Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear-Guest Open and Disabling Firmware Updates

FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact a forum moderator for help and information regarding this:

@Blanca_O 

@jrsheets wrote:
This is happening to me also.. Any Fix??? ON the latest version of the RBS50Y Firmware. Thanks

Message 26 of 33
jrsheets
Tutor

Why would we contact a forum moderator for this? It would seem that posting the problem on here and then the moderator (or others) responding to the issue on here would be much more beneficial than sending a PM to a moderator. If the response is always contact a moderator, what is the point of having a community forum? That completely negates the whole point of a forum. Is this some triple top secret problem / solution that shouldn’t be public?
Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 27 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Some forum problems can't be resolved here in the forums, like this one, so users need to either contact NG support or a forum moderator. 

Good Luck. 

Message 28 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@jrsheets wrote:
Why would we contact a forum moderator for this? It would seem that posting the problem on here and then the moderator (or others) responding to the issue on here would be much more beneficial than sending a PM to a moderator. If the response is always contact a moderator, what is the point of having a community forum? That completely negates the whole point of a forum. Is this some triple top secret problem / solution that shouldn’t be public?

The community forum is a web site where Netgear customers can discuss Netgear products amoung themselves. Netgear support and engineering staff do not participate in the forums.  Often people have questions that others have found answers to and this saves them the cost of buying a support contract.  The vast majority of posts are resolved this way.

When no one has come up with a solution, the only way to get Netgear's attention seems to be (a) paying for GearHead support, or (b) asking a forum moderator to use their contacts.  This problem with the RBS50Y appears to be this kind of problem.

Message 29 of 33
pdeethardt
Apprentice

@jrsheets wrote:

Nothing secret about it, just a possible solution that requires certain personal information that shouldn't be posted publicly. 

Message 30 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

Reading through the posts, it appears to me that:

• The problem may be cosmetic rather than serious. Message #24 indicates that connecting to this unwanted NETGEAR-GUEST WiFi does not result in access to the internet. If that is correct, it would seem to make the problem less critical than other issues Netgear engineers may be tasked with solving.
  • Message #11 indicates that loading firmware v2.3.5.32 on the RBS50Y and not doing a factory reset removes the  ghost WiFi network. This leaves the user with a choice between  (a) making the ghost WiFi that offers no access go away or (b) having whatever mysterious 'security vulnerability' fixes that are present in the new firmware.
  • A forum moderator has reached out to at least two customers and has stated that the engineering team is aware of the problem. Those conversations are private, so the rest of us have no idea what is going on with them. Maybe they have been offered a beta version to test? (Maybe not.)

This seems pretty much 'par for the course' with Netgear firmware.

Message 31 of 33
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I see that firmware version 2.7.3.22 was released for the RBS50Y on July 30th. Has anyone tried updating yet, and does it resolve the phanton guest SSIDs? I plan on updating my system tomorrow.

Message 32 of 33
jrsheets
Tutor

Yes @pdeethardt - at least mine appears to have auto-updated to that version on my RBR50 and RBS50Y and the phantom Netgear-Guest network that was previously being announced from the RBS50Y has disappeared. 

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7