Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network Topology, FVS318v3 plus Orbi

pcrowley203
Tutor

Network Topology, FVS318v3 plus Orbi

I currently own a NetGear FVS318v3, which I use in part because it enables me to establish a box-to-box VPN with a second, remote FVS318v3 on a separate, remote LAN.  I'm thinking about adding several Orbi wifi devices to establish mesh-enabled wifi coverage.

I'm thinking that I'd like to hardwire all my devices, including each Orbi device individually, into the FVS318v3.  That is, each Orbi device would be connected to the FVS318v3 in a hub and spoke topology, rather than hardwiring one Orbi device and daisy-chaining the others wirelessly.  I want to do this because the walls in my home are concrete and, therefore, I expect that daisy-chaining won't work all that well.

All this means, I believe, that the FVS318v3 would serve as my subnet's router and gateway.  I also think that that means that the Orbi devices would serve as access points only, not as either a router or a gateway.

Can Orbi devices be made to work this way?  Am I even thinking about this correctly?

Thanks.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The recommended way to connect Orbi and it's satellites is the following methods:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Now the satellites can be connected to switches. Non managed switches are preferred. However Managed switches can be used inbetween if you disable ALL IGMP Procols. IGMP seems to cause problems with Orbi. 

Satellites are dependent upon being connected either wirelessly or wired to the main Orbi base router. Switches work in between. Connecting satellites thru other routers or a firewall may not be possible. We don't see alot of configurations for home users using this. 

Message 2 of 11
pcrowley203
Tutor

Thanks for sending that link.  The set up depicted in the upper portion of the attached file looks most like what I want to set up.

Exactly what I'd like to set up is depicted in lower portion of the attached file.  Will something like that work?  If so, can the two boxes shaded in yellow be a single box, i.e., my FVS318v3?

Again, my goal is to ensure that all traffic that initiates on my LAN and goes out to the internet passes down the box-to-box VPN.

If what I've depicted in the attached file can't be made to work, does the Orbi router support box-to-box VPN?  I've seem some indication that it does.

Message 3 of 11
pcrowley203
Tutor

Just as an FYI, the attached describes a set-up I've tried.  As the diagram shows, I currently own an Apple Airport Extreme wifi router and an Apple Airport Express wifi range extender.  (Yes, I'm aware they are old technology, and do not support mesh.  I'm considering replacing them with Orbi.)  I have the Extreme hardwired into the FVS318v3, and the Express daisy-chained to the Extreme via wifi.  I have several other devices hardwired directly into the FVS318v3.

What I find, strangely (to my uninformed mind) is that the wifi network performs well enough (although the daisy-chain isn't great, due to the concrete walls), but none of the other devices hard-wired to the FVS318v3 can connect to the internet.  It's as though the Extreme is taking the role of router/gateway, and devices that connect to it through the FVS318v3 -- which I would have thought is now operating purely as a switch -- to the Extreme are not being routed out.  I can't understand why that would be, but I'm certainly no expert.

My concern is that, if I buy an Orbi set-up, and substitute it for the Apple wifi devices currently in place on my network, I'll run into the same problem, that is, other devices hardwired into the FVS318v3 won’t be able to reach the internet.  I'm hoping to establish that such will not be the case before I spend the money for the Orbi system.  I figure if I can make the existing set-up work as I desire -- minus the mesh functionality, of course -- then I can make it work with Orbi too.

If it's any help:  The IP address of the FVS318v3 on my network is 192.168.3.10, while the address of the Extreme is 192.168.0.2.  I would have guessed that the ISP-provided modem is at 192.168.0.1 but, when I open that IP address in a browser, it shows me the FVS318v3.  (That is, the FVS318v3 is at at least two IP addresses on my network.)  The FVS318v3 knows the gateway to be 192.168.3.1.  Maybe I need to change that to something else?  The Extreme knows the router address as 192.168.0.1.

The Extreme was in place and connected directly to the ISP-provided modem prior to my justaposing the FVS318v3 between the two.  This I did with no changes to the configuration of either the Extreme or the FVS318v3.  My guess is that by making the correct configuration changes -- whatever they may be -- I can make all this work as desired.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Your 1st picture diagram should work if the Orbi router and satellites are all connected to this switch. If it's a non managed non smart switch non green ethernet switch you should be fine with this configuration. I would run the Orbi router in AP mode since your getting DHCP from the Firewall 

@pcrowley203 wrote:

Thanks for sending that link.  The set up depicted in the upper portion of the attached file looks most like what I want to set up.

Exactly what I'd like to set up is depicted in lower portion of the attached file.  Will something like that work?  If so, can the two boxes shaded in yellow be a single box, i.e., my FVS318v3?

Again, my goal is to ensure that all traffic that initiates on my LAN and goes out to the internet passes down the box-to-box VPN.

If what I've depicted in the attached file can't be made to work, does the Orbi router support box-to-box VPN?  I've seem some indication that it does.

Message 5 of 11
pcrowley203
Tutor

OK, great.  Thanks.

Just to be clear (as I've attached at least two files named diagram.png earlier in this thread):  Are you saying the set-up in the file attached to this post -- which file is named Capture.png -- should work?  That is, assuming I move the DHCP functionality to the FVS318v3?

Also, I'm thinking that, rather than wrestle with this myself, I might be better off hiring someone who really understands this stuff to set it up.  Someone like that should be able to get this done in an hour or so, I would think, whereas it might take me days of trial and error.  Any idea how I can find a truly knowledgeable network engineer who would be willing to take on such a small project?  I think such a person could probably work on this remotely, so he or she could be physically located anywhere.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the very first picture with a switch behind the FVS firewall was recommended as a working solution. 

It's possible that the Orbi and satellite may work directly behind the FVS firewall with out the switch, however you'll have to test this out. 

I would check local listings in a phone book or local computer store for on site help. This wouldn't really take a network engineer to get this working. Rather someone with good knowledge of networking and home networking equipment. I believe if you already have this system in place and your just adding the Orbi system, put the non managed switch in behind the FVS firewall and connect the satellites and Orbi router to it and configure AP Mode on the Orbi router and you'll be set:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

You can set up the Orbi router first for AP mode before connecting it to the main system. Once it's configured then connect it and add the satellites. 

Message 7 of 11
pcrowley203
Tutor

OK. Great. So I think I’ll buy the Orbi system and see if I can make it work without adding a switch. If I can’t, I’ll buy a switch and add it.

Thanks for your answers.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. I recommend if the system fw has not been updated. Download the FW files first. IF the orbi is on old FW, download the middle of the road FW version for the router AND satellite. Download the most current v210 version files as well. Set up the router and satellites first, then get the satelites updated first fully. Then upgrade the router lastly. 

The older FW that loaded on the system for some reason doesn't allow to apply the most current version of FW directly, so you have to use a version of FW in the middle of the road, then apply the most current lastly. Then you'll be good going forward. 

Message 9 of 11
pcrowley203
Tutor

Thank you. Good advice.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors