Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi and VPN

Kerrold
Guide

Netgear Orbi and VPN

Hi Folks,

I am considering buying the RBK53 system, but wondering if it is possible to install / configure a VPN onto the router? The requirements of my VPN is the router supports Tomato or DD-WRT firmware. Can anyone enlighten me if this is possible?

As an added bonus and I realise this isn't the correct forum for this extra question...If I install the VPN on my router, does that mean I do not have to install it on my devices? Just asking if anyone has done this before.

Many thanks

KG

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

How would you expect that these third party router implementations are supporting Netgear's proprietary Orbi Mesh system?

Message 2 of 9
Kerrold
Guide

Hi Schumaku,

I don't quite understand your point... I was asking the question as I do not know? If it seems a stupid question as by your response... maybe you can understand that some of us don't know these things... hence we approach people who might know... I thought this is the support forum?

Kerrold

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Orbi is a system with a router and a satellite running (partially) on proprietary design. This functionality would be lost if one would bring up a plain "basic" other router firmware.

Not sure why you think that you need a specific platform for your undefined VPN. Netgear Orbi does currently indeed not come with an OpenVPN client implementation - as required for many kinds of VPN implementations. FMI: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Implement-OpenVPN-client-for-Orbi/idi-p/1547...

This is a community forum, however Netgear won't help you with third party firmware.

Message 4 of 9
st_shaw
Master

@Kerrold wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am considering buying the RBK53 system, but wondering if it is possible to install / configure a VPN onto the router? The requirements of my VPN is the router supports Tomato or DD-WRT firmware. Can anyone enlighten me if this is possible?

As an added bonus and I realise this isn't the correct forum for this extra question...If I install the VPN on my router, does that mean I do not have to install it on my devices? Just asking if anyone has done this before.

Many thanks

KG

Orbi does NOT suppport Tomato or DD-WRT.

Orbi does include VPN support using OpenVPN.  VPN is for remote clients to connect to Orbi, not to encrypt outgoing connections from your LAN to the Internet.

To connect to Orbi's LAN from outside the home using the VPN requires an OpenVPN client on your remote devices.

Message 5 of 9
quaningeneva
Apprentice

You have to install another router in front of the Orbi to make this possible.  This router has to support VPN client.  ASUS has native firmware which supports VPN client on their routers.  Alternatively, you can use ASUS compatible routers in mesh mode.

Message 6 of 9
Kerrold
Guide

Thanks Schmaku! I Will hold out on the VPn until I get the Orbi... and then trial one of the VPN's to see how they work.

KG

Message 7 of 9
Kerrold
Guide

Thanks st_shaw...I will be looking for encrypting the outgoing...so will have to look for another solution. Thanks.

KG

Message 8 of 9
Kerrold
Guide

Hi quaningeneva, I do have another router that my ISP gave me...so maybe I can install the VPN on there... will look at the model and see if that is possible. Thanks

KG

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7