Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR50 Router+Satellite - Need To Disable Satellite WiFi

kaizenn
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi RBR50 Router+Satellite - Need To Disable Satellite WiFi

NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50)

(main router + 1 satellite)

Firmware on both: V2.7.2.104

My main router is plugged in to cable modem, and the satellite is connected to main router via wireless backhaul (I don't have the option to plug in for wired backhaul). 

My problem: I need to be able to disable WiFi (at least 2.4Ghz) on my satellite only. The followign Telnet commands work great, but don't persist through a reboot:
config set endis_wl_radio=0
ifconfig ath0 down

The reason: certain devices like Chromecasts and Roku constantly try to switch back and forth between the main router and the satellite, dropping whatever media they are streaming. Laptops and phones and whatever else don't care at all, but media devices do. Seems like a common problem all over the internet, and I've tried all of the advanced settings combos I can think of- too many to post here in my initial message. If I simply power off the satellite, the whole house works perfectly. (I wish that were a permanent option, but I absolutely need the wired LAN connections at the main router and at the satelltie for various other devices.) If I could simply disable WiFi on the satellite, everything would work 100%.

I would be grateful for any help, and will buy beers to celebrate. Thanks, -Tony

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

There isn't a offical way to turn OFF the wifi radios on the RBR or RBS. There designed to be ON all the time. So if the telnet method is one solutoin for you, then you'll need to apply that each time. Be sure you commit the change as well. However this may not support the persist thru a reboot or power cycle. 

You might check out Voxels FW as well to see if his FW works better in this area:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you.

Message 2 of 8
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you.

what does that mean?

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I installed Voxel's firmware, found that it worked fine, but that I had no pressing need for the added functions and performance gain. Voxel is also based in Europe and when Netgear began that insane "US vs World" versions of firmware, Voxel announced he was sticking with "World".  (Now that there is no longer a difference, he may have revisited that position.)

"Revert" means that I did a manual firmware update with stock Netgear firmware and my Orbi is now running the Netgear version.

Message 4 of 8
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

"Revert" means that I did a manual firmware update with stock Netgear firmware and my Orbi is now running the Netgear version.

thank you 

@FURRYe38  is never clear when mentioning firmware.  Almost like it causes pain. 

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@kaizenn wrote:

The reason: certain devices like Chromecasts and Roku constantly try to switch back and forth between the main router and the satellite, dropping whatever media they are streaming. Laptops and phones and whatever else don't care at all, but media devices do.

Are these streaming devices located physically closer to one Orbi than the other?

Ordinarily, I am not a proponent of reducing WiFi transmit power (on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings).

Reducing power might make it more likely that streaming devices will "stick".

Another (ugly) solution is to install an inexpensive WiFi Extender, such as the Netgear EX3700.  Connect it to the Orbi WiFi at 5G and broadcast a unique (different) WiFi SSID on 2.4G.  If the streamers can get a good connection, there should be ample bandwidth and they have nowhere else to roam.

I have some Orbi mods that have to be installed every time the Orbi router is rebooted (which can be months).  I have the commands in a text file and use Notepad++ (Windows, free) which is able to create both Windows and Linux style text.  I open the file, highlight all the commands, copy, telnet into the Orbi and "right click".  Done.  Takes longer to describe than to do.

Message 6 of 8
kaizenn
Aspirant

I actually just made a text file for copy/paste also (tried to automate it all but can't figure out a way past the telnet authentication). Great idea, thanks. Better than nothing, although I still think it should be a simple tic box.

My satellite is only about 30' from the main router, and almost all devices are equidistant. Horrible network design by me, I know. As soon as I figure out how to route some cable through my house, I'll fix it all. But that isn’t anytime soon.

I’ll try that extender idea. I don’t like it at all, but it’s a great idea, and I know it will work. At least for the trouble devices. I have one sitting in storage, so why not. =/

You mentioned adjusting transmit power- is that something you can do per device? Because that would totally work if it's possible. Or you mean maybe try to decrease 2.4 power overall, and see if that helps?

In case anybody is interested in recommending a different settings combo, here is what I currently have set:

Weird. I can't get the photo to post. Oh well, here is the text:

2.4GHz

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence - OFF

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings - ON

CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347) – 2341

Preamble Mode – Long

Transmit Power – 100%

5GHz

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings - ON

CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347) – 2345

Preamble Mode – Long

Transmit Power – 100%

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology – Off (only 1 satellite)

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices – ON

Enable MU-MIMO - OFF

Enable Fast Roaming - OFF

Orbi.PNG

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@kaizenn wrote:

You mentioned adjusting transmit power- is that something you can do per device? Because that would totally work if it's possible. Or you mean maybe try to decrease 2.4 power overall, and see if that helps?

Transmit power applies to all Orbi devices, which is the reason for asking where the problem streamers are.  If they were closer to one Orbi or the other, then reducing every 2.4G signal would make the closer one relatively more attractive. (Square root law and all that.)  Transmit power applies only to the user facing radios, not to the backhaul signals.

Technically, I believe it is possible to telnet into one Orbi and alter the transmit power on a single radio, which is similar to turning the radio off completely.  (And also has to be done after every power cycle.) 

My Orbi's stay up for months at a time, especially since I put a small UPS on each one so that minor (off/on) power hits do not affect them.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7