Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK50 - Web certificate expired yesterday (Aug 2, 2019)

jameyers4
Tutor

Netgear Orbi RBK50 - Web certificate expired yesterday (Aug 2, 2019)

I logged into my Orbi RBK50 today - long story short - the security certificate expired yesterday. I have the latest firmware posted (just udpated some days ago) v2.3.5.30.

Can someone from Netgear comment plesae - it's rather surprising that a simple security lapse like this should happen, particularly when the firmware is quite recent.  Netgear includes these certificates for a reason, right?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

Logged in how?  Locally from a device on the Orbi network?  Remotely using Orbi app?  web interface?

Message 2 of 85
jameyers4
Tutor

Locally web interface on same WiFi. Https
Message 3 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for noticing this.  Most of us use "http" on the local network.  I knew that https was supported when connecting from external networks.  I (sincerely) thought that I had tried https locally before and got no response at all, which was strange since it did work remotely.  As of today, of course, the https connection from remote is also "not private".

(And, on a weekend.)

Message 4 of 85
jameyers4
Tutor

Thanks for confirming. Hopefully it’s corrected quickly. Appreciate the quick response.
Message 5 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

What do you want to bet that whoever at Netgear is in charge of certificate renewals is on vacation or the position is temporarily vacant?

Message 6 of 85
jameyers4
Tutor

Lol. I’ve never seen THAT happen before... Being a software QA engineer, I know THEY filed a ticket. 😀
Message 7 of 85
sysfrank
Aspirant

The SSL certificate on the R9000 Wifi Router also expired on August 2, 2019, despite a recent firmware upgrade to 1.0.4.34

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 85
jameyers4
Tutor

Not explicitly familiar with protocol around this community - does anyone know for sure if Netgear personnal monitor this board?  I simply want to be sure that someone that can actually do something about this knows about it specifically and assumes ownership of this problem.

Message 9 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

The user list says there are (or were) 63 Netgear moderators on the forum(s).  @Blanca_O seems to follow this forum.

To be honest, I am not certain if the moderators are Netgear employees.

Message 10 of 85
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Thank you for looping me in, @CrimpOn

Hi @jameyers4

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will have this check and provide update as soon as possible. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 11 of 85
jameyers4
Tutor

@Blanca_O thank you I look forward to a resolution.

Regards, 

Jeff 

Message 12 of 85
Wire1852
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem on my RBK50 indicating security certificate has expired.

Message I get on August 5 on a Chrome Browser is when trying to log into Orbi router .... This server could not prove that it is www.orbilogin.com; its security certificate expired 4 days ago.  I rebooted orbi & still have the same problem.

Question - How do  actually see the security certificate expiration date? Is it stored on Orbi? Sorry but I'm a newby. 

Any help is appreciated.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 13 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

The certificate expiration was literally August 2.  Netgear was supposed to purchase an extension to the expiration date and failed to do so.  We users can do nothing except override our browser warnings and "trust".  (Some browsers make this very difficult.)  Eventually, someone at Netgear will fix this, and the problem will go away.  There is nothing a user can do.

Message 14 of 85
HarlowBurgess
Aspirant

I'm just bursting with confidence in Netgear security right now. Any other security features fall through the cracks?

Message 15 of 85
corbata11
Aspirant

It's August 7th and the expired certificate error is still happening. 

Message 16 of 85
Wire1852
Apprentice

Still waiting for a response on Netgear's expired security certificate. After 5 days starting to think we should start posting on websites like Amazon & Walmart that sell Orbi to let folks know the type of service they can expect to get from Netgear.

No response in several days is not acceptable.

Message 17 of 85
jameyers4
Tutor

@Blanca_O any update please on expired certificates?  

Message 18 of 85
SergeD
Tutor

Same issue here...
I reset the orbi rbr50 and satellite to redolve wifi dis connections issue and got an other one with certificate expired
... too much issue in the last months for a 400€ solution....
It has worked fine between sept-dec 2018 but now .... dropping wifi , pages not loading correctly, expired certificate.... if I would know that in advance, i would have choose an other brand, really
Message 19 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

The invalid Certificate won't be a cause of your wifi problems. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@SergeD wrote:
Same issue here...
I reset the orbi rbr50 and satellite to redolve wifi dis connections issue and got an other one with certificate expired
... too much issue in the last months for a 400€ solution....
It has worked fine between sept-dec 2018 but now .... dropping wifi , pages not loading correctly, expired certificate.... if I would know that in advance, i would have choose an other brand, really

Message 20 of 85
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jameyers4

This has been brought up already to engineers. I will get back to you guys for any updates.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 21 of 85
jameyers4
Tutor

@Blanca_O thank you
Message 22 of 85
Wire1852
Apprentice

Over 10 days and still no valid security certificates.

I was curious how much it cost for a security certificate & checked. Now I'm even more annoyed. Starting to wonder how committed Netgear is to Orbi.

Message 23 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Any certificate upgrades will have to be in future FW updates. FW updates don't happen over nite. 

Message 24 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

It just gets "worser and worser".  Push a firmware release rather than one file? The central fact remains that the certificate expiration date is known in advance. A new one could have been bundled into the last firmware release. 

Message 25 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7