Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi RBK852 - Weak Satellite Signal

ancen
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi RBK852 - Weak Satellite Signal

Router Netgear Orbi RBK 852 AX6000 operating in router mode.
Size of home: 2000 sq ft (3 story house)
Distance between router and satellite: +/- 36 feet and satellite is using wired backhaul.

Firmware version: V4.6.3.16_2.0.51
2.4Ghz Channel: 11
5.Ghz Channel: 44
Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence checked
CTS/RTS threshold both set to 500 for 2.4 and 5ghz
Preamble mode set to automatic for both

Problems:
Router is placed at the front of 3rd floor area, and the satellite is placed at the back of the 2nd floor area.
My main bedroom is exactly on the top of my satellite area is getting a weak signal and frequently get disconnected.
It feels that the signal cannot "climb" to the top floor.
Any clue on what to check? I tried placing the satellite in my main bedroom with wireless backhaul, got the poor status and frequently got disconnected.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ancen
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK852 - Weak Satellite Signal

I just added a new satellite and place it at the center of the house. It solved the problem!

I was afraid the signal is going to overlap, but it seems everything is normal until now.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

"Exactly on top" might not be the best location.  Can you try moving the satellite laterally in several directions and see if the signal strength improves? (Maybe with a long ethernet patch cable)

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@ancen wrote:

Router Netgear Orbi RBK 852 AX6000 operating in router mode.
Size of home: 2000 sq ft (3 story house)
Distance between router and satellite: +/- 36 feet and satellite is using wired backhaul.

Firmware version: V4.6.3.16_2.0.51
2.4Ghz Channel: 11
5.Ghz Channel: 44
Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence checked
CTS/RTS threshold both set to 500 for 2.4 and 5ghz
Preamble mode set to automatic for both

Problems:
Router is placed at the front of 3rd floor area, and the satellite is placed at the back of the 2nd floor area.
My main bedroom is exactly on the top of my satellite area is getting a weak signal and frequently get disconnected.
It feels that the signal cannot "climb" to the top floor.
Any clue on what to check? I tried placing the satellite in my main bedroom with wireless backhaul, got the poor status and frequently got disconnected.

Message 3 of 5
ancen
Aspirant

I just added a new satellite and place it at the center of the house. It solved the problem!

I was afraid the signal is going to overlap, but it seems everything is normal until now.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7