Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear team: Please DO NOT Auto Upgrade firmware V2.1.1.16 to Orbi RBR50 devices

_Erik_B
Initiate

Netgear team: Please DO NOT Auto Upgrade firmware V2.1.1.16 to Orbi RBR50 devices

Hi Everybody,

I work from Home as IT Support, I use the VPN "Pulse Secure Network Connect v8.3" to connect to costumer's network, however since this monday 12/25 I had a lot of drops from VPN every 5 to 10 minutes, I was very frustated because I was unable to work properly, I rebooted my modem from my ISP, also rebooted the Orbi Router and Satellite and nothing resolved the issue until I found that firmware V2.1.1.16 was updated in auto in my Orbi Router RBR50, then I read in Netgear Community about this firmware and the issues that caused, so today 12/29 I decided to downgrade the firmware to V2.0.0.74 and my VPN issue was resolved, now I have a stable VPN connection, Zero Drops, thanks God the downgrade worked fine, so Netgear team: Please DO NOT  Auto Upgrade firmware V2.1.1.16 to Orbi RBR50 devices, Please listen to us, do not update anything in auto, is better to ask than just force an update and kill our work and life. if you need more information about my case, please let me know then I can provide logs or anything you need to document the issue on firmware V2.1.1.16.

Thank you

Sincerely

Erik Bautista

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
guzzijason
Apprentice

Re: Netgear team: Please DO NOT Auto Upgrade firmware V2.1.1.16 to Orbi RBR50 devices

Someone posted this in the idea exchange forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Orbi-System-Disable-automatic-firmware-updat...

I recommend going to that idea post and up-voting it! Hoepfully, Netgear will listen.

Message 2 of 8
_Erik_B
Initiate

Re: Netgear team: Please DO NOT Auto Upgrade firmware V2.1.1.16 to Orbi RBR50 devices

Thanks for your reply, I already gave my kudos to that idea

Regards

Erik Bautista

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Rather than turn off auto-update for all...?,....just make it an option.  (Auto update -ON/OFF)

I've had my orbi for just over a month and have very few issues.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
tagteam
Virtuoso

VAJim wrote:

Rather than turn off auto-update for all...?,....just make it an option.  (Auto update -ON/OFF)

The idea specifically states precisely that; automatic updates enabled (ON) should be the default and users should have the option to disable auto-updates in the event they are encountering issues with a particular firmware revision.

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ok...to take it one step further, perhaps Netgear should add some options to the firmware auto update section.   Such as how many devices do you have and what are they.  VPN like you mentioned, and the list goes on.  Somehow identified the typical (is there such a thing) user.  It amazes me that some have limited issues while others have house fires.  

Another suggestion....stop looking at the GUI.  Too many complain about their device is not showing as connected but in reality it is...?  Who cares as long as it work.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 8
tagteam
Virtuoso

Yeah, I generally agree, but Netgear will do nothing in this regard unless that "disable auto-update" idea gets enough up-votes (even then, that, alone, might not be sufficient).

Message 7 of 8
webminster
Luminary

I do care from a network troubleshooting and security perspective... I would like to be able to validate things are connecting as I expect them, and that what I expect to be connected is connected.  Other than that, I agree - one can be too obsessed, but accuracy here should be an expectation.

@Retired_Member wrote:

Another suggestion....stop looking at the GUI.  Too many complain about their device is not showing as connected but in reality it is...?  Who cares as long as it work.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7