Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network keeps dropping wifi and forcing me to restart

warmwaffles
Aspirant

Network keeps dropping wifi and forcing me to restart

I am on the latest version v2.1.4.16

My network is setup like so

Fiber Modem --> Orbi Router --> Netgear Unmanaged Switch --> Rest of hard wired network machines

This was working perfectly fine up until about two days ago, and now I am constantly losing wifi connection and my whole network goes down.

I would wait for the network to come back up, but nothing would happen. I see via the LED indactors on my modem that the router is indeed communicating with the internet but beyond that it's not reissuing dns.

I don't know what causes it to basically crap the bed but it requires a hard restart to stabilize again.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do this, disconnect ALL but one wired PC directly to the back of the router. Turn OFF any satellites as well.

Reboot the router. When it comes to ready, go in and set up an IP address reservation for your 1 wired PC. Add and Apply the change. Then turn on the satellite, 1 at a time. Do the same thing, set up a IP address reservation ON the router for the satellites. So this for each satellite you may have. Turn on the next wired device and do the same thing. Keep doing this until you have IP address reservations for your devices.

I saw this again on my system last nite. I rebooted my router and all of a sudden I could not get an IP address and my network went down. I disconnected the game console I was having problems with and the network came back. I found out that from some reason there was a IP address conflict after the reboot on the router and DHCP is not handling the IPs correctly. After another reboot and reconnect of the game console, it got an IP address then I went directly in and set up a IP address reservation.

Something in the DHCP server needs to be looked at. It's not handling Dynamic IP address conflict very well.

Message 2 of 17
warmwaffles
Aspirant

Going through as we speak and am assigning static ips to the wired devices.

Wish I could tell the orbi to assign any wireless stuff after `10.0.0.20` and all the wired components get the other 20.

I will report back to see if this solves the issue. I am sure you are right with network collision. I just don't understand why that would bring the entire network down, wifi included.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

To clairify, Reservation IPs are set ON the router, this is what i'm suggesting here. Static IP addresses are IP address set ON a client device. The static IP address is also set out side of the default DHCP IP address pool.

I recommend this, changing the default IP address pool to somthing small, If your router is using 10.0.0.#, then set the beginning IP address range to 10.0.0.21 to say 10.0.0.50. This will give you a smaller pool to use for IP address Revervations. You can use static IP addresses on either side of this pool were needed. I set my pool for .100 to .200.

What is the Mfr and model# of you ISP modem/ONT?

Message 4 of 17
warmwaffles
Aspirant

Yea I just reserved the IPs on the router itself one at a time. Restarted after the three wired machines were set and then powered everything off.

Modem: 844G-1

Wireless is disabled on it.

ISP is an Electric Co-Op

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, keep us posted.

Looking up some info on your modem...

Seens that your Modem/ONT has routing built in.

http://www.enkom-active.fi/site/assets/files/1706/844g_854g_gc_etsi.pdf

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 6 of 17
warmwaffles
Aspirant

Did factory resets on the satellite and router. I am still encountering this issue. I never had it before and haven't done anything new to the network since I set it up initially around July 13th.

Message 7 of 17
warmwaffles
Aspirant

I am also seeing a load of ACK Scans

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 52.90.223.186, port 9543, Wednesday, August 01, 2018 13:52:50
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 54.82.247.3, port 9543, Wednesday, August 01, 2018 13:52:48
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 18.209.114.171, port 9543, Wednesday, August 01, 2018 13:52:24
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 18.210.177.215, port 9543, Wednesday, August 01, 2018 13:51:37

probably nest thermostats.

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I have two NEST thermostats on mine. 

I run MIMO disabled. 

You mgiht disable the wifi on the NESTs for a short time to see if this could be an issue...

Message 9 of 17
warmwaffles
Aspirant

I ended up returning the Orbi due to this issue. I could never resolve it and since I work from home this was a show stopper. Thanks for the help Furry.

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry it didn't work out. Good Luck in trying something differrent.

Message 11 of 17
warmwaffles
Aspirant

Not a problem. Still love my 24 port gigabit switch.

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Love mine too. Heart

Message 13 of 17
Thanos197
Initiate

I have the same problem. It should not require this much tinkering to get the basic functions of this device to work properly. It’s been over a year and I doubt Costco would let me return it without the packaging and the receipt. Going to try google Wifi.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 14 of 17
warmwaffles
Aspirant

it sucks but this seemed like the better alternative to shelling out cash for Ubiquiti gear. Was hoping this would fill my needs and it did for about 17 days and then went totally haywire. Unfortunate really.
Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try making a new post and let us know what your problems are.

My friend got his system at Costo and I set his up for him. Still up and running and he's happy:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@Thanos197 wrote:
I have the same problem. It should not require this much tinkering to get the basic functions of this device to work properly. It’s been over a year and I doubt Costco would let me return it without the packaging and the receipt. Going to try google Wifi.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Sent you a PM...

@warmwaffles wrote:
it sucks but this seemed like the better alternative to shelling out cash for Ubiquiti gear. Was hoping this would fill my needs and it did for about 17 days and then went totally haywire. Unfortunate really.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7