Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear RBK50v

applefancb
Aspirant

Netgear RBK50v

The Netgear orbi rbk50v is currently on sale for $199 on amazon and Netgear website. Is this still a capable router or is it outdated? Should I look at other routers instead of this router?
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear RBK50v

This is a (sort of weird) combinationi of a RBR50 router with an Alexa voice satellite.  https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk50v.aspx The Orbi "AC" product line was first submitted to the FCC for approval in 2016, which makes the design 4-5 years old.  I have an RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite, am happy with them, and plan to keep them for at least another two to four years before upgrading to the WiFi6 technology.  Maybe with Netgear.  Maybe with someone else.

So, "yes, if this product will meet your needs, it is a fine package at an attractive price."

Only you can decide if it is right for you.

Message 2 of 6
BigRune
Apprentice

Do not buy an Orbi if you care for stability and up-time. I made that mistake in Januari this year and returned it. Netgear Orbi demonstrates poor reliability and neverending software issues in combination with cumbersome and expensive third party security. Therefore I find Negear Orbi an altogether inferior product in comparision to all my previous and current network equipment. 

Message 3 of 6
applefancb
Aspirant

Thanks you for the info, along with the other Info I received, I will probably look for something more updated and useful
Message 4 of 6
applefancb
Aspirant

Thank you for the info, this would be my first mesh network to purchase so I wanted to make sure I get something I can use for a few years comfortably. What do you use for router?
Message 5 of 6
BigRune
Apprentice

@applefancb wrote:
Thank you for the info, this would be my first mesh network to purchase so I wanted to make sure I get something I can use for a few years comfortably. What do you use for router?

I bought Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine and an additional Unifi NanoHD access point. Read about UDM here: https://dl.ubnt.com/ds/udm_ds

UDM is a new product from Ubiquiti that combines the good stuff from the Unifi line into one physical unit (like any router Smiley Wink).

The UDM might be overkill, but I must say I really like everything; the app, the web interface, the speed and the reliability so far (knock on wood). 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7