Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ProSAFE 5-Port Switch Connected to Orbi RBK20 Router = Unidentified Ethernet Connection

masemasemase
Aspirant

Netgear ProSAFE 5-Port Switch Connected to Orbi RBK20 Router = Unidentified Ethernet Connection

Hi there. Let me start by saying I'm not super-technical. I've managed to [successfully] setup my Orbi Router and 1 x Satellite. I'm now trying to connect a 5-port switch to the router, which is running in 'Router' mode - not 'AP Mode'. The router is connected directly to my fibre connection, so no need for a modem. The wireless network is working fine. It seems to be sending data from the router, but when I connect other wired devices [E.g. Smart TV, another Swtich or the Xbox] to the unmanaged switch, I'm getting no internet connection [Unidentified Network]. Do I need to chnage from dynamic IP or DNS settings or is there something more complicated I'm missing. When I swtiched to 'AP Mode' everything died and I had to start from scratch. Any help would be good help right now. I'm about to give up.   

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear ProSAFE 5-Port Switch Connected to Orbi RBK20 Router = Unidentified Ethernet Connection

Start by connecting one device directly to the Orbi ethernet LAN port.  With the Orbi in router mode, this device should get an IP address assigned to it and be able to access the internet.  If one device does not work, then devices connected to a switch will not work, either.

Message 2 of 8
masemasemase
Aspirant

Re: Netgear ProSAFE 5-Port Switch Connected to Orbi RBK20 Router = Unidentified Ethernet Connection

Great, thanks CrimpOn. Tried what you suggested, nothing connects to the internet, not the laptop or the Xbox.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of this switch? 

Be sure this switch is in good working order and operating correctly. Try at a different location to see if the problem follows the switch.

Be sure your using good quality LAN cables. CAT6 recommended. Swap out for know good working cables.

@masemasemase wrote:

Hi there. Let me start by saying I'm not super-technical. I've managed to [successfully] setup my Orbi Router and 1 x Satellite. I'm now trying to connect a 5-port switch to the router, which is running in 'Router' mode - not 'AP Mode'. The router is connected directly to my fibre connection, so no need for a modem. The wireless network is working fine. It seems to be sending data from the router, but when I connect other wired devices [E.g. Smart TV, another Swtich or the Xbox] to the unmanaged switch, I'm getting no internet connection [Unidentified Network]. Do I need to chnage from dynamic IP or DNS settings or is there something more complicated I'm missing. When I swtiched to 'AP Mode' everything died and I had to start from scratch. Any help would be good help right now. I'm about to give up.   

Message 4 of 8
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

Would it not be better to set the switch up directly to your IPS modem and Orbi to the switch ?
Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Steven_Belfast wrote:
Would it not be better to set the switch up directly to your IPS modem and Orbi to the switch ?

As Orbi is the router, and on the intermediate network between the ISP modem and the Orbi WAN/Internet port there is a public IP - nope.

That would be fine if there is an ISP modem/router with LAN ports and Orbi in AP mode only.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@masemasemase wrote:
Great, thanks CrimpOn. Tried what you suggested, nothing connects to the internet, not the laptop or the Xbox.

If this is a Windows laptop, please open a CMD (command line) window and type in ipconfig /all

Do you get something that looks like this:

C:\Users\**bleep**>ipconfig /all

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-25-64-0F-BA-CD
      DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
      Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
      IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
      Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 11:48:49 AM
      Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 01, 2019 11:13:46 AM
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
      DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
      NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

We are looking for the IPv4 address assigned to the ethernet port on the laptop.  Typically it will begin "192.168.1" and the fourth number will be between 2 and 64.

The last step is to look at the "Attached Devices" page on the Orbi web interface (or the equivalent on the Orbi app) and see if there is a device with the same MAC address as the laptop (the "physical address").

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would also test the LAN connection at the RBR with conneting a LAN device driectly to the RBR. IF this is successful, then maybe this switch could be the issue. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7