Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi Port Forwarding, used to work, then stopped, cant fix please help

alitech
Guide

Netgear Orbi Port Forwarding, used to work, then stopped, cant fix please help

Hi guys

Hope you can help in some way. As soon as I got the router, I got port forwarding setup just like I had on my netgear R7000. All the settings are the same pretty much. At first port forwarding worked fine, then all of a sudden it stopped. I use it for accessing plex etc. 

I have been searching but I cannot seem to find how to fix the issue. I have deleted and added all the settings back. Rebooted the router a couple of times. Its been a few weeks and I am still none the wiser. 

Can anyone help? I use this in Router mode. My modem is external. All DHCP happens through the orbi and I have also reserved a few IPs for specific items on the network and also to ensure that port forwarding always goes to a fixed IP.

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
alitech
Guide

Re: Netgear Orbi Port Forwarding, used to work, then stopped, cant fix please help

Upnp is turned off by the way

Message 2 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

What are you seeing now that tells you it isn't working? What are you trying to port forward to, e.g., a Windows computer?  There may be firewall settings at the endpoint that have changed.

First, go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and see if the port you're exposing can be seen from the outside.  This tells you if it at least is getting through the Orbi.  For my port 3389 it says:

Success: I can see your service on 69.181.68.10 on port (3389)
Your ISP is not blocking port 3389

If I try a port number that is not forwarded canyousee me says:

Error: I could not see your service on 69.181.68.10 on port (3388)
Reason: Connection timed out

Message 3 of 8
alitech
Guide

Just found some time to come back to fix this. I am trying to port forward to a windows 10 computer. I have checked the firewall settings for the application I am trying to get. It is open for incoming connections. 

Canyouseeme.org is reporting that the port is blocked, as I suspected. I can't seem to figure this out. It was working before and its stopped working. I cannot figure this one out. I am really annoyed about all this. 

What else should I try, please?

Message 4 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

What exactly does canyouseeme say?  Have you tried disabling your firewall completely to make sure it's not that?  Often with Windows computers the network changes from public to private and that alters the firewall rules.  Also check your Windows IP address and verify it's the one you're port forwarding to (it might have changed).

Message 5 of 8
alitech
Guide

Thanks for replying. I turned off the firewall completely and tried a few times. I know the ip address of my target computer, it's been set manually and never changes. I have played around with upnp as well to see if that's the cause, it's not. I have turned upnp back off.
Message 6 of 8
alitech
Guide

Forgot to paste the info from canyouseeme

Error: I could not see your service on 77.**.***.** on port (98**)

This is what I see on the website. Its blocked and I am unable to unblock. 

Message 7 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

What is the "Reason" text from canyouseeme.org displayed right below what you quoted?  There's nothing about the Orbi that would prevent the port forwarding so I don't know what else could be wrong with your config.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7