Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network issue - some pages won't load

aarondyck
Aspirant

Network issue - some pages won't load

I have had my Orbi for over two years now, without any real problems until now. I recently started to have an issue with some web sites resolving. I scratched my head for some time, until I came across a forum post suggesting that changing the MAC Address on my Orbi may resolve the issue. Sure enough, I changed my MAC Address and the pages came back. For a week. Then I was back to where I started. I've had to change the MAC twice now to get pages to load for me.

I was on FW 2.3.1.44 and downgraded to 2.2.1.212 to see if there was something in an update that broke things, but had no luck. This is happening on all my connected devices, regardless of OS, browser, or connection media. I'm hoping to find a solution quickly, because I don't want to have to change my MAC ever week. Next time I have an issue I would like to have instructions on what to look at or what I should be investigating. Hopefully someone can help me out!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Network issue - some pages won't load

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Youl should not be changing any MAC addresses. Mac Cloning maybe needed for some ISPs however most don't require any Mac Cloning. 

Who is your ISP? 

After updating to v44, please do a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Do no load a saved configuration from file. After setting up and testing, save off a new back up configuration to file. 

Message 2 of 14
aarondyck
Aspirant

I'm connected to a Technicolor TC4300 cable modem.  Orbi is in Router mode. My ISP is TekSavvy on the Cogeco network. My ISP does not require MAC cloning.

I would prefer not to have to change my MAC address, however this does appear to at least temporarily resolve the issue. 

As part of my troubleshooting I have already performed a factory reset on the router while on firmware v44. I am not looking to perform the same action over and over, and don't view this as an actual solution.

It is possible that the problem exists outside of the Orbi, however since I can use the Orbi to restore service I want to start here. 

Once I get more data on the issue (i.e. how often it occurs) I may switch out the Orbi to see if the problem exists on other routing hardware. If the problem exists on other routers I would have to point to my cable modem or my network switch. Until that time, though, the Orbi will remain my main focus since adjusting a setting on the Orbi does have an impact on the issue.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

This maybe an issue with the ISP and there services. I would contact the ISP and have them check to see if any Mac Cloning is needed and to ensure the modem is correctly setup. Also ask them about any router settings that maybe needed, like mac cloneing or MTU values. Most cable modems default to 1500. 

Message 4 of 14
aarondyck
Aspirant

I have already explored this issue with my ISP. They weren't terribly helpful, but they did try. There is no MAC Address requirement for the service, and if there were changing the address certainly wouldn't help! This isn't an MTU issue as I'm actually requesting incorrect pages, not chopping packets up. 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask about maybe changing out the ISP modem. OTher then that, possible issue with the RBR. You would need to connect it to a different modem to see. Have a friend, family member or neighbor near by that you could test your router out on there modem by chance? 

Message 6 of 14
aarondyck
Aspirant

Unfortunately I do not, and since the problem takes some time to manifest (a week, I'm guessing?) I don't think that lending out my router is the most viable option. 

I'll keep tracking the issue and if I have a resolution or any meaningful update I will post it here. For now, though, I can't do much other than wait for it to happen again.

Message 7 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@aarondyck wrote:

I have had my Orbi for over two years now, without any real problems until now. I recently started to have an issue with some web sites resolving. I scratched my head for some time, until I came across a forum post suggesting that changing the MAC Address on my Orbi may resolve the issue. Sure enough, I changed my MAC Address and the pages came back. For a week. Then I was back to where I started. I've had to change the MAC twice now to get pages to load for me.

The Technicolor TC4300 is a "modem only", i.e. no router, no WiFi. That means the Orbi connects and requests an IP address using DHCP, which also returns the IP's for internet gateway and DNS servers.  If things work again when you change the Orbi MAC address, it could be that (a) the cable network has forgotten Orbi's IP or (b) there is something wrong with their DNS or gateway.  Either way, it sounds like the trouble is at the ISP.

One thing to try is to manually set the DNS entries to your own choice, perhaps Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  Another is to do a trace route to see how Orbi gets to the internet.  (i.e. which routers it goes through.)  I don't think tracert depends on DNS.

Good Luck!

Message 8 of 14
aarondyck
Aspirant

CrimpOn, thanks for the suggestion.

I have already ruled out a DNS issue. I have specified DNS, and in some cases have even tried to use IP only (when accessing a site known to be a single Internet-facing server).

My suspicion is that there is an issue with the ARP tables on the modem, which I have no way to clear. I am also looking into this aspect of things and carefully examining the modem's logs. Unfortunately there isn't a lot to do on these modems and I'm not able to perform any maintenance commands.

Message 9 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, you are more advanced than I am.  Sorry not to have anything to suggest.

I tried to Google whether dropping power on the modem would clear the ARP cache.  Did find one interesting thread sort of similar to your situation: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1371907

Good Luck!

Message 10 of 14
dbr09
Aspirant

Did you every figure it out? I just upgraded to the Spectrum 400/20 service (with Orbi RBK50) and I'm having the same issues. No problem with the previous modem.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard after doing a factory reset?

@dbr09 wrote:

Did you every figure it out? I just upgraded to the Spectrum 400/20 service (with Orbi RBK50) and I'm having the same issues. No problem with the previous modem.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 14
aarondyck
Aspirant

It turned out to be my DNS server. Try using a different DNS and see what you get.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ha. LOL. Glad you got it figured out. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7