Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Networking dropping after firmware update

eebarry
Aspirant

Networking dropping after firmware update

I have an RBR40 Ordbi Router, and the network keeps dropping. Not just losing internet access, but dropping connectivity all together. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't think it is an ISP issue as the whole WIFI network goes down. Should I do a factory reset? Any other thoughts?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
eebarry
Aspirant

That seemed to have worked. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 10
eebarry
Aspirant

Hello- The firmware version is V2.5.1.16. The modem is a Arris TM1602. We haven't had a problem until today, seemingly after the firmware update. Orbi is in Router mode (I believe). Home is 3,000 SF, and the satelitte was within 30 feet. However, I've unplugged the satellite to see if that was the problem. Couple of WiFi neighbors nearby. 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Something to try..

Message 4 of 10
eebarry
Aspirant

I haven't done that, but I will. We were using Circle for parental controls. Wonder if the fix NetGear is trying is causing a problem.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and this time, don't enable Armor or Circle and see. 

Message 6 of 10
80AM33
Aspirant

I was having lots of issues after the 2.5.1.16 update. Most of my WiFi devices wouldn’t connect I.E. phones, smart switches etc. I tried using the Orbi app but it isn’t very feature rich, so I ended up logging directly into the router via 192.168.1.1. I looked around and didn’t see anything amiss but this thread gave me the idea to check out the parental controls. They were both off, so I turned one on, hit apply, then turned it off and hit apply again. Did the same to the other parental control option. After that everything connected automatically and my problems were solved.
Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a back up configuration to file. 
Also try a factoy reset and setup from scratch next time after a FW update if you encounter problems. 

Enjoy. 

@80AM33 wrote:
I was having lots of issues after the 2.5.1.16 update. Most of my WiFi devices wouldn’t connect I.E. phones, smart switches etc. I tried using the Orbi app but it isn’t very feature rich, so I ended up logging directly into the router via 192.168.1.1. I looked around and didn’t see anything amiss but this thread gave me the idea to check out the parental controls. They were both off, so I turned one on, hit apply, then turned it off and hit apply again. Did the same to the other parental control option. After that everything connected automatically and my problems were solved.

Message 8 of 10
eebarry
Aspirant

That seemed to have worked. Thank you!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 😉 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors