Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear removed FW 2.5.0.40 + Current 2.3.5.38 "no new fw avail" = Don't upgrade

silpheedc
Aspirant

Netgear removed FW 2.5.0.40 + Current 2.3.5.38 "no new fw avail" = Don't upgrade

Just noticed that the Netgear Downloads site no longer shows 2.5.0.40. And on my running RBR and RBS 2.3.5.38, they are no longer indicating that an FW upgrade is available. Could it be that someone at Netgear realized that the 2.5.x.x branch is broken? And it begs the question: who exactly is 2.5.x.x even for?
Message 1 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear removed FW 2.5.0.40 + Current 2.3.5.38 "no new fw avail" = Don't upgrade

Interesting, 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061393/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-0-40-Hot-Fix is still available.

However I see https://kb.netgear.com/000061420/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-34-Hot-Fix as being available now with same release note information as v40. 

Security Fixes:

• Updates the https certificate

Seems that they are reverting from v2.5x to v2.3x. No idea why the numbering scheme is different. 

Maybe the NG put the HTTPS fix in the v2.3x version so users can get this fix along with Device Naming that seems to be working at this version level? 

Maybe one of the forum Moderators can comment? 

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Message 2 of 33
sclawrenc
Apprentice

Which one should we use?  The 2.3 or 2.5 versions?  It's confusing to say the least.

Message 3 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

My feeling is the prudent thing to do is wait for some people to install 2.3.5.34 and see what they report.

2.3.5.30 is "stable", but has that irritating problem with the SSL Certificate having expired last August.  If the invalid Cert doesn't bother you, and your Orbi is doing eveything you want, leave it alone.

If the invalid Cert does bother you, and people report 2.3.5.34 not causing any problems, then update to it.

If you have some issue that 2.5.0.40 appears to have solved and you do not mind the device naming being totally screwed up, then I would read through the entire sequence of posts involving 2.5.0.38 and 2.5.0.40 and make a judgement call.  "Is what I stand to gain worth the shortcomings that people have pointed out?"

For me, it's simple.  I'm staying on 2.3.5.30 until there is a consensus that 2.3.5.34 causes no problem.

Message 4 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

As suggested, it's up to you what you want to do and try. Eitherway, I would as a last resort factory reset your RBR when upgrading or downgrading to check the operation of what your wanting to use. Others have reported doing this has solved there problems they saw:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/2-5-0-40-Attached-Devices-Issue-on-RBR50-RBS50/m-p/1827366/hig...

@sclawrenc wrote:

Which one should we use?  The 2.3 or 2.5 versions?  It's confusing to say the least.

Message 5 of 33
sclawrenc
Apprentice

Thanks.

Which one is the latest version?  I would think the 2.5, but I'm not sure based on the release info.

Message 6 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

v2.5.0.40 if your going by numbers. They just posted v2.3.5.34 today if you want to call this the "latest". 

Message 7 of 33
silpheedc
Aspirant

2.5 is latest
Message 8 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep.

Message 9 of 33
sclawrenc
Apprentice

So why did they release another 2.3 if 2.5 is the latest? That doesn’t make sense.
Message 10 of 33
nicktrick92
Aspirant

I upgraded to 2.5.0.40 a couple days ago and have had troubles ever since. The network has been literally (No exageration) dropping every 3-5 minutes. I'm going to be reverting back this morning, but I highly suggest not upgrading if you do have the option to go to 2.5.0.40. Not sure if there's an issue with it or what.

Message 11 of 33
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@nicktrick92 wrote:

I upgraded to 2.5.0.40 a couple days ago and have had troubles ever since. The network has been literally (No exageration) dropping every 3-5 minutes. I'm going to be reverting back this morning, but I highly suggest not upgrading if you do have the option to go to 2.5.0.40. Not sure if there's an issue with it or what.

The last stable release is V2.3.5.30 as reported by most users.  NG has recently released a hot fix V2.3.5.34 to fix the expired https certificate.  I have reverted my RBR50 router and RBS50 satellites to V2.3.5.30 and my network is more stable and my device names are correct and I can edit them, whereas V2.5.0.38 and .40 device names are completely broken and messed up.  NG support has asked me to try the V2.3.5.34 hot fix, but I do not have time currently to try it.  I hope to make time in the next 2-3 days to try it, but I would like to see if others have tried V2.3.5.34 without issues.  It can be found at https://kb.netgear.com/000061420/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-34-Hot-Fix

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@sclawrenc wrote:
So why did they release another 2.3 if 2.5 is the latest? That doesn’t make sense.

It does make sense.  Users have been furious with Netgear since August when they let the SSL Certificate expire.  (Words like "stupid", "incompetent", etc.)  Since the 38 and 40 releases have proved so unpopular that Netgear actually pulled them, the least they could do was to update the damn Certificate.  It's a simple file replacement, which they should have done in August.  One problem solved.  The Cert complaints go away.

Message 13 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS. Factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on. I have v40 loaded on my RBR50 and used this method to set up after v40 was loaded. No issues seen like what your describing. 

