Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear "Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000" constantly drops WiFi connections

jdb2
Aspirant

Netgear "Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000" constantly drops WiFi connections

I've had a Netgear "Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000" for a year or so. As of late, it's been constantly dropping WiFi connections to all the WiFi connected devices in my house, including iPhones, laptops, WEMO etc. The light on the satellites will turn to red, then orange and then blue and then off when this happens. I think I have the latest firmware. Also, I've set up the two Orbi satellites with static IPs, but that didn't help. I also changed WiFi channels, but again, that didn't help either. I think that one of the two satellites that I have may be malfunctioning or defective, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else been experiencing these types of problems?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jdb2

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Might try turning OFF one of the RBS and leave the other going to see if the problem continues. If so, swap and turn the other RBS off an the other one back on and test. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Betreff: Netgear "Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000" constantly drops WiFi connections

@jdb2 wrote:

........... The light on the satellites will turn to red, then orange and then blue and then off when this happens. .......

This looks to be a backhaul radio link issue (if you're using wireless backhaul):

1. How far are the Satellites from the Router?
  2. Please make a wifi scans beside the Satellites and check the level of the backhaul channel beside the Satellites.
  3. Do you have Daisy Chain activated or not? If the distance between the Satellites is less than the distance between any of the Satellites to the Router then it can make sense to have Daisy Chain enabled. Otherwise disabling it is better.
  4. Do you have any possibility to use wired backhaul?
Message 3 of 6
jdb2
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your prompt reply! 🙂

"What Firmware is currently loaded?"

The firmware was just updated to : "V2.3.5.30"

"What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?"

It's an ARRIS SB8200 Docsis 3.1 cable modem hardware version 4 with a 1Gbit/sec ethernet out jack.

"Might try turning OFF one of the RBS and leave the other going to see if the problem continues. If so, swap and turn the other RBS off an the other one back on and test."

Did this but didn't help. I've since added a third satellite.

"What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?"

About 1771 feet^2

"
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

"

It's close to 10 to 20 feet for two of the satellites and even closer for the third, I think.

"Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?"

Yep -- at least a dozen 🙂

"

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings"

Already tried this but it didn't seem to do anything.

"Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s)."

I'll have to do this later 🙂 Thanks for your advice!

jdb2

Message 4 of 6
jdb2
Aspirant

Betreff: Netgear "Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000" constantly drops WiFi connections

Thanks for the reply 🙂

"This looks to be a backhaul radio link issue (if you're using wireless backhaul):"

I checked and wireless backhaul is enabled.

"How far are the Satellites from the Router?"

10 to 20 feet I'd say.

"Please make a wifi scans beside the Satellites and check the level of the backhaul channel beside the Satellites."

Don't quite know what you're asking me to do here. How to I check the level?

"Do you have Daisy Chain activated or not? If the distance between the Satellites is less than the distance between any of the Satellites to the Router then it can make sense to have Daisy Chain enabled. Otherwise disabling it is better."

It is indeed enabled 🙂 I'll try disabling it to see if that makes a difference.

"Do you have any possibility to use wired backhaul?"

I don't really want to do this as it's a real PITA 😕

Regards,

jdb2

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@jdb2 wrote:

"Do you have Daisy Chain activated or not? If the distance between the Satellites is less than the distance between any of the Satellites to the Router then it can make sense to have Daisy Chain enabled. Otherwise disabling it is better."

It is indeed enabled 🙂 I'll try disabling it to see if that makes a difference.

I really recommend to disable Daisy Chain in your case because of the following:

1. When Daisy Chain is enabled every Satellite starts broadcasting backhaul link on the same channel. If it's disabled only the Router broadcasts the backhaul link.
  2. Your Orbi Router and Satellites are very close to each other.

The above causes will result in great interference/distortion on the backhaul channel.

Please disable Daisy Chain and see if this will give you an improvement.

Good luck! 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7