Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear-Guest Open and Disabling Firmware Updates

Vandergraff
Apprentice

Netgear-Guest Open and Disabling Firmware Updates

As many have reported I often see a Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network even when Guest Networks are disabled.

I trraced the issue to one of my 3 satelittes - an RBS50Y.

Netgear lists two firmware versions (for Orbi Mode on the RBS50Y on their website). 

• Version 2.6.2.104
  • Version 2.3.5.32

When the RBS50Y runs 2.6.2.104 the Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network is there when the RBS50Y runs 2.3.5.32 its gone. So I keep loading the 2.3.5.32 firmware to the RBS50Y (fixing the issue) and the RBS50Y keeps automatically updating its firmware to 2.6.2.104 and the issue comes back....

From other posts here it seems that Netgear stopped doing automatic firmare updates on the Orbis but I no longer see that option in the browser interface.

So really 2 issues

• Can Netgear please stop the appearance on the Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network I have seen this reported for at least a couple of years.
  • How to stop the RBS50Y from updating its firmware (2.3.5.32 is still listed on the website so supposedly still current?)

Thanks

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear-Guest Open and Disabling Firmware Updates

Did you factory reset the RBSY unit after the FW is updated and then set it up from scratch to see if the GN still appears? 

Message 2 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@Vandergraff wrote:

As many have reported I often see a Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network even when Guest Networks are disabled.

Is "Netgear-Guest" the actual name of the Orbi guest network that is disabled? (I created a diffferent guest SSID on my Orbi.)

Message 3 of 33
schumaku
Guru

I remember @Vandergraff "open" guest network posts very well. 

Suspect much more a sync or update problem from the primary router where the config happens to the various satellite models supported somehow.

This still happens on "modern" WiFi 6 Orbis, sometimes in wireless backhaul, sometimes in wired backhaul configuration.

Message 4 of 33
Vandergraff
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset the RBSY unit after the FW is updated and then set it up from scratch to see if the GN still appears? 

Yes

Message 5 of 33
Vandergraff
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Vandergraff wrote:

Is "Netgear-Guest" the actual name of the Orbi guest network that is disabled? (I created a diffferent guest SSID on my Orbi.)

No its not the name of the disabled Guest Network (I also used a different guest SSID). I never set up a Guest Network with the name "Netgear-Guest"

Thanks

Message 6 of 33
Vandergraff
Apprentice

@schumaku wrote:

I remember @Vandergraff "open" guest network posts very well. 

Suspect much more a sync or update problem from the primary router where the config happens to the various satellite models supported somehow.

This still happens on "modern" WiFi 6 Orbis, sometimes in wireless backhaul, sometimes in wired backhaul configuration.

The thing is it is quite repeatable.

When the RBS50Y runs 2.6.2.104 the Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network is there when the RBS50Y runs 2.3.5.32 its gone.  

Thanks

Message 7 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@Vandergraff wrote:

When the RBS50Y runs 2.6.2.104 the Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network is there when the RBS50Y runs 2.3.5.32 its gone.  

Can you humor me with an experiment?  Enable guest WiFi and report whether there are now two guest WiFi networks, or only one?

Since the main problem is a desire to not have an "open" WiFi system, I would be tempted to enable a Guest network with a totally impossible to crack password, such as "BetYouWillNeverGuessMoreThan4OrLessThan250OfThesePasswordLetters!"

That only works, of course, if enabling your own "guest" WiFi network makes Netgear-Guest disappear.

Also still amazed that the RBS50Y updates firmware without any action on the user's part.

Message 8 of 33
Vandergraff
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Vandergraff wrote:

Can you humor me with an experiment?  Enable guest WiFi and report whether there are now two guest WiFi networks, or only one?

Since the main problem is a desire to not have an "open" WiFi system, I would be tempted to enable a Guest network with a totally impossible to crack password, such as "BetYouWillNeverGuessMoreThan4OrLessThan250OfThesePasswordLetters!"

That only works, of course, if enabling your own "guest" WiFi network makes Netgear-Guest disappear.

Also still amazed that the RBS50Y updates firmware without any action on the user's part.

With 2.3.5.32 and a secure Guest Network enabled Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network isn't there (but it wasn't anyway without the Guest Network enabled).

Last week with 2.6.2.104 and a secure Guest Network enabled Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network was there.

If I have time in next few days I will try 2.6.2.104 again with a secure Guest Network enabled

Message 9 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Have the same issue. After FW Update Orbi Shows Netgear-Guest. Reset Orbi or on/off do not fix the problem. Restart complete system also do not fix issue. When I activate real guest network Netgear-Guest disappears. Is their a real solution for this issue?
I can’t believe ist that their always issues when updating Orbi.
For this amount of money I though I get some better stuff. The last time I buying something from netgear. Their are so much trouble always with Orbi. This waste my time and money
Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 10 of 33
Sundried
Aspirant

One thing to add on all of this - I had the same problem on the RBS50Y re the netgear_guest, and it was on regardless of having the guest network enabled or not on the other satellites with a different SSID when version 2.6.2.104 was installed

Taking the satellite back to 2.3.5.32 solved the issue. However, one thing I discovered after I went back to the prior firmware is that the latest version seemed to be stored in the satellite - so on reset to factory settings the firmware seems to be upgraded back to the latest version that causes the issue (this may explain some of the comments re the firmware is automatically updated).  It looks like on reset to factory settings you then also need to do a re application of the older firmware version.

