Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear account password vs. Netgear admin password

danbob6
Aspirant

Netgear account password vs. Netgear admin password

About one week ago I received an email from Netgear advising me that I could update to the latest firmware for my RBR20.  I tried launch the Orbi app, which is on my iPhone, but was stymied because I couldn't recall the admin password I had originally set-up.  I was no more successful in attempting to answer the two secret questions which would have allowed me to re-set the admin password.  Since I'm past the complementary 90 day support period, I'm not sure what to do to resolve this issue.  Anyone have any thoughts on how I can proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netgear account password vs. Netgear admin password

@danbob6 wrote:
..particularly since one question (What is your mother's middle name) isn't one I would have choosen, since she didn't have a middle name.

Interesting. Adds weight to my theory.

The depressing thing is that this bug in password recovery has been around for some time. I would have thought that they would have squished it in the Orbi range. Seems not.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

There is a section in the Orbi manual Change the admin Password. It explains how to Enable Password Recovery. These days Netgear seems to turn that on by default. So you may have to get in there and turn it off. Or set it up with your own questions and answers.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

There is only one solution when the administrative password has been lost: do a "factory reset" on the Orbi.  i.e. stick a paperclip into the tiny "reset" hole on the back and hold it until the power LED begins to flash amber.  (about 10-12 seconds)  This resets the Orbi to "out of the box".  The admin ID is "admin" and the password is "password".  The WiFi name and password are what is on the label.

Most of us find this to be such a painful experience that we save the new password in several places.

Sorry.

Message 2 of 10
danbob6
Aspirant

Crimpon (Prodigy)-

Thanks for your quick response.

As you suggested, I normally keep my important passwords in several different places, but it seems I out-smarted myself in this instance, since I seem to have done a killer job of hiding this particular passwork, as well as the answer to my 'secret questions.'

I do have two follow-up questions, though.  Relating to your last comment about the WiFi name and passwork being on the label, which abel are you referring to?

Also, what is the impact of doing a factory reset?

Thanks

Danbob6

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

On my Orbi, there is a small sticker on the bottom that has the WiFi name ("OrbiXX") and the network key (password).

After a factory reset, the Orbi is exactly like it came out of the box, unless the firmware has been updated.  It remembers nothing that was done to it except firmware updates.  So, if you gave it a WiFi name (SSID) that is more interesting than "OrbiXX" and a new password, it doesn't know that anymore.  It also does not remember any device IP assignments that have been made or any device names that have been customized.  Doesn't know if you changed the DHCP range.

In my case, I have over 30 devices that I have (very) carefully assigned specific IP addresses (all the security cameras together, all the smart plugs together, all my Tivo machines together, etc.)  I gave the network printer a specific IP address because it kept getting "moved" when a power outage would make the Orbi reboot.  All that stuff is GONE after a factory reset.  That's why people really do not want to do it unless there is no other option.  Alas, you are stuck.  You can keep the Orbi running as is, but not be able to access it until you somehow come up with the password.  Or, you can bite the bullet and "start over."

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 10
danbob6
Aspirant

Thanks for your very complete explanation re: factory reset.  Given the particulars of your situation, I can definitely understand why doing a reset is to be avoided at all costs.

In my case I only have one device, so I may go ahead and bite the bullet, when I have some time.  By the way, this whole thing started for me when I got an email from Netgear telling me I should update my firmware.  In your opinion, is it worth doing such an update?

Thanks again.

Danbob6

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

My position is, "oh, yes.  Do the update."  Every update I have done in the past two years has made things better.  Some people have had issues with updates, and the Forum has plenty of examples of "horrors".  If it happens that you update and suddenly the Orbi fails to meet your expectations, you can always go back to a previous firmware.

Message 6 of 10
danbob6
Aspirant

Will do.

Thanks again for all your help.

Danbob6

Message 7 of 10

@danbob6 wrote:

as well as the answer to my 'secret questions.'

That may not be your fault. Did you actually proivide answers to those questions.

There is a bug in some devices in Netgear's implementation of password recovery. You can get locked into a close loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Message 8 of 10
danbob6
Aspirant

Michaelkenward-

Thanks for sharting your thoughts on this issue.  I'm not 100% certain I did provide answers to the secret questions, particularly since one question (What is your mother's middle name) isn't one I would have choosen, since she didn't have a middle name.

I think I'm destined to go the factory reset route and then (as you suggest: 1) disable password recover, or 2) answer the questions and safely store the answers.

Danbob6

Message 9 of 10

@danbob6 wrote:
..particularly since one question (What is your mother's middle name) isn't one I would have choosen, since she didn't have a middle name.

Interesting. Adds weight to my theory.

The depressing thing is that this bug in password recovery has been around for some time. I would have thought that they would have squished it in the Orbi range. Seems not.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

There is a section in the Orbi manual Change the admin Password. It explains how to Enable Password Recovery. These days Netgear seems to turn that on by default. So you may have to get in there and turn it off. Or set it up with your own questions and answers.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7