Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi RBK853 + 2 Satellites:- Devices rarely connect to nearest satellite and keep dropping

MarkyMarkUK
Initiate

Netgear Orbi RBK853 + 2 Satellites:- Devices rarely connect to nearest satellite and keep dropping

Hi

I have the Netgear Orbi RBK853 / RBR850 with 2 satellites. My house is an average 4 bed 2 (upstairs & downstairs) detached so you can estimate size. All units are on latest firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14. I haven’t changed any default settings in the Web Admin app other than turning off Guest Network. All satellites report good signal.

Problem:

• My Oculus Quest does not connect to the satellite that is 3 feet away, it insists on connecting to the downstairs router, so the signal is week. Occasionally it will connect to the nearest satellite (in same room) on full strength but will then weirdly, disconnect (killing my game) and re-connect.
  • I’ve noticed (like the above) that most of the time, all my devices (2.4 & 5) are mostly connected to the router downstairs and not on any of the two satellites. Occasionally they will connect to the nearest satellite, but then disconnect and re-connect again downstairs on the router!...on a weaker signal!!

I’ve reset up the network and satellites but still the same.

Seems my satellites, don’t hold connections very long.

Can anyone help please?

PS. I used to have a competitor mesh system (not wifi6 though) that was in the same positions and everything was rock solid. I’ve upgraded to this wifi6 mesh solution to aid PC streaming to my Oculus Quest 2 but this problem is boycotting that.

PPS. Don’t blame the Oculus device and problem 2 suggests it’s not because all my devices seem to be suffering the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK853 + 2 Satellites:- Devices rarely connect to nearest satellite and keep droppi

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Orbi RBK853 + 2 Satellites:- Devices rarely connect to nearest satellite and keep droppi

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7