If you continue to have problems after the reset, downgrade to v30 or try v34 if your concerned about the certificate problem. 

@nicktrick92 wrote:

Message 14 of 33
PapaMike
Star

I manually upgraded to 2.5.0.40 last night and didn't have any negative experiences. No drops, no slow-downs and all 25 devices connected and properly identified. Currently I get more than I pay for, 117/15.

I've owned Orbi since 2014 and have never experienced more than stellar performance.

What am I doing right?

I realize a few people have firmware issues, but there are many of us who have never been disappointed by Orbi performance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 33
Wire1852
Apprentice

Sorry but at this point the Netgear Orbi firmware development team has burned multiple users & lost all credibility. I'm not going to be a guinea pig with for all practical purposes a hot fix with a single line of documentation. As far as I know it could just be a straight copy of the 40 hot fix.

Staying on the sidelines is the most logical & safest thing to do. 

@tomschmidt wrote:
NG support has asked me to try the V2.3.5.34 hot fix, but I do not have time currently to try it.  I hope to make time in the next 2-3 days to try it, but I would like to see if others have tried V2.3.5.34 without issues.  

Message 16 of 33
pablohoney
Luminary

Please see my other posts in the other threads. Netgear has acknowledged to me via. email that there are bugs in the current firmware. They have based this on logs I have sent them for my RBR and RBS 50. They are working on a fix to be out in the next few weeks. I have told them that they need to sort out their firmware and ensure proper QA is donew as their last few versions have been buggy. I told them I do not want to keep emailing Patrick Lo (CEO) and Mark Merrill (CTO) with ongoing firmware issues. But at least now they have acknowledged that the issue is their end and not ours which has not happened before.

Message 17 of 33
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I updated my firmware from V2.3.5.30 to V2.3.5.34 an hour ago. So far the device naming looks correct as it did with the .30 release. However, there are two issues I see with the .34 hot fix update.

1. The firmware update screen showed that it should take about 3 minutes to update the firmware. This screen did not update, I finally had to open a new window to my router to see that the update completed.

2. Web browsers still do not trust the updated https certificate for the .34 release. The expiration date of the certificate is now for November 2029, but Edge, Internet Explorer and Chrome browsers still do not trust the certificate.

Message 18 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for sharing this (unexpected) news.  Would it be convenient to post the actual certificate information?

Of my many browsers, Firefox seems to do the best job of actually showing the certificate information.

Here is how Firefox displays the certificate that expired in August:

Orbi Cert.png

Message 19 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you clear all browser caches in your browsers after you updated FW?

It's working for me in IE11 and Opera. 

@tomschmidt wrote:

I updated my firmware from V2.3.5.30 to V2.3.5.34 an hour ago. So far the device naming looks correct as it did with the .30 release. However, there are two issues I see with the .34 hot fix update.

1. The firmware update screen showed that it should take about 3 minutes to update the firmware. This screen did not update, I finally had to open a new window to my router to see that the update completed.

2. Web browsers still do not trust the updated https certificate for the .34 release. The expiration date of the certificate is now for November 2029, but Edge, Internet Explorer and Chrome browsers still do not trust the certificate.

Message 20 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I was told today that NG pulled v30 and v40 from there Orbi update servers. So users shouldn't see this on there FW update page on the RBR. Yes there available via the download site. 

They confirmed that v34 is the standing latest version that they recommend upgrading to. You can upgrade to v34 which has the web page certificate fix or downgrade to v30 or last working version of FW. A factory reset is the last resort if users can't get there systems working normally. Those of us who do resets and manual upgrades, this seems to avoid issues seen by those of you who do see issues and choose not to do a reset. It's up to you. NG said it was coming out with a new FW udpate to fix the device naming issue found in v38. For those of you who can't get there systems working, with or with out a factory reset, revert back to something that works for you and wait for the next update to arrive. No date was given when the next FW upate will be released.

Good Luck. 

Message 21 of 33
Voxel
Star

Interesting... I mean 2.5.x.x vs 2.3.x.x. But I still do not see any logic in this chronological numerations.

If somebody is interested I've released my custom firmware build v. 2.5.0.42SF-HW (2.5.0.40 was used as a basis, "HW" means hrdware acceleration of OpenSSL). List of changes:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/

Voxel.

Message 22 of 33
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Here is the certifcate error shown on Firefox 70.0.1 for the V2.3.5.34 firmware:

orbilogin.net uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT

Capture V2.3.5.34 Firefox 70.0.1 certificate error.PNG

Message 23 of 33
Wire1852
Apprentice

Translation....   Netgear Orbi Firmware Team = Keystone Cops

It just keeps getting worse & worse. They can't even register a security certificate correctly.

@tomschmidt wrote:

Here is the certifcate error shown on Firefox 70.0.1 for the V2.3.5.34 firmware:

Message 24 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you clear out all browser caches in FF, exit the browser then restart it? 

Does this happen with any other browsers? 

I'm not seeing this with v40 loaded. 

@tomschmidt wrote:

Capture V2.3.5.34 Firefox 70.0.1 certificate error.PNG

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7