Message 11 of 33
Sundried
Aspirant

To be clear - not complaining about auto updates - I was prompted to take the latest firmware and agreed.

The complaint would be that the most recent firmware has a bug in it that seems to create an open guest network on the rbs50y outdoor satellite.

This is fixed by going back to the previous version of the firmware - which would imply it is a bug somewhere (or there are a lot of users out there who don’t know how to use the system as it seems to be a common problem with these outdoor devices)

However, if you do a factory reset the satellite seems to auto install the latest version of the firmware and so the issue comes back. Easily solved by reinstalling the earlier firmware, but irritating.

It is only an issue with the outdoor 50y - I have three other indoor satellites and these do not suffer from the issue

Message 12 of 33
Vandergraff
Apprentice

@Sundried wrote:

Taking the satellite back to 2.3.5.32 solved the issue. However, one thing I discovered after I went back to the prior firmware is that the latest version seemed to be stored in the satellite - so on reset to factory settings the firmware seems to be upgraded back to the latest version that causes the issue (this may explain some of the comments re the firmware is automatically updated).  It looks like on reset to factory settings you then also need to do a re application of the older firmware version.

Yes that is probably what I was seeing. Per  FURRYe38 recommendations I (repeatedly) tried doing a factory reset. That was probably what kept loading the latest firmware.

Going back to 2.3.5.32 always solved the issue - no recent factory resets and still on 2.3.5.32 and everything good on the outdoor RBS50Y - and yes it's just the RBS50Y. My other RBS50 satellites run fine on their latest firmware.

Message 13 of 33
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

This has been brought up already and the product team are investigating on the issue. 

@Vandergraff @Retired_Member @Sundried 
Please check your inbox. I have sent you a message requesting for more information. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 14 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi after weeks and weeks of issues with the Orbi system I kicked of my house. I will never buy a netgear product. Since I bough the junk I had only troubles. FW does not work properly satellite did. no connect wlan troubles. And the support from netgear is the worst I have ever experienced
Message 15 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

@Vandergraff wrote:

@Sundried wrote:

Yes that is probably what I was seeing. Per  FURRYe38 recommendations I (repeatedly) tried doing a factory reset. That was probably what kept loading the latest firmware.

Going back to 2.3.5.32 always solved the issue - no recent factory resets and still on 2.3.5.32 and everything good on the outdoor RBS50Y - and yes it's just the RBS50Y. My other RBS50 satellites run fine on their latest firmware.

Message 16 of 33
Vandergraff
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 but it is not solved. If I use the latest firmware on the RBS50Y then the issue is there. Only by going back to an older version of firmware does the issue go away. I should be able to run the latest (and presumably most secure) firmware on the RBS50Y.

Netgear support has reached out to see if we can find out more about what is going on.

Thanks

Message 17 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 18 of 33
computersteve
Apprentice

This is happening to me also.. Any Fix??? ON the latest version of the RBS50Y Firmware. 

Message 19 of 33
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @computersteve

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 20 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue. Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network even with guest network turned off. This is frustrating. When will a fix be avaible?

Message 21 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact a forum moderator for help and information regarding this:

@Blanca_O 

Thank you. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

I'm having the same issue. Netgear-Guest Open WiFi Network even with guest network turned off. This is frustrating. When will a fix be avaible?

Message 22 of 33
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I just added a new RBS50Y and updated to firmware 2.6.2.104, and I'm seeing the same issue with both the Netgear-Guest SSID and the SSID I created for my guest network both being broadcast without the guest network being enabled. I realize a fix is in the works, but I just wanted to chime in.

I did try connecting to both of the guest SSIDs, and I noticed that they do not have a internet connection, so they appear to be more of an annoyance than a security issue. I also tried manually configuring my network settings to see if I could get internet access on either SSID, and no dice.

Message 23 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact a forum moderator for help and information regarding this:

@Blanca_O 

@pdeethardt wrote:

I just added a new RBS50Y and updated to firmware 2.6.2.104, and I'm seeing the same issue with both the Netgear-Guest SSID and the SSID I created for my guest network both being broadcast without the guest network being enabled. I realize a fix is in the works, but I just wanted to chime in.

I did try connecting to both of the guest SSIDs, and I noticed that they do not have a internet connection, so they appear to be more of an annoyance than a security issue. I also tried manually configuring my network settings to see if I could get internet access on either SSID, and no dice.

Message 24 of 33
jrsheets
Tutor

This is happening to me also.. Any Fix??? ON the latest version of the RBS50Y Firmware. Thanks
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7