Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 vs Orbi system

FredrikS
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 vs Orbi system

Hi.

Currently I have a Linsys VELOP system (ac2200) with two nodes in my house of 1400 sqf. But the reception is not good enough and I need more ports on the satelite. The house has a chimnie in the middle and no ways of having wired connections making it a bit tricky.

I have looked at both the ORBI RBK50 system but also the EX8000 and then a good router to that (maybe a R8000P). Does that router have Fastlane so it will be a good Mesh setup and will it be faster/better than a Orbi setup?

What is the benefits on this compared to Asus AiMesh between routers which would be another option, however I got tired of the outdated software I had on my last Asus router which still is the current one..

Happy for clarification in this so that i can find a good solution going forward.

Br,

Fredrik

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 vs Orbi system

The EX7700 and 8000 both have ehternet ports. You could even connect one of these to your old router if you wanted to.

I've been enjoying the R7800 and XR450 routers with my EX7700. Sets up well and just works. The Orbi seems to be a bit more hassle in getting going and seems to take longer as well. I set up my frineds Orbi and knowing all that i know, still took me a good hour to complete the setup. His is wired back haul as well using just 1 satellite.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Others have had bad luck in getting Orbis to work, then again, others have had good luck like me. Theres some playing around with Orbis seems like when getting them working. When they do work, there really good. 

The satellites work in AP mode when connected via ethernet. Orbi MESH even though maybe wired for backhaul, only allows for the 2.4Ghz and Primary 5Ghz radio to be used. the 2ndary 5Ghz radio is still hidden for MESH operations. I don't know the reasons why. It's how Orbi is deisgned. 

The use of managed switches are a factor as they have been know to cause problems. Mainly the IGMP protocol on these switch. Users have said the if they disable tis protocol, the manage switch and Orbi system work after that. Managed switches are preferred. 

MESH systems are designed for a single SSID name and PW and the MESH system automatically handles how devices get connected and what frequencies best to use. Everything is automatic in this handling. Smart Connect is the program behind all this and is been like this since the beginning. It's how MESH systems work for the most part. Seen in other Mfr MESH systems as well. Ive never had any problems getting my Mac Book 2008  and Mac Mini 2012 to connect and it's mostly connects to 5Ghz. Fine for my needs. 

Pro is really meant for Business environments. Been told same HW as Orbi however FW has differences. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

1400 sq ft home, a good quality single router should cover this kind of size of home. Even with a chimney in the middle. I have a 40 series Orbi, single router and just 1 satellite, places at each end of the home. 40 feet in between. Great coverage and performance for a 5000sq ft home. two story. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 2 of 4
FredrikS
Aspirant

Hi,

thanks for replying. You say that an Orbi system would do the job, and you also say a decent router would to...

The problem I had with my previous Asus router, beeing quite good when released, eventhough it can deliver a decent signal from the hall where my network gets into the house, to the TV room situated behind the chimney in the middle. But I don´t get the ethernet ports which I need at the TV.

So the question is still, should I go for a Orbi mesh system or a Nighthawk setup, they are pretty much the same price. Nighthawk router plus EX8000 vs Orbi RBK50. Pros and cons?

Now the Orbis support ethernet backhaul and also ethernet AP? Will the satelite (and router) be able to use all three channels when beeing wired to eachother?

Am I able to do the settings I need on a Orbi system, like forcing my Macbook to connect to the 5 GHz band instead of 2,4 GHz?

For the moment here in Sweden there is a campaign where I get the Orbi Pro for the same money as the Orbi. Pros and Cons for between those?

Thanks for the help.

Br,

Fredrik

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The EX7700 and 8000 both have ehternet ports. You could even connect one of these to your old router if you wanted to.

I've been enjoying the R7800 and XR450 routers with my EX7700. Sets up well and just works. The Orbi seems to be a bit more hassle in getting going and seems to take longer as well. I set up my frineds Orbi and knowing all that i know, still took me a good hour to complete the setup. His is wired back haul as well using just 1 satellite.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Others have had bad luck in getting Orbis to work, then again, others have had good luck like me. Theres some playing around with Orbis seems like when getting them working. When they do work, there really good. 

The satellites work in AP mode when connected via ethernet. Orbi MESH even though maybe wired for backhaul, only allows for the 2.4Ghz and Primary 5Ghz radio to be used. the 2ndary 5Ghz radio is still hidden for MESH operations. I don't know the reasons why. It's how Orbi is deisgned. 

The use of managed switches are a factor as they have been know to cause problems. Mainly the IGMP protocol on these switch. Users have said the if they disable tis protocol, the manage switch and Orbi system work after that. Managed switches are preferred. 

MESH systems are designed for a single SSID name and PW and the MESH system automatically handles how devices get connected and what frequencies best to use. Everything is automatic in this handling. Smart Connect is the program behind all this and is been like this since the beginning. It's how MESH systems work for the most part. Seen in other Mfr MESH systems as well. Ive never had any problems getting my Mac Book 2008  and Mac Mini 2012 to connect and it's mostly connects to 5Ghz. Fine for my needs. 

Pro is really meant for Business environments. Been told same HW as Orbi however FW has differences. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7