Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi vs. IOgear Wireless HDMI

gibrahim
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi vs. IOgear Wireless HDMI

Hi there was a previous post on this topic that was never solved.  Pasted here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Netgear-Orbi-vs-IOgear-Wireless-HDMI/m-p/1218200

I am having the exact issue where my IO Gear Wireless HDMI that connects to my TV is interfering heavity with my Orbi router.  I never had this problem using my Apple Airport Extreme, but ever since I (upgraded?) to Orbi, my TV has a lot of interference.  My TV cable box, Orbi router, and IO Gear HDMI transmitter are in a closet that is about 30 feet away from my TV with my IO Gear receiver.  When I was on my Airport Extreme everything was working well, after upgrading to my Orbi, I get a ton of interference on my TV.  And it connects half the time.

I think it may have something to do with how the IO Gear selects the channel from the trasmitter to the reciever, and that interferes with the Orbi somehow, but unfortunately that is all done automatically so I cannot manually change channels.  Is there a way to fix this with a setting on the Orbi somehow?

I'm not sure if it has something to do with 2g vs 5g wifi broadcast, but am in desperate need of help since I can't seem to watch TV wirelessly anymore!

Help!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gibrahim

Per engineering team, the issue has something to do with interoperability. The IO Gear HDMI TX/RX does not follow 802.11 protocol that makes the Orbi interfere with it. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Probably not.  Move the Orbi out of the closet and as faf away from the HDMI transmitter as possible.

Message 2 of 13
gibrahim
Aspirant

Thanks but unfortunately I can’t as my Orbi has to connect to my cable router (Verizon Fios ONT) and that’s also in the closet. I am trying to keep all the equipment in my closet including my cable box and IO Gear transmitter.

How is it that an older technology like Airport Exteme worked fine but Orbi is giving me issues?

Netgear has no fix to this? It’s unfortunate as I would have to return the Orbi and satellite as watching TV cleanly is important to me.
Message 3 of 13
st_shaw
Master

@gibrahim wrote:
Thanks but unfortunately I can’t as my Orbi has to connect to my cable router (Verizon Fios ONT) and that’s also in the closet. I am trying to keep all the equipment in my closet including my cable box and IO Gear transmitter.

How is it that an older technology like Airport Exteme worked fine but Orbi is giving me issues?

Netgear has no fix to this? It’s unfortunate as I would have to return the Orbi and satellite as watching TV cleanly is important to me.

You can connect Orbi to the ONT using an Ethernet cable up to 100 meters long. So, you can certainly move Orbi--you just don't want to. 

It appears that the HDMI extender and Orbi are using overlapping frequenecies and will thus interfere. I've seen Orbi interfere with other wireless devices, even if they are on different channels, if they are too close to Orbi.

The Airport and Orbi are different devices, so the fact that Airport worked doesn't mean much.  The Orbi has two radios, uses more WiFi channels, and has a more powerful radio.

Orbi and the HDMI extender will work better if you separate them by 5-10 feet and don't put them in a closed space where the RF energy will bounce around.  You've exacerbated the interference by closing them both up in a closet.

I suggest you move Orbi outside the closet, at least temporarily, and see if that resolves the issue. Orbi will work better outside a closet anyway, as would any WiFi device.

Proper placement is critcal for Orbi and is up to the user to get right.

Message 4 of 13
gibrahim
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I’ll certainly try and move the Orbi outside the closet though that honestly defeats the purpose of trying to keep my equipment free and clear of sight. It will be odd having a wire run across the room from the Orbi to my ONT box but I will give it a shot.

One last question, if it’s a frequency issue is there a HDMI wireless transmitter that you know of that wouldn’t interfere. Or perhaps a transmitter where I can manually select the channel?

Message 5 of 13
st_shaw
Master

I understand the concern with aesthetics, especially if the wife is involved. 🙂

To avoid interference, you would want something that does not use either of the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands used by WiFi.  Something like this device on Amazon, which uses 60 GHz.  "Using the 60GHz frequency band, Air3C-Pro is free from interference from common problems like Wi-Fi, cordless phones and microwave ovens"

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00NPFFYDU/ezvid02-20

I have no direct experience with this device though.

Message 6 of 13
gibrahim
Aspirant

Ha!  Thanks for the response.  I will try it this weekend and see if moving the Orbi away from the HDMI transmitter makes a difference.

Message 7 of 13
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gibrahim

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information st_shaw provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 8 of 13
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gibrahim

Per engineering team, the issue has something to do with interoperability. The IO Gear HDMI TX/RX does not follow 802.11 protocol that makes the Orbi interfere with it. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 13
gibrahim
Aspirant

Thank you Bianca that is helpful!  Is there any hdmi tx/rx product that would work with the Orbi? When my satellite is on, I virtually cannot operate the TV - too much interference.  When the satellite is off, I can probably use the TV 20% of the time.  Eventually it find a channel that would work.  But even then I get interference.

Is there any hdmi tx/rx you can recommend to bypass this issue?  This is the only way I can watch TV as I use hdmi transmittor from my box (in the closet) to my hdmi receiver next to the TV which is about 30 feet away.

Thanks

Message 10 of 13
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator
gibrahim
Aspirant

Thank you very much!!
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru