Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi satellite RBS50 not syncing to Orbi router (RBR50)

j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear Orbi satellite RBS50 not syncing to Orbi router (RBR50)

Netgear Orbi satellite RBS50 not syncing to Orbi router (RBR50) after overnight automatic firmware update many months ago. So, why didn’t I try to solve the issue when it happened you might ask? Well, the reason it’s taken me this long to try to fix the issue is I also have the RBS50Y outdoor satellite, and so I used this satellite inside the house instead of where I normally use it, which is outside in the back. I was very busy at the time with work and pushed off trying to problem solve why the satellite wouldn’t connect to the router & continued to pulse white slowly (even after leaving the satellite on overnight, it continued to slowly pulse white). I figured, I’ve had some difficulties syncing the satellites to the router in the past (particularly after firmware updates), but I’ve always been able to get the satellites to work eventually so I’ll deal with this later when I have time.

At the time, I did notice there was a difference with this automatic update (versus previous automatic updates). When I woke up and noticed my network wasn’t working. I quickly found out that the router and satellites had rebooted themselves to factory default state including the default SSID & password after updating to the new firmware. All of my Orbi products (RBR50, RBS50, RBS50Y) updated properly, except for my second RBS50. The satellite was continually slowly pulsing white. So, after a few quick tries to get the RBS50 to connect to my satellite, I sat it out of the way and moved my RBS50Y to where the RBS50 was and called it a day.

Many months later (now) I started problem solving. I searched the internet and the NETGEAR Orbi support forums for solutions for an RBS50 satellite turning on, first blinking/pulses white at a fast pace, then the white blinking/pulsing slows down and continues this without changing colors or connecting to the router (RBR50). I have tried a factory reset on the satellite and the router (pressing in reset button on back of devices for 30 seconds), tried connecting satellite to router with ethernet cable. The RBS50 showed up as a “connected device” (not a connected satellite) and had the i.p. address of 192.168.1.250 I tried to connect to this i.p. address through a wireless & wired connection, but the i.p. address couldn’t be found. I found multiple threads on the forums describing what I was experiencing, and I tried every suggestion except for: 1) Changing the i.p. of one of my computers to a static i.p. and tftping into the satellite to change/update the firmware and also 2) Downgrading the firmware on my RBR50 Router hoping that the router will then be able to communicate with the satellite with a previous firmware installed.

My current RBR50 & RBS50 are using firmware V2.5.1.8
My RBS50Y outdoor satellite is using firmware V2.3.5.32
I’m not able to find out which firmware the non-working RBS50 satellite is on.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Netgear Orbi satellite RBS50 not syncing to Orbi router (RBR50)

After trying to add a support ticket & then call Netgear 2 separate times with no luck receiving support, I became more frustrated about how Netgear doesn’t seem to have a way to contact them once your 90-day support after purchasing a product is up unless you fork over money. Considering this was a random event where Netgear pushed a software update overnight, which seemingly bricked my RBS50 satellite, I’d think the company would be willing to help out in that case, but that’s not what I discovered.

Anyway, I was determined more than ever to get the RBS50 satellite working again with my RBK53 system. After trying various hard resets and configurations, I hooked my non-functioning RBS50 to my working RBS50 with an Ethernet cable. Then, before I turned on the non-working RBS50, I held in the sync & reset buttons, and at the same time, turned the RBS50 on. The back light initially turned red, started blinking, and then turned off. I let go of all the buttons, and somehow the satellite rebooted and connected to my system. I really do t know how or why this fixed my satellite from connecting to my system, but it did! Problem solved.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 12 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the 2nd RBS50. Connect a wired PC or laptop to this RBS and wait about 5 minutes. Use IE11, FF or Opera browser and log into 192.168.1.250. The RBS web page should appear. Log in as admin and PW is password. You can see what FW version its on. If it's not on the same version as the RBR, since there isn't a 2.5.1.8 available for file download as of yet, you'll need to contact NG support and have them send you the RBS version of this to you so you can manually send it to the RBS that seems to be behind on FW updates. Once you get the RBS updated to the same version, it should re-sync and get connected to the RBR. 

If you can't get the file from NG soon, you may have to downgrade your system to last working version of FW on the RBR and RBSs. Current recommended is v34. Which are available for file download. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 2 of 15
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for your response. I tried to downgrade the Orbi router (RBR50) to see if the satellite (RBS50) would sync but no such luck. In the process of doing so, I realized that the slow white pulsing is continuous, and resetting the satellite (by holding in the reset button for 10+ seconds has no effect on the satellite (even though the power light changes from green to blinking orange). Basically, the satellite does 2 things: When turned on, it blinks white fast, then 15+ seconds later it slowly pulses white and will continue to do that indefinitely. If I connect an Ethernet cable from the RBR50 to the RBS50, the orbilogin interface shows the device as connected through a wire connection, but it shows up under the client list (versus part of the satellite list) and it shows the device as being “Netgear,” has the Mac number on there, and shows an i.p. Address as 192.168.1.250

I tried to connect an Ethernet cable from my computer to the RBS50 and login to 192.168.1.250 , but I received a message in the FF browser that the server wasn’t found.

I’m at a loss with this satellite issue.

-J
Message 3 of 15
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

With the ethernet cable plugged in between the RBR50 and RBS50, can you then browse to http://192.168.1.250/  from a PC?

