Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK50 vs Google WiFi (3 devices)

AC641
Luminary

Netgear Orbi RBK50 vs Google WiFi (3 devices)

Having had issues with the Netgear Orbi, specifically the inability for Philips Hue lights to work reliably and intermittent loss of WiFi from iPhone/iPad when connected to the Satellite I have had a play with Google WiFi.  To replace a Netgear RKK50 (1 x Router and 1 x Satellite) I am now using 3 Google WiFi devices to cover the same house.  Here’s what I’ve found after some 48 hrs and quite a lot of testing:

- The WiFi range of a single Google WiFi device is less than that of an Orbi Router/Satellite.

- The Google WiFi setup HAS to be done via the Google WiFi app (iOS or Android); the settings are all there but they’ve taken a little time to get used to.  For example, assigning static IP addresses isn’t as straightforward as with the Orbi interface.

- My decision to purchase the Netgear Orbi originally was that it offered two key features for me: the facility for a Guest Network and the ability control the DHCP.  The Google devices now offer DHCP control.  The Google WiFi Guest network is correctly isolated and you can control what devices on the network a guest has access too.

- A big thing for me is that now my Philips Hue lighting routines work flawlessly.  I have setup many test routines over the last couple of days and EVERY one has switched the lights on and off without fail.  Moreover, the Hue Hub is seen over the Internet, which it wasn’t previously and I believed was due to me getting my internet via a 4G network using CGNAT (I live in the UK countryside and can’t get above 6.5Mbps via the phone line). 

I’ll add to this thread in a week or so with any additional observations but so far the Google WiFi is beating the Orbi system in every department except WiFi range.

Message 1 of 8
thombe
Apprentice

can i just ask who your 4g provider is and can you get unlimited usage from them or is it capped ?

Message 2 of 8
AC641
Luminary

The ISP is EE.  My data contract is capped at 200GB at £60 permonth but that's fine for me.  Having been used to poor Broadband I don't stream 4K TV and am not a gamer.  I've noticed that EE is now offering up to 500GB a month.  It's an interim solution for me before Gigaclear install FTTP at some point.

Message 3 of 8
thombe
Apprentice

yup, thought it must be EE.  thanks v much

Message 4 of 8
AC641
Luminary

I wanted to add that the issue with Philips Hue was NOT connected directly to the Netgear Orbi setup.  After quite a bit of testing with the new setup (now 4 Google Wifi devices) I have identified the issue.  I use the EE 4G mobile/cell network in the UK for my broadband.  When setting up the Orbi as the Router it defaults to using the DNS of the ISP.  When I switched to using Google WiFi the Philips Hue Hub immediately connected to the Internet and all worked perfectly.  The Google WiFi defaults to using Google's own DNS servers.  As part of experimenting, within the Google WiFi app I selected to use the ISPs (EE's) DNS - the Hue Hub immediately disconnected from the Internet.  On selecting Google's DNS servers the Hue Hub immediately reconnected. It was as clean and repeatable as a mechanical switch.  

This information has helped others unable to get Phlips Hue working reliably whilst using the EE network and has been reported to both EE and Philips.

Message 5 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

So did you revert your home to Orbi or keep the Google WIFI?

There are some excellent posts on here about DNS'... yours is a good example of why you would want to use an external like Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or other more "globally" designed

Message 6 of 8
AC641
Luminary

At this point I am continuing with the Google setup.  To be honest I don't see me reinstating the Orbi.  In almost 4 weeks of Google ownership I have never had my iPhone/iPad disconnect from WiFi while connected to the satellite and the Guest network is correctly isolated.

Message 7 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @AC641

We just want to check if you have the chance to re-install the Orbi System. A new firmware was released with added feature and enhancements and bug fixes. Here are the download links and instruction how to manually update firmware: 

Intermediate firmware v2.2.1.212

Firmware version 2.3.0.32

How do I manually update the firmware on my Orbi WiFi System?

As for the DNS servers, you can actually set static DNS and use the Google DNS servers. You can do that by following the steps below: 

1) Access routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com
2) Under BASIC tab, click Internet
3) Select "Use these DNS Servers" and enter your primary DNS and secondary DNS addresses.
4) Click "Apply" to save the settings. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7