Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network error - can't connect orbi correctly

Toinewh
Aspirant

Network error - can't connect orbi correctly

Hello everyone,

I started to install the Orbi RBR50 in a new house. And I had everything set up for a perfect configuration. But I realized that the hour wasn't accurate: maybe we're not on 2019 november... After a few investigations, I saw that the Orbi router couldn't make profit of the modem connexion. It's able to share Internet to the devices, and it says for itself : ERROR not connected, or detecting... leading nowhere.

Any advice ? In the former config, everything was fully functionnal. I tried a factory reset and the common rebooting processes recommended.

Thanks for your help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Network error - can't connect orbi correctly

Gateway sould be the same as what is set on the modem. Usually 255.255.255.0

Your DNS is incorrect. It should be 192.168.1.1 or you can input other DNS addressses, 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9, 8.8.8.8 or your ISP actual DNS addresses as well. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 14
Toinewh
Aspirant

The firmware version is 2.5.1.8

The modem used is a Freebox mini 4K (I’m in France). I set the Orbi router in router mode or AP without any change (on router mode, no internet connection at all. Now, on AP mode, which is the most convenient in a French case I guess, the internet connection passes through the Orbi set up, but the Orbi devices can’t connect itself)
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So the RBS are not connecting to the RBR in AP mode? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Yes if your ISP modem has a built in router already, AP mode would be recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 4 of 14
Toinewh
Aspirant

I may be unclear :

RBR and RBS are connected together. WiFi signal is covering the entire house and every device makes benefit of it.
Thus, the Orbi set itself is unable to access internet. Unable to connect to NTP, or firmware update. Orbilogin says ERROR: not connected (this affects only the Orbi set)
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Since your ISP is a router as well, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 6 of 14
Toinewh
Aspirant

My current configuration is the 3rd point you explained. I’ve tried the double NAT and figured out that it wasn’t the best way. So I configured it on AP mode, connected to the ISP router/modem. And here is my problem
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

How did you configure AP mode, using Dynamic or Static IP address configuration on the RBR? 
What is the LAN IP address string of the modem? 192.168.something.something? 

Yellow internt port on the RBR is connected to the back of the ISP Modem? 

Message 8 of 14
Toinewh
Aspirant

I tried both dynamic and static IP. Now it’s a static IP, defined on the Freebox and put in the AP config at the beginning.
I tried to keep the IP inside or outside the adress list provided by the Freebox DHCP server of the Freebox, without any change.

Modem IP : 192.168.1.1 (as usual)
Orbi RBR IP : 192.168.1.101 (...1.102 for RBS)

Yellow port connected to the switch of the Freebox (ISP modem/router)
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the pool size of the modems IP address pool. If you use static IP on the RBR, it should be out side. 

Be sure you filled in the Gateway and DNS values as well for Static. 

Even Dynamic, should have got you internet access thru the RBR to the modem. 

Be sure the modem isn't blocking anything as well. 

Message 10 of 14
Toinewh
Aspirant

The pool size is 192.168.1.2 -> 192.168.1.99

The Orbi set is out of it indeed.

Concerning the gateway and other, everything is set this way (and fully functionnal on other devices) :

subnet mask : 255.255.255.0 (should be 255.255.255.3 ? ISP modem is 192.168.1.1, and DNS are 192.168.1.254 and ...1.253)

gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS server : 192.168.1.254 and ...1.253

As long as I can, the modem is not restrictive in any case. I even tried to whitelist the Orbi IPs.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Gateway sould be the same as what is set on the modem. Usually 255.255.255.0

Your DNS is incorrect. It should be 192.168.1.1 or you can input other DNS addressses, 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9, 8.8.8.8 or your ISP actual DNS addresses as well. 

Message 12 of 14
Toinewh
Aspirant

I tried to change the DNS.
Seems that the default DNSs in the Freebox were wrong.
I didn’t think that… and then it works perfectly.
It wasn’t such a complicated issue but hard to find.
Thanks a lot for your help!

PS: I changed the DNS server on the ISP modem, and the Orbi… advice for the next guy who read this topic!
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working now. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7