Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi RBR50 IPV6 not working

wimmme
Tutor

Netgear Orbi RBR50 IPV6 not working

Hello,

I have about the same issue as in this topic, but it's closed and has no answer for me: link 

My Intern Provider is Telenet (Belgium). I ecently switched modems because i had to.

I had no problems with IPV6 with the old modem. I chose Auto Detect, it configured 6to4 tunnel and worked like a charm.

With the new modem i had to apply bridging, because it has a router which i don't want/need.

The new modem is a Docsis 3.1 E-router (CV8560E). For it to work with Bridging and IPV6 I need my Orbi to do/use Prefix Delegation. But do I choose to get this to work?

This is an explanation from a fellow user with a Fritzbox who got it to work:

1. For IPv4 there is no problem: the router, connected to a CV8560E gets an external IPv4 address via the Mac Passtrough function (misleadingly called a "bridge" by Telenet).
  2. As far as IPv6 is concerned, the situation is different: the router gets:
    - One IPv6 /64 (SLAAC) address on the WAN port (most likely via the Mac passtrough).
    - One IPv6 /60 prefix (which is a subprefix of the IPv6 /56 assigned to the CV8560E). This is - in my opinion - the normal behavior when connecting one router (e.g. Fritz!Box) to another IPv6 router (the CV8560E). Your own router must of course support "IPv6 prefix delegation". Your own router can then provide its clients with the IPv6 /64 addresses from its /60 range.

Now i am really curious to know what I should configure to get this to work.

None of the settings seem to have the desired effect.

• Auto Detect comes at 6to4 tunnel, just like the ModemOnly. No address on the WAN side but i do get a /64 on the LAN side. 6to4 tunnel worked fine with the ModemOnly.
  • Auto Config gives me this, with a /64 address on the WAN side but nothing on the LAN side.
  • 6to4-tunnel manual setup does nothing.
  • 6rd seems to contain something about prefix but what to fill in ?
  • Passthrough would seem logical to me but doesn't do it
  • Fixed: combo of the above results did not seem to work. Not the way to go as this should be dynamic.
  • DHCP also seemed like a good contender but I get nothing but the modem.
  • PPPoE is not what Telenet uses so it can't be

I would include pictures/screenshots, but that doesn't seem to work. Same post on a forum of the provider but with the images :

https://www.netweters.be/t5/Instellingen-software-hardware/Modem-Only-nodig-voor-inkomende-verbindin...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
wimmme
Tutor

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR50 IPV6 not working

Message 3 of 6

All Replies

Please check out this other thread on Netweters:

https://www.netweters.be/t5/Instellingen-software-hardware/IPv6-op-de-CV8560E-E-router/td-p/96759/pa...

This is a long discussion on the issue Telenet's router has with IPv6. Short story: they know about the issue, have prepared a fix for it which will be released as part of a firmare update. This fix has been validated by 3 users and seems to be a working solution. We are now waiting for Telenet to distribute this firmware to all CV8560E routers out there. 

I was trying to get it to work too with an RBK60 setup and am waiting for the fix to figure out which setting will work. Will update as soon as I get up and running (when and if the fix is deployed)

Peter

Message 2 of 6
wimmme
Tutor

Just for closing this up: since 15/02/21 this is working as desired ...
https://www.netweters.be/t5/Instellingen-software-hardware/IPv6-op-de-CV8560E-E-router/td-p/96759/pa...

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, 3 years later. 

Message 4 of 6
wimmme
Tutor

I don't like unfinished posts or people that never come back to report how they got it working, found a post from myself, had to finish it 😉

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7