Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and Netgear Orbi

zN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and Netgear Orbi

Hi - Just got the new Orbi and I love it. Before I got this router, I had the Nighthawk R7000 and am wondering if there's a way to make the Orbi Base, Orbi Satellite and Nighthawk all work together?

Would this arrangement work?

Cable Modem--->cable to--->Nighthawk (WiFi on)--->cable to--->Orbi Base--->Orbi Satellite

If not, what's the best config to make these three devices work? I'd love to put one in the basement, one on the main level and one up in the bedrooms.

Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@zN wrote:

Roger - apologies for the repeat. Is this the configuration you have?

Cable Modem--->cable to--->Nighthawk R7000 (WiFi off)--->cable to--->Orbi Base (AP mode)--->Orbi Satellite (AP mode?)

This means you only have one SSID - the one from the Orbi Base in the house, right?

Thank you.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't sure who you were asking. Yes, this is what I've been doing for some time now, only one SSID. And it works really well!

In addition, for the Orbi I have it at lowest txpower (25%, as I recall) on 2.4GHz., since all my clients support 5GHz. So I don't want the Orbi to use 2.4GHz. And none of my clients are connected via the 2.4GHz. network by the Orbi, so everything's configured the way that I want it.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
cyberprashant
Luminary

This is exactly the setup I have.   IT will work fine.  Set the orbi into access point mode.  Connect Orbi WAN port to R7000 LAN port (and anything else you want to directly wire to the LAN there).   R7000 WAN to cable.   I would use a different SSID for the r7000 and the orbi (o/w no point in orbi mesh system as collisions will occur causing unreliability).    

Message 2 of 7
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Did it a little differently here. I have the R7800 set up as hard-wired clients only, wireless radios both off. It does all the router functions. Then the Orbi is in AP mode, and it takes care of the wireless. Works great for me, and I only have one SSID, the Orbi's. Which I like.

Message 3 of 7
zN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to make sure I follow - is this your config?

Cable Modem--->cable to--->Nighthawk R7000 (WiFi on)--->cable to--->Orbi Base (AP mode)--->Orbi Satellite (AP mode?)

What I like about this setup is that there should be only one SSID (set at the Nighthawk) through out the house, right?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 7
zN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cable Modem--->cable to--->Nighthawk R7000 (WiFi off)--->cable to--->Orbi Base (AP mode)--->Orbi Satellite (AP mode?)

This means you only have one SSID - the one from the Orbi Base in the house, right?

Thank you.

Message 5 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@zN That is the proper configuration.

Message 6 of 7
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@zN wrote:

Thank you.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't sure who you were asking. Yes, this is what I've been doing for some time now, only one SSID. And it works really well!

In addition, for the Orbi I have it at lowest txpower (25%, as I recall) on 2.4GHz., since all my clients support 5GHz. So I don't want the Orbi to use 2.4GHz. And none of my clients are connected via the 2.4GHz. network by the Orbi, so everything's configured the way that I want it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7