Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK50 - Web certificate expired yesterday (Aug 2, 2019)

FURRYe38
Guru

I agree. Someone dropped the ball or was left off the table and was forgotten. Smiley Frustrated

Message 26 of 85
Wire1852
Apprentice

The fact is Netgear screwed up big time impacting all Orbi users. When they announce an update, will they tell the users to ignore the security warning when they log into the router for the update? I don't think so.

And when most users start to log into routers & see the warning they weren't told about, Netgear should expect to be contacted by a lot of users on what to do.

This is a mess of epic proportions. Netgear should send email to all Orbi users explaining the issue now & give an estimate on when an update will occur.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 27 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

You can certainly let NG know how you feel by submitting a support ticket:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

The issue isn't that major. It only effect how users are getting to the LAN side web page for the RBRs management page. User can certainly talk to NG support and let them know. Otherwise, you'll have to be patient and wait for the next FW update. 

Good Luck. 

Message 28 of 85
Bruin711
Aspirant

This is still a problem?

Message 29 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bruin711 wrote:

This is still a problem?

It remains a nuisance.  People who connect to "http://" from within the Orbi LAN notice nothing.  People who connect to the "https://" from outside the LAN get an obnoxious error message about the connection "not being secure", and several browsers actively obstruct the user from connecting to the Orbi web interface.  (Have to click on "Advanced" and "Connect anyway".)  It's annoying.

Just personally, I believe most of us are really put out with Netgear.  "How hard can it be to keep track of when security certificates expire?" is the question.  Sort of like,"oh, was I supposed to pay the rent this month?"  Well, duh, yes!!!!

Message 30 of 85
Bruin711
Aspirant

Yea, sorry I meant that more as a question towards Netgear Support. Surprised that they have let this be a problem for so long for an expired certificate. I just experienced this problem tonight trying to log into my router with https, which is what I try to use for any site I visit, whether it is only on my network or not.
Message 31 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

Ah, yes, sorry.  My belief is that "Netgear" does not particpate officially in the community forums.  Thus, comments intending to convey information to "Netgear" are futile.  There are some moderators with Netgear attached to their names who seem to have a "connection" to Netgear support, and they appear to be well-meaning and helpful.  However, I believe that they have no influence.  Three weeks ago, when the clamor began, some moderators reported having conveyed the question to "Engineering" (or something).  Zero feedback.  None.  Nada.  No explanation.  No expected resolution date.  I do not think we are being ignored.  Far from it.  We do not exist.

Sorry, again.  It's late.  My computer died after a Microsoft update and it took me all day to ressurect it.

Message 32 of 85

Two months and counting.

Still no fix as of 10/2/2019.

NETGEAR does not appear committed to strong security for their products.

Message 33 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you contacted NG support and files a support ticket? 

@BrianG_Simi wrote:

Two months and counting.

Still no fix as of 10/2/2019.

NETGEAR does not appear committed to strong security for their products.

Message 34 of 85
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jameyers4 wrote:

I logged into my Orbi RBK50 today - long story short - the security certificate expired yesterday. I have the latest firmware posted (just udpated some days ago) v2.3.5.30.

As old as this is....v2.3.5.30 the common thread...ugh

Message 35 of 85

If NETGEAR made it easy (possible?) to create tickets for issues without paying them first, I wouldn't be posting in the forums.

The best I could find was the generic Contact Us page (which I used), but since I do not have paid support and I'm well out of 90 days since my purchase, I'm not able to directly contact Support to get a ticket created.

I'd certainly welcome someone with active support opening a ticket for this issue.

That said, a company like NETGEAR should be aware of how important valid certificates are to overall network security and should not rely on their customers to remind them of basic administrative tasks like certificate management.

I'm going to try signing up and reporting via bugcrowd, but again, I feel like I'm doing a lot of work to bring something to NETGEAR's attention that really shouldn't be their customers' problem.

I suspect they're already aware of the issue at some level in the company and just not prioritizing the fix for whatever internal reasons they might have. I'm just adding my voice here to hopefully bump up the priority.

https://www.netgear.com/about/security/default.aspx

Message 36 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

You can always reach out to a forum moderator. 

@Blanca_O 

@BrianG_Simi wrote:

If NETGEAR made it easy (possible?) to create tickets for issues without paying them first, I wouldn't be posting in the forums.

The best I could find was the generic Contact Us page (which I used), but since I do not have paid support and I'm well out of 90 days since my purchase, I'm not able to directly contact Support to get a ticket created.

I'd certainly welcome someone with active support opening a ticket for this issue.

That said, a company like NETGEAR should be aware of how important valid certificates are to overall network security and should not rely on their customers to remind them of basic administrative tasks like certificate management.

