Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear orbi RBR50 disconnection

Alisdair73
Aspirant

Netgear orbi RBR50 disconnection

I have the RBR50 with 3 RBK50 satellites. Recently the RBR50 (router) disconnects from the satellites and I have a flashing white ring on the RBR50. It is now doing this regularly and it causes my wi-fi to drop. I updated after this started happening to the latest firmware hoping that would help - it hasn’t. I can’t believe for an item the price this is that you only get 90 days support and that the stability is so naff! Any ideas? Other than it becoming a paperweight?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi router LED ring pulsing white indicates that the router is in factory default mode. This page lists the meaning of the power and ring LED's for Orbi router and satellite: https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Once an Orbi has been configured and synced to three satellites, it is only supposed to return to factory mode if it has been "reset to factory" by holding a paperclip in the tiny reset hole until the power LED turns solid orange and then begins flashing orange.  If you have not caused this, then something is seriously wrong.  There is one other condition that causes a pulsing white ring: applying a configuration or updating firmware.  For this to happen over and over also indicates "something wrong."

When reset to factory, the SSID returns to the one printed on the label and it no longer connected to the satellites, so your Wi-Fi network will be "gone"   until it is reconfigured and resynced.

How long have you had the Orbi and where was it purchased from?

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

@Alisdair73 wrote:

I have the RBR50 with 3 RBK50 satellites. Recently the RBR50 (router) disconnects from the satellites and I have a flashing white ring on the RBR50. It is now doing this regularly and it causes my wi-fi to drop. I updated after this started happening to the latest firmware hoping that would help - it hasn’t. I can’t believe for an item the price this is that you only get 90 days support and that the stability is so naff! Any ideas? Other than it becoming a paperweight?

Message 3 of 15
Alisdair73
Aspirant

It was purchased from amazon in sept 2017. It was ok until recently
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 15
Alisdair73
Aspirant

Firmware 2.3.0.32 on router and the 3 satellites
Orbi in ap mode
Router is draytek 2650
Home is 3000sq ft on one level with fairly thick walls in places hence 3 satellites
1st satellite is now only 2m from router! As it sometimes dropped at 8m
Mimo and beamforming enabled
Channels auto will change
1 Wifi neighbour for security purposes runs our security

Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

You did not mention doing a "factory reset" after updating to the latest firmware?

Message 6 of 15
Alisdair73
Aspirant

I didn’t do a factory reset after firmware update
Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Alisdair73 wrote:
I didn’t do a factory reset after firmware update

Seems like the obvious thing to try next.  It is a PAIN if there have been extensive customizations, but what other option do you have?

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the WiFi ON the ISP modem ALL disabled? 

2 meters is too close between the base Orbi and satellite. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@Alisdair73 wrote:
Firmware 2.3.0.32 on router and the 3 satellites
Orbi in ap mode
Router is draytek 2650
Home is 3000sq ft on one level with fairly thick walls in places hence 3 satellites
1st satellite is now only 2m from router! As it sometimes dropped at 8m
Mimo and beamforming enabled
Channels auto will change
1 Wifi neighbour for security purposes runs our security

Message 9 of 15
Alisdair73
Aspirant

Factory reset done. Finally set it all back up. Checked the channels on 2.4 and 5. Still reboots frequently so we keep gettting dropouts. It’s only the router obviously that reboots. The satellites just reconnect when it comes back online
Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the WiFi ON the ISP modem ALL disabled?

2 meters is too close between the base Orbi and satellite. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@Alisdair73 wrote:
Factory reset done. Finally set it all back up. Checked the channels on 2.4 and 5. Still reboots frequently so we keep gettting dropouts. It’s only the router obviously that reboots. The satellites just reconnect when it comes back online

Message 11 of 15
Alisdair73
Aspirant

Changed the wifi to free channels. Moved satellites further away, have to leave wifi on my draytek router as we use this for our security and the orbi is just too unstable. We also use a separate SSID. Even if I switch it off the router still reboots.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would manually load FW again on the RBR router. After loading do one factory reset and setup from scratch. Disable ALL wifi on the Dreytek modem/router. Set manual channels to 1, 6, 11 or 13 on 2.4Ghz. 

If the RBR still continues to reboot after this, I would contact NG support about an RMA.

Message 13 of 15
gegger
Aspirant

I was out on a business meeting overnight and i get a message form my wife no internet and the orbi rbr50 had a white flashing light on top.  I had her plug directily into my cable modem and internet was on.  Came home this morn and reboteed everythinginsequence and could not get it to hook up to the internet.  finally i did a factory reset and and goit to come back online and recognized the satellites.  I agree thisis a very fast router. but i am quickly losing confidence in reliability.  I am current on firmware, but still having lapse in internet.  My wife cannot use zoom wireless as it freezes when it drops internet. Hence i was going to set up backhaul this weekend, but now i am considering scrapping the whole system.  less than 6 months old and a helluva investment with the orbivoice.  I have google wifi on the shelf never had a problem with it when in use.  My down load speeds on spectrum hardwired 4-500 mbs, wireless when the orbi is connected 125-135 mbs.  any suggestions appreciated beore i throw in the towel gegger

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-setting-up-backhaul-with-spectrum/m-p/1723585#M56091

@gegger wrote:

I was out on a business meeting overnight and i get a message form my wife no internet and the orbi rbr50 had a white flashing light on top.  I had her plug directily into my cable modem and internet was on.  Came home this morn and reboteed everythinginsequence and could not get it to hook up to the internet.  finally i did a factory reset and and goit to come back online and recognized the satellites.  I agree thisis a very fast router. but i am quickly losing confidence in reliability.  I am current on firmware, but still having lapse in internet.  My wife cannot use zoom wireless as it freezes when it drops internet. Hence i was going to set up backhaul this weekend, but now i am considering scrapping the whole system.  less than 6 months old and a helluva investment with the orbivoice.  I have google wifi on the shelf never had a problem with it when in use.  My down load speeds on spectrum hardwired 4-500 mbs, wireless when the orbi is connected 125-135 mbs.  any suggestions appreciated beore i throw in the towel gegger

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7