@j1n wrote:
If I connect an Ethernet cable from the RBR50 to the RBS50, the orbilogin interface shows the device as connected through a wire connection, but it shows up under the client list (versus part of the satellite list) and it shows the device as being “Netgear,” has the Mac number on there, and shows an i.p. Address as 192.168.1.250

Message 4 of 15
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

I set the Ethernet cable up between the RBR50 & the RBS50. I then I tried to connect to http://192.168.1.250/ wirelessly, and also with an Ethernet cable connected from my computer to the RBS50, and both times on FF I received the message: “Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.250.”
Message 5 of 15
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Since the web interface of the RBS50 satellite is not responding, I suggest doing a factory reset of it by pressing the reset button on it for 15-30 seconds and then attempt to resync it with your RBR50 router.

Message 6 of 15
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi tomschmidt,

Thanks for the response. That’s a good idea that I already tried and the RBS50 satellite would not sync to the RBR50 router.
Message 7 of 15
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m at a loss at this point as what to do. My Orbi system (RBK53) is out of warranty, however, considering this happened when an automatic update was pushed to my system overnight and then one of my satellites (RBS50) not only wouldn’t sync to the router, but it will pulse slowly white indefinitely, any suggestions on what my next steps might be?

I also wanted to make sure I mentioned the RBS50 satellite doesn’t respond to holding in the factory reset button on the back of the unit. The led will blink orange on the back, but once I let go of the reset button the RBS50 continues to slowly pulse white.
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like this one satellite is just bad and needs to be replaced. 

@j1n wrote:
I’m at a loss at this point as what to do. My Orbi system (RBK53) is out of warranty, however, considering this happened when an automatic update was pushed to my system overnight and then one of my satellites (RBS50) not only wouldn’t sync to the router, but it will pulse slowly white indefinitely, any suggestions on what my next steps might be?

I also wanted to make sure I mentioned the RBS50 satellite doesn’t respond to holding in the factory reset button on the back of the unit. The led will blink orange on the back, but once I let go of the reset button the RBS50 continues to slowly pulse white.

Message 9 of 15
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m afraid you may be correct. Would you happen to know who I could contact at Netgear to help resolve this issue considering my orbi RBS50 satellite was working fine until Netgear initiated an automatic overnight firmware update (that did successfully update my RBR50 router and 1 of the 2 RBS50 satellites) but left the second RBS50 satellite in a non-functional state?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 10 of 15
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who pitched in with trying to get one of my Orbi RBS50 Satellites to work with my RBK53 system that has been working well until this point. I consider myself somewhat savvy with managing/fixing tech issues. I’m an individual that has a difficult time “giving up” when trying to fix a software or hardware product because I’ve always been able to figure out solutions to the problems I’ve encountered (sometimes on my own, and sometimes with the support of communities all over the web, including this helpful community). I’ve spent literally over 8 hours in total trying to fix this Satellite after it automatically rebooted overnight and then wouldn’t connect to the RBR50 (including searching this support forum, Reddit, and google searches, and also physically trying everything I could come up with, as well as all the advice from multiple people in numerous support forums. As FURRYe38 stated above, “Sounds like this one satellite is just bad and needs to be replaced.” After exhausting all options and spending many hours trying to solve this satellite issue, I’ve come to terms that the overnight automatic firmware update somehow corrupted one of my satellites.

When I asked if anyone knew who to contact regarding this issue (since my “90 Day Technical Support” ended awhile back) I received no responses on this forum. I’m hoping that someone in this support forum can give me guidance on who I might be able to contact to resolve this issue. If I’m unable to get guidance on who to contact to replace the faulty RBS50, I may have to think long and hard before purchasing any Netgear Routers, Modems, Repeaters, and Switches, all of which I’ve purchased in the past without issues until now.

I truly hope the numerous messages I read from others on this forum saying that Netgear support is almost non-existent once you’ve owned a product for more than 90 days.

I’ll keep everyone on this forum apprised of the outcome of this situation.

Sincerely
-j1n
Model: CM700|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 11 of 15
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

After trying to add a support ticket & then call Netgear 2 separate times with no luck receiving support, I became more frustrated about how Netgear doesn’t seem to have a way to contact them once your 90-day support after purchasing a product is up unless you fork over money. Considering this was a random event where Netgear pushed a software update overnight, which seemingly bricked my RBS50 satellite, I’d think the company would be willing to help out in that case, but that’s not what I discovered.

Anyway, I was determined more than ever to get the RBS50 satellite working again with my RBK53 system. After trying various hard resets and configurations, I hooked my non-functioning RBS50 to my working RBS50 with an Ethernet cable. Then, before I turned on the non-working RBS50, I held in the sync & reset buttons, and at the same time, turned the RBS50 on. The back light initially turned red, started blinking, and then turned off. I let go of all the buttons, and somehow the satellite rebooted and connected to my system. I really do t know how or why this fixed my satellite from connecting to my system, but it did! Problem solved.
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Nice find and glad you were able to recover the RBS. Thanks for sharing what you did. Will keep this in mind. 

You can always contact a forum moderator on here to check with them about additional support. Yes, after 90 days, support is fee based. however check with a forum moderator on what your options are. 

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@j1n wrote:

Message 13 of 15
cyclohexane
Initiate

I spent 30 minutes of unsuccessfully trying to sync with the official instructions (pushing sync on the satellite and then on the router)... but found success right away by using the “add the satellite” function in the Orbi iPhone app.
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser were you using? 

Did you already have the RBR setup or was it out of the box? 

What Firmware is currently loaded? Same version need to be on RBR and RBS. 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@cyclohexane wrote:
I spent 30 minutes of unsuccessfully trying to sync with the official instructions (pushing sync on the satellite and then on the router)... but found success right away by using the “add the satellite” function in the Orbi iPhone app.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7