I'm going to try signing up and reporting via bugcrowd, but again, I feel like I'm doing a lot of work to bring something to NETGEAR's attention that really shouldn't be their customers' problem.

I suspect they're already aware of the issue at some level in the company and just not prioritizing the fix for whatever internal reasons they might have. I'm just adding my voice here to hopefully bump up the priority.

https://www.netgear.com/about/security/default.aspx

Message 37 of 85

Thanks - I'll try @Blanca_O 

Message 38 of 85
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can always reach out to a forum moderator. 

Since this post has been active since 2019-08-03 05:46 PM, you would think there would be a solution.

Message 39 of 85
Wire1852
Apprentice

This has been going on for over 2 months & Netgear has never acknowledge that this is an issued & will be corrected in the next release. My 90 days has also expired and I'm not going to buy a contract to report something they already know about but refuse to acknowledge.

Consumer Reports recently gave the Orbi a good review. If Netgear won't repond to the little guy maybe they will respond to Consumer Reports.

Message 40 of 85
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 41 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Most FW development and such takes more than two months to get developed and fixed. Sometimes 6-9 months depending on severity of bugs that are found. Nothing is fixed over night. I would presume if NG knows about it then they are problaby working on it and eventually will come out in next update. I would be patient until then. The certificate expireation isn't really a show stopper or causing anyone system to stop working. 

If your concerned about, please reach out to a forum moderator. There nothing more that can be done here in the forums. 

@Wire1852 wrote:

This has been going on for over 2 months & Netgear has never acknowledge that this is an issued & will be corrected in the next release. My 90 days has also expired and I'm not going to buy a contract to report something they already know about but refuse to acknowledge.

Consumer Reports recently gave the Orbi a good review. If Netgear won't repond to the little guy maybe they will respond to Consumer Reports.

Message 42 of 85
Wire1852
Apprentice

Microsoft edge has the same issue.

Message 43 of 85
Retired_Member
Not applicable

How is it you are seeing the error?  When you login to your Orbi router via web interface?

Message 44 of 85
Wire1852
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

How is it you are seeing the error?  When you login to your Orbi router via web interface?

Yes when logging into Orbi by web browser (both Chrome or Microsoft edge)

Message 45 of 85
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Wire1852 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Yes when logging into Orbi by web browser (both Chrome or Microsoft edge)

I just tried mine.....laptop...wifi to Orbi router via Chrome....no error

Message 46 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

On the LAN side of the Orbi, web pages are HTTP, which is not secured and thus has no certificate.

When the Orbi's Remote Management is activated, the connection is HTTPS to the public IP and the default port is 8443, as in "https//<Orbi Public IP>:8443"  (the port can be changed, but I didn't)

My Orbi has Remote Management activated.  I used Chrome and got this:

Error.PNG

If a person attempts to HTTP to the Orbi public IP, it simply fails.  It appears pretty clear that (a) this is not viewed as a "major issue" by Netgear, and (b) they seem to have no easy method of putting a new certificate on the Orbi short of updating the firmware.  One of the things people are waiting for is when (if?) new firmware appears, will the certificate be valid?

Message 47 of 85

I would add that I assume any network I'm isn't 100% secure, especially with more and more IoT (Internet of Things) devices, like cameras, doorbells, refrigerators, streaming devices, etc. that may or may not be following best security practices, and hackers getting more and more sophisticated.

If I'm logging into to the admin site on my router, I'm going to use https, even when on my LAN, and I expect the products I use to support standard security best-practices, like having valid (non-expired) certs.

Message 48 of 85
CrimpOn
Guru

@BrianG_Simi wrote:

If I'm logging into to the admin site on my router, I'm going to use https, even when on my LAN, and I expect the products I use to support standard security best-practices, like having valid (non-expired) certs.

When I log on to my Orbi from the LAN side using HTTPS, I get the same "expired certificate" error as from the public side.  Firefox's messsage is more dramatic looking than Chrome, and gives more explanation about when the certificate expired. (Note that when the user proceeds to the web site despite being warned off, the error does not pop up on subsequent visits.)

Message 49 of 85
abqttu
Aspirant

The certificate expiration also breaks Orbi's built-in VPN.  When I attempt to VPN into Orbi - from a site external from my home network - I receive warnings in both Chrome and Firefox of potential security issues. Nothing that isn't already know from the security errors thrown by Chrome/Firefox and other browsers but the command "openssl x509 -in server.pem -noout -dates " confirms the certificate has expired:

notBefore=Aug 2 16:21:58 2016 GMT

notAfter=Aug 2 16:51:57 2019 GMT

Message 50 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7