Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ORBI RBK50 slow modem speed

aec4444
Aspirant

Netgear ORBI RBK50 slow modem speed

I have gigabit service from ATT.  When I test the speed on the modem/router AT&T supplied, I get the expected speeds (992 down, 930 up).  When I test on the Orbi router which is just connected via Ethernet cable (and all the Wifi Radios on the AT&T device are turned off), I get ~500 down, 935 up.  I have run this test many times and the router from Netgear is half the speed down.  Why?

These aren't speed tests on devices, these are tests on the router/modem themselves via either the ORBI App or via AT&T app.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear ORBI RBK50 slow modem speed

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

When you testing with the RBR in the mix, are you speed testing with a PC and a speedtest app on the PC or speed testing with the speedtest app on the RBRs web page?

What happens if you configure the RBR for AP mode and speed test? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed with out enableing QoS/Speedtest, Traffic Meter and Any access controls on the RBR?

FYI: @Blanca_O 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

@aec4444 wrote:

I have gigabit service from ATT.  When I test the speed on the modem/router AT&T supplied, I get the expected speeds (992 down, 930 up).  When I test on the Orbi router which is just connected via Ethernet cable (and all the Wifi Radios on the AT&T device are turned off), I get ~500 down, 935 up.  I have run this test many times and the router from Netgear is half the speed down.  Why?

These aren't speed tests on devices, these are tests on the router/modem themselves via either the ORBI App or via AT&T app.

Message 2 of 6
aec4444
Aspirant

I have updated the firmware to 2.3.5.30.

I’m testing using the orbi app which is testing on the router itself. Not using speed test or anything like that.

When I test on the att router it’s 992 Mbps. When I test on the orbi 550 today.

The orbi is in AP mode.

Here is the att modem info
Manufacturer ARRIS
Model Number BGW210-700
Software Version 1.9.16
MAC Address 74:8a:0d:82:69:11
First Use Date 2019/06/25 15:16:33
Time Since Last Reboot 01:08:56:24
Current Date/Time 2019-08-05T23:05:25
Datapump Version A2pvbJ042w.d26r
Hardware Version 02001C0046004D
Legal Disclaimer Open Source Licenses
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi app isn't giving good accurate information. 

Try using Ooklas stand alone speed test app.

Message 4 of 6
aec4444
Aspirant

That wouldn’t be the same test unless I had a computer connected via Ethernet. That’s the whole point of the test on the router to test internet speed without any dependency on WiFi or the computer testing.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The built in speed test app seems to have problems. I would open a support ticket and let NG know of your experiences:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

The suggested use of a wired PC and stand alone speedtest app will be a valid test to check to ensure the Orbi is working otherwise. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7