Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi for home. Looking to purchase .

LEWB71
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi for home. Looking to purchase .

I have an Airport Extreme WIFI network with 2 Airport Expresses in bridge mode to extend the network. Apple has announced they are stopping production and support of their Airport lines. Looking to replace it with an Orbi AC3000 network or whatever is best for home use. I have a large house with a boat house approximately 100ft away. I also have several Amcrest security cameras that have static IP addresses. DHCP tends to knock them offline whenever the address gets renewed so I had to make them static. The IP address is assigned in the MacBook Pro app but I assume this finds its way back into the router.
I have read that Orbi does not support static IP addresses at this time. True? False? Does the “Business “ version of Orbi do so?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi supports reserved IP addresses ON the router. Static IP addresses are set ON devices. 

The default IP address pool for NG routers is 192.168.1.2 thru .254. Users can set a smaller IP address pool, i.e. 192.168.1.100 thru .200, then this leaves room on either side of this pool for static IP addressed devices. 

I presume so. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between Orbi router and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi supports reserved IP addresses ON the router. Static IP addresses are set ON devices. 

The default IP address pool for NG routers is 192.168.1.2 thru .254. Users can set a smaller IP address pool, i.e. 192.168.1.100 thru .200, then this leaves room on either side of this pool for static IP addressed devices. 

I presume so. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between Orbi router and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 6
LEWB71
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response. My Airport Express within the house is wired to the AirPort Extreme via Cat5. The Express in the boat house is wireless and about 100 ft. away from the main house. I can get a connection but it comes and goes at times. The house is approximately 3,600 sq. ft. on 2 floors.
Currently my AirPort Extreme base is downstairs in my office. The Airport Express is upstairs in the Great Room wired into a Cat5 outlet. I’m hoping the Orbi can reach to the boat house. I can relocate my base to the downstairs Great Room. If wired, is there a limit to how far the satellite can be from the base?
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT5 or CAT5e? I recommend upgrading to CAT6 if possible. CAT5 is for older 100Mb connection rates. 1000Mb started with CAT5e. 

If wired, the limit would be up to max distance of CAT5e or CAT6, which is hundreads of feet.  

Message 4 of 6
LEWB71
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I’m not able to rewire the house with Cat5e or 6.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well for lower ISP speeds you should be ok with CAT5. Anything around 900Mbps you could see some issues with CAT5. I think you'll be ok for your needs.

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7