Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Orbi turns on Lutron occupancy sensing switch

wchp
Luminary

Netgear Orbi turns on Lutron occupancy sensing switch

AH HA... So for the last 48 hours my Lutron MS-OPS2 occupancy sensing light switch in my bathroom adjacent to where the new upstairs Orbi lives kept turning itself on with no one in the room and staying on. I tried changing the settings, resetting the device and then replaced it and still the same thing... then it dawned on me, the only thing that had changed was the addition of the Orbi sitting about 4 feet away on the other side of the wall. Unplugged the Orbi and... problem solved. Lights no longer turning themselves on. Lutron MS-OPS2 now working correctly again. Funny, read the Orbi manual and no mention of home automation features!
Go figure. Don't know what this is about, but that sure drove me nuts for the last two days! so tag this

• RBS50
  • Firmware Version: V1.3.0.12

#Netgear Orbi turns on Lutron occupancy sensing switch.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
wchp
Luminary

Re: Netgear Orbi turns on Lutron occupancy sensing switch

So the remedy was to move the satellite 5+ feet away (obstructed by a wall) from the location of the switch.

In ad-hoc testing, this increased to 8.5 feet if the satellite was within line of sight of the switch.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @wchp

Welcome to the community!

That's a very interesting scenario.

Kindly register your device so that we can log a case for it.

Let me know once done. 

Message 2 of 5
wchp
Luminary

The unit is already registered SN - 4PM2695405FE9

Message 3 of 5
wchp
Luminary

So the remedy was to move the satellite 5+ feet away (obstructed by a wall) from the location of the switch.

In ad-hoc testing, this increased to 8.5 feet if the satellite was within line of sight of the switch.

Message 4 of 5
wchp
Luminary

So Netgear was able to replicate the issue. I contacted Lutron and the following is a summary of that conversation and notes on placement proximal to their products.

I contacted Lutron support and confirmed the switches sensitivity to RF line noise (and they are aware of the issue of WiFi routers or extenders causing this functional anomaly). Their official solution is to move the router farther away from the switch module AND fixture. They also noted that the switch module is more prone to this interference when using LED bulbs (occurrence is reduced using CFL or incandescent bulbs)

Shielding of the switch unit will not help as it is RF noise on the lines that actually causes the issue.  

The location of the satellite when it was causing the problem was on the opposite side of the wall of the switch but only inches from the wire path in the wall between the fixtures and the switch.

I tried placing the satellite on the other end of the dresser which now puts it ~3 feet from the switch but on the opposite side of the switch, AC supply line, and fixture wiring path.

I do not experience the problem with the satellite in this new location.

So it appears that it is an RF line noise sensitivity issue with the switch which may be compounded by the use of LED bulbs and the proximity of the satellite to the line/switch/fixture wiring rather than the actual switch. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7