem that worked fine with a Netgear tri-band AC Nighthawk router (can't recall actual model).  I upgraded and bought the Orbi with two satelites RBK 53 to increase the coverage.  I've updated the firmware for both. 

I can get both up and running, but anytime i reset anything I have a terrible time getting the modem and router to sync when I reboot.  The ethernet lights on the modem go orange and the orbi disconnects.  When connected to a PC, there error is that there is no ethernet connected to the Orbi.  Also, if I plug an ethernet cable into the back of the Orbi from another computer, it totally crashes the system.  I'd be greatful for any help!  When it works the coverage and speeds are amazing.

Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Netgear CM1100 modem and Orbi Issues

@JRob555 wrote:

I have a Netgear modem ....

What is the model/type of this modem?

There is a NG modem that is dual (modem/router) that require special configuration

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:

@JRob555 wrote:

I have a Netgear modem ....

What is the model/type of this modem?

There is a NG modem that is dual (modem/router) that require special configuration

looks like the Netgear CM1100 is NOT dual.  I beleive you said at one point it was working then you reset it?

Message 3 of 9
JRob555
Aspirant

It's just a basic CM1100.  No router.  It's been working fine for over a year w/ a different Nighthawk router, but I've had challenges keeping it working w/ the new Orbi system.  I've had to reset it a few time since I purchased it.  I have to time the boot of the modem with the boot of the Orbi or I'll get the yellow ethernet lights.  Takes me about 5 tries and then I'm afraid to touch it.  Is it a DNS issue?  Do I need to power off the satellites when I reboot the router?  I'm just guessing but I don't think this is a sustainable situation.

Message 4 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My recommendation would be to try the setup from the beginning.  Get the Orbi router working first.  At that point you may want to login to the orbi router and look at the settings (DNS??)

Then bring in one of the sats (30' in distance) and then the other.  

Message 5 of 9
JRob555
Aspirant

Thank you sir.  I'll give it a try later this evening.

Message 6 of 9
JRob555
Aspirant

Sorry - just to be clear:  I should factory reset the Orbi, bring it online, connect w/ the satellites, then hook up to the modem?

Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JRob555 wrote:

Sorry - just to be clear:  I should factory reset the Orbi, bring it online, connect w/ the satellites, then hook up to the modem?

No...if it were me I wouldn't worry about a factory reset at this point (unless you bought this orbi used..??).  Normally the modem is set up first using the cable from your ISP outlet.  Then run a ethernet cable fromm the modem to the Orbi router.  At that point, if the Orbi settles down (no light on the upper rim) then try and hook up a PC to the Orbi (ethernet) and verify internet connection.  From there try adding a sat.

Think of the way you had your system before the Orbi.  The Orbi router now replaces the old NG router.

Message 8 of 9
JRob555
Aspirant

Thanks VAJim.  I tried a lot of things and it was just too buggy.  I re-hooked up my Nighthawk X6 and everything works flawlessly.  I don't get the speed or the coverage using extenders but it works.  I like the mesh concept a lot but I'll be returning this to Costco.  Thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7