Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear, please please please allow end user to turn off automatic firmware updates!!!

Troyd75826
Guide

Netgear, please please please allow end user to turn off automatic firmware updates!!!

Firimware updates 2.1.1.16 and 2.1.1.18 are totally unstable with random, constant loss of wifi. I must constantly reboot the router.  Prior firmware 2.0.0.56 is very stable for me and I would like to keep it and experiment with firmware updates at my own discretion.

I hope someone at Netgear actually reads this.

Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
tagteam
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear, please please please allow end user to turn off automatic firmware updates!!!

Message 2 of 13
BallHawk45
Tutor

Done - upvoted.  I will say, though - there are currently 18 "Idea suggestions" that have been moved through from the New Idea category to Reviewed category and into the Engineering Investigation category.  Those 18 suggestions have an average of 8 upvotes each.  This suggestion for a method to opt out of firmware updates currently stands in the New Idea category with **42**!!! upvotes and has not even made it to the Reviewed category yet.  I'll let that speak for itself.

In fact I looked at ALL the categories and this is the single-most upvoted idea in the entirety of the Idea Exchange - second only to

Additional DNS support at 37 upvotes, and that one is in the "Reviewed" category - yet still no traction or urgency with Netgear support.  Netgear - your customers are speaking.  Are you listening?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 13
PyroDog
Apprentice

I had to block updates using my firewall. Forced updates is a terrible idea.

Message 4 of 13
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

Troyd75826

You're complete right that it's absured that auto-updates cannot be turned though the Netgear admin UI. 

However, for others who stumble across this, there *is* a way to disable auto-updates, it's just not in the UI. You don't have to block the software update sites.

See the post by Butch1326, which details how to do it.

Even with auto-updates disabled, however, you'll have a host of other issue. See my related post here.

Message 5 of 13
Troyd75826
Guide

Yes, I have done that, and it seems to work. But we should not have to hack config files just to keep something that we know works as it is. Please read Netgear!
Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 6 of 13
webminster
Luminary

I personally (and others as well) have found the telnet hack to be unreliable.  The firewall block is the only really reliable way to block auto-updates.

Message 7 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Although allowing the user the ability to turn off auto-updates may be a positive thing, I'm curious about the following:

Number of Orbi systems sold______

Number of Orbi systems with little to no problems_______

Number of Orbi systems with too many problems_______

Message 8 of 13
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

VAJim,

I can help you with that!

Number of Orbi systems sold: Millions

Number of Orbi systems with little to no problems: 0

Number of Orbi systems with too many problems: Millions

What you're looking for is "How many users have *noticed* the Orbi system problems". 

Since the disconnect issues are not immediate, the backhaul issues are based on traffic, and firmware upgrades only cause issues if you *happen to notice*, the number of people who notice is probably low.

The issues are completely reproducable given a proper test case, across all Orbi's. If you only use wifi on and off for a few hours each day you may never notice that it drops all the time. Not noticing a problem is completely different from not having one.

Message 9 of 13
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

--

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 10 of 13
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

To be fair, I'd say it is more like 10% after looking at the Amazon reviews.

Message 11 of 13
Troyd75826
Guide

Please describe firewall block in detail.
Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 12 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You are right about one thing:  "If you only use wifi on and off for a few hours each day you may never notice that it drops all the time. Not noticing a problem is completely different from not having one." ....for I personally don't live on the Internet.  Althought I dod have 2 weather stations which feed data to the net 24/7 as well as 2 Ecobee thermostats.  So thgere you go...another satisfied customer.

wrote:

VAJim,

I can help you with that!

Number of Orbi systems sold: Millions

Number of Orbi systems with little to no problems: 0

Number of Orbi systems with too many problems: Millions

What you're looking for is "How many users have *noticed* the Orbi system problems". 

Since the disconnect issues are not immediate, the backhaul issues are based on traffic, and firmware upgrades only cause issues if you *happen to notice*, the number of people who notice is probably low.

The issues are completely reproducable given a proper test case, across all Orbi's. If you only use wifi on and off for a few hours each day you may never notice that it drops all the time. Not noticing a problem is completely different from not having one.

Sorry...no help here.

Why did you count me?  (Number of Orbi systems with little to no problems: 0 ; should read at least: Number of Orbi systems with little to no problems: 